Punch vs cog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pierre1111

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
What’s it mean if you have your punch all the way up and get cogging, but turn it down some and the cogging goes away? Cogging only happens when at standstill and high throttle. Low throttle acceleration is smooth and can make it to top speed.

Is it possible the batteries can’t keep up with current demand, or maybe esc has hit a current limit? I can’t exactly see the status led while the vehicle is moving so it’s hard to say for sure.

This is a HW ezrun max8 4268 g2 combo running on 4s, 15t pinion, outcast 2.5.

If your drivetrain is smooth with the pinion/motor disengaged using that setup, I’d agree the lipo can’t overcome the ESC’s demand. Are you running sensored? Try disconnecting, any turbo/boost motor timing or delay changes ? Disable LVC, lots of options to troubleshoot with that setup.

All settings are stock other then punch moved from 5 to 9. Yes sensored - it’s the Hobbywing g2 factory combo. I thought sensored was never supposed to cog which is why I’m surprised.

Turbo timing is off (stock).

LVC is set to medium stock which is 3.1v/cell. Good call on lvc, I can temporarily disable it to see what will happen. Is there anything else to check?

What do you mean disconnecting…. The sensor cable? Isn’t running uncensored more likely to cog?

So I’m 99% sure now it’s the batteries. I was driving around without a body on trying to replicate with the punch back at max and lvc disabled. Still cogged consistently from stand still and max throttle.

One time I kept on the throttle. Instead of it smoothing out and taking off like it always did I noticed it came to a stop. I walked up to it with my finger holding the throttle at max and sure enough the red led on the esc was flashing. If I’m reading the instructions right the only red light error code during driving on these means lvc cutoff was hit.

So now I am trying to figure out what an appropriate high current 4s lipo is for this setup. This is currently a hoovoo 120c 6200mah unit which has otherwise served me well

Or perhaps it’s time to jump up to 6s as ultimately this is a 6s-1/8 combo and I’m shoehorning it into a rig that’s almost 1/8 size. Well, no that won’t work as this motor only supports 4s, the 4278 version does 6s.

So I’m 99% sure now it’s the batteries. I was driving around without a body on trying to replicate with the punch back at max and lvc disabled. Still cogged consistently from stand still and max throttle.

One time I kept on the throttle. Instead of it smoothing out and taking off like it always did I noticed it came to a stop. I walked up to it with my finger holding the throttle at max and sure enough the red led on the esc was flashing. If I’m reading the instructions right the only red light error code during driving on these means lvc cutoff was hit.

So now I am trying to figure out what an appropriate high current 4s lipo is for this setup. This is currently a hoovoo 120c 6200mah unit which has otherwise served me well

Or perhaps it’s time to jump up to 6s as ultimately this is a 6s-1/8 combo and I’m shoehorning it into a rig that’s almost 1/8 size. Well, no that won’t work as this motor only supports 4s, the 4278 version does 6s.
try a g-e-n-s a-c-e 4s 100c, I've had great luck with these in 8000mah, even on my mm2 2200kv k6 at max punch.

Back