Pulling my hair out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnytoofast

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
Hay folks.
So I'm doing all I can to figure out why at around 105 -108ish my limitless wants to become a damn plane and take flight and land 75 feet into a corn feild. What the H E double hocky sticks am I doing wrong?
Let me break it down
Running xlx2 800kv (45/24) gears
V2 gp5 42/15 diffs
Bsr purples.
What am I doing wrong? Seems like not enough down force in the front but not sure how to accomplish that.
I see these guys running 170s and not a problem.

I know from the guys here and watching Raz on you tube. The front must be low. About 1/2 inch high. The rear must squat evenly. And gt style bodies are the way to go. And a good rear spoiler. Batwing style is popular. But the experts will weigh in soon.

What does the rake of your setup look like? Need some pics to help for sure so we can see the rake, rear wing front splitter, shock setting etc. I've ran mine open wheel up to 138mph and on stock Hoons at that only wreck was due to rock causing front to lift and it took flight.
Currently running very similar setup with XLX2, 1717, GP5 diffs and purple BSR foams full Basherqueen CF kit, but again need to see how yours sits and how your running rear wing, front splitter and how shocks are set. Here's how mine sits and as I said have done up to 138 but with MMX8S and different motor but setup for rake etc hasn't changed
IMG_20210725_162016976.jpg

Last edited:
What does the rake of your setup look like? Need some pics to help for sure so we can see the rake, rear wing front splitter, shock setting etc. I've ran mine open wheel up to 138mph and on stock Hoons at that only wreck was due to rock causing front to lift and it took flight.
Currently running very similar setup with XLX2, 1717, GP5 diffs and purple BSR foams full Basherqueen CF kit, but again need to see how yours sits and how your running rear wing, front splitter and how shocks are set. Here's how mine sits and as I said have done up to 138 but with MMX8S and different motor but setup for rake etc hasn't changedView attachment 160269
Gonna take some rebuilding after this last flight. But I had the front splitter to where my finger tips could just barely fit under it.

Gonna take some rebuilding after this last flight. But I had the front splitter to where my finger tips could just barely fit under it.
It's more than just having the front lowered need to have the rear shocks tightened all the way down to eliminate squat and might even need to add bump stops to fully eliminate any travel. Front shocks also need to be nice and stiff, rear wing trimmed to lowest line. I don't run the front air dams either or cut any of the body like above. Also are you taping the body to the chassis so you don't have air getting inside causing parachuting. Make sure your running in wind 5mph or less and try not to run into the wind at all, no big bumps or cracks etc in the road. Definitely not as easy as some of us make it seem and takes a lot of fine tuning and adjustments besides nice even smooth pulls as a hard pull could cause just enough squat to then have the front be higher and then it takes flight.

It's more than just having the front lowered need to have the rear shocks tightened all the way down to eliminate squat and might even need to add bump stops to fully eliminate any travel. Front shocks also need to be nice and stiff, rear wing trimmed to lowest line. I don't run the front air dams either or cut any of the body like above. Also are you taping the body to the chassis so you don't have air getting inside causing parachuting. Make sure your running in wind 5mph or less and try not to run into the wind at all, no big bumps or cracks etc in the road. Definitely not as easy as some of us make it seem and takes a lot of fine tuning and adjustments besides nice even smooth pulls as a hard pull could cause just enough squat to then have the front be higher and then it takes flight.
I will try everything you mentioned and I'll post my results. Thanks for taking the time to break it down for me

/\

This should get you straightened out. A healthy amount of rake in the setup plus very stiff rear should fix it. As mentioned travel limiters using plastic or rubber is best to limit how much you will allow the suspension to travel. The OGs of speed running first did this with zip ties on the shock shaft as a quick fix. Nitro fuel tube is another easy method.

It is also worth noting that you can get stiffer springs from Arrma or the aftermarket has some also

1627310154009.png

Last edited:
Not to sure why you aren’t a fan of cutting out the rear on the lim.. the typhon has no rear air blocking at all. Not trying to be an ass.. just curious about not expelling the air in the lim or the infraction

Never said I wasn't a fan just don't see a need is all and not going to cut up the body if it's not a proven beneficial help for anything. I try to follow some of the best and again haven't heard or seen anyone cutting the rear out or talking about it being helpful in any way. As it is rear is already open so again don't see any benefit from it. So far I've personally done 138mph with it not being cut and haven't had a single issue so not going to fix what isn't broken. Now with the XLX2 on a center brace I had to raise rear of the body so I probably have more open room back there than it stock height and being cut like you do. But again main reason is never heard of anyone doing it or any benefit from cutting it so don't plan to try and fix or change something that doesn't need it or add any benefit.

Never said I wasn't a fan just don't see a need is all and not going to cut up the body if it's not a proven beneficial help for anything. I try to follow some of the best and again haven't heard or seen anyone cutting the rear out or talking about it being helpful in any way. As it is rear is already open so again don't see any benefit from it. So far I've personally done 138mph with it not being cut and haven't had a single issue so not going to fix what isn't broken. Now with the XLX2 on a center brace I had to raise rear of the body so I probably have more open room back there than it stock height and being cut like you do. But again main reason is never heard of anyone doing it or any benefit from cutting it so don't plan to try and fix or change something that doesn't need it or add any benefit.
I can understand that.. I respect your opinions without a doubt. Leave it to me to get butt hurt on something so trivial. All good brother, I tried to leave the back of the delta body but its almost impossible. My take was looking at top fuel funny cars and looking at what they leave in the rear and then they even add flaps. My apologies. 👍🏼🤘🏼

I can understand that.. I respect your opinions without a doubt. Leave it to me to get butt hurt on something so trivial. All good brother, I tried to leave the back of the delta body but its almost impossible. My take was looking at top fuel funny cars and looking at what they leave in the rear and then they even add flaps. My apologies. 👍🏼🤘🏼
No worries or hard feelings at all👊 I totally see where your coming from I just don't see a need for it is all. Also I tape my body down to prevent parachuting so really no air should be entering body except right at the rear where it opens up and where you cut. It's all about little things though that can make a difference so worth a consideration for sure. Just like I shrink wrap my front upper arms to help that little bit extra with aero. Also been really considering some shock sleeves for front as I'd think that would possibly help smooth the front out some more but again haven't seen or heard of the shock sleeves just covering the upper arms. Not sure what speeds your running but let me know if your setup is staying planted and running smooth as I said have to try new things and get all the advantage possible especially running open wheel like I am. Hoping Castle gets their sh!t in gear and I get my 1717 1650kv back and fixed right this time soon. Otherwise I've got some taller pinions that should get me into 140's with the 1717 1260kv and XLX2 I'm running now just have to see which shows up first.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back