Providing cooling for Lipos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truevine

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I bought a NHX RC 1/5 Twin Cyclone Alum HV Cooling Fans for my 1/6th motor for my Super Baja Rey 2.0. Turns out the batteries were getting hot and puffing on a 19 tooth pinion. I noticed that most cars didn't provide much airflow for the lipos. Does anyone have an opinion or experience on whether the air stirred up and cooling the esc and motor would benefit the lipos also? Anyone has experience with those NHX fans? Thanks.

Few questions:
1. What ESC are you running?
2. What LiPos?
3. What connectors?

For example an XLX2 will eat up cheap lipos and small connectors for breakfast.
Many times if you are trying to pull 250 amps through a zeee lipo for example it wont last long at all.

I bought a NHX RC 1/5 Twin Cyclone Alum HV Cooling Fans for my 1/6th motor for my Super Baja Rey 2.0. Turns out the batteries were getting hot and puffing on a 19 tooth pinion. I noticed that most cars didn't provide much airflow for the lipos. Does anyone have an opinion or experience on whether the air stirred up and cooling the esc and motor would benefit the lipos also? Anyone has experience with those NHX fans? Thanks.
No amount of cooling is going to help lipos. You need better stronger batteries. You cannot fan away overdrawing a battery's discharge limit. For Super Baja Rey you really need to get some higher end batteries. SMC or CNHL Racing packs over 6000mah are good options.

Few questions:
1. What ESC are you running?
2. What LiPos?
3. What connectors?

For example an XLX2 will eat up cheap lipos and small connectors for breakfast.
Many times if you are trying to pull 250 amps through a zeee lipo for example it wont last long at all.
Hobbywing Max 5 and stock motor. EC5 connectors and SMC HCL-HVP Flight 22.8V-5300mAh-75C lipos.

The same thing happened repeatedly with CNHL 5600mah 120C 4S (2x) lipos for 8S. With these it began dropping cells.

Hobbywing Max 5 and stock motor. EC5 connectors and SMC HCL-HVP Flight 22.8V-5300mAh-75C lipos.

The same thing happened repeatedly with CNHL 5600mah 120C 4S (2x) lipos for 8S. With these it began dropping cells.
Yeah I would bump the connector up to QS8 and get the higher end SMC packs with higher capacity. The resistance might be causing ripple voltage which can wreck havoc on the whole system. Shoot for at least 150C SMC at least 7000mah or CNHL 9500 90C Racing packs.

Yeah I would bump the connector up to QS8 and get the higher end SMC packs with higher capacity. The resistance might be causing ripple voltage which can wreck havoc on the whole system. Shoot for at least 150C SMC at least 7000mah or CNHL 9500 90C Racing packs.
I'd have to change all my connectors - even on my chargers. I'll have to try that if there are no other answers because I'm tired of losing CNHL and SMC lipos. My trusty 850 watts Trakstar soldering station that I had for years just went dead.

I'd have to change all my connectors - even on my chargers. I'll have to try that if there are no other answers because I'm tired of losing CNHL and SMC lipos. My trusty 850 watts Trakstar soldering station that I had for years just went dead.
You only need to get or make a converter cable for the charger and have the plug on the ESC changed, then get two 4s packs you dedicate for that car.

In my opinion the only CNHL packs worth getting are the G+ 70c packs. The rest are not as good for amperage handling.

I am a bit shocked you had issues with the SMC HCL-HVP Flight 22.8V-5300mAh-75C. That lipo is just as powerful as their SRD lineup. It very well could be the connector causing the issues with heat. The only way to really know would be to drive it like you have and then pop the top and shoot the wires lipo and connectors with an IR temp gun. From what I have seen in some testing videos the wires and connectors get hotter than anything else in the system.

Agreed, I don't think heat is your main problem. But unless you have data to back that up (you've been checking lipo temperature with IR gun or at least by feel mid way through run) then it's hard to say for sure. I'd say it's worth easing into your next set of batteries -- run them slower or shorter than you usually do. IE, run for a minute or two and check temps. If everything is good, then run a little bit more/a little while longer. Check again, etc. Incrementally work your way up to "proof" power levels.

Agreed, I don't think heat is your main problem. But unless you have data to back that up (you've been checking lipo temperature with IR gun or at least by feel mid way through run) then it's hard to say for sure. I'd say it's worth easing into your next set of batteries -- run them slower or shorter than you usually do. IE, run for a minute or two and check temps. If everything is good, then run a little bit more/a little while longer. Check again, etc. Incrementally work your way up to "proof" power levels.
Thanks, good idea.
In my opinion the only CNHL packs worth getting are the G+ 70c packs. The rest are not as good for amperage handling.

I am a bit shocked you had issues with the SMC HCL-HVP Flight 22.8V-5300mAh-75C. That lipo is just as powerful as their SRD lineup. It very well could be the connector causing the issues with heat. The only way to really know would be to drive it like you have and then pop the top and shoot the wires lipo and connectors with an IR temp gun. From what I have seen in some testing videos the wires and connectors get hotter than anything else in the system.
I did feel a tremendous amount of heat. I didn't measure but it did feel like more than usual. Two CNHL 4S 5600mah 120C dropped a cell. Then the SMC dropped two. I've gotten some lipo voltage testers and I've set them to 3.8v. I've also set my Max 5 to shut down early.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back