Putting out Li-Po fires with Washing Up Liquid / Dish Soap??!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_4179.jpeg
Anyone heard of putting out a Li-Po fire with with washing up liquid? Or dish soap for our American friends😉. Just saw this post on Reddit and it intrigued me, might put a bottle next to my charge station, just in case 🤷🏻‍♂️

Very interesting! Makes me want to try it.. 🤪

Ps, my lipo’s charge right next to the kitchen so I’ve got plenty of dish soap handy. 😉

He should have waited a bit longer for the flames to shoot out..

But this is a Very interesting method of extinguishing Lipos!

Time to swing my Costco for their 10 gallon twin pack of dish soap...

Will need to separate it out to smaller portions and keep some in our 1:1 cars.

:unsure: dish soap, not just for baby ducks anymore.

Save the animals from oil spills
Wash our RCs
Put out Lipo fires

Their marketing exposure is going to explode!! 💥🤪

I'm wondering if a 50/50 mixture in water would be good? Put some in a squirt gun and keep it handy by the charging station? Always good to have more knowledge about stuff. In a pinch, I'd rather know that dish soap can at least "calm" a runaway lipo.

Based on the lipo extinguisher product i posted a while back, they said it was "non-toxic" and "non-corrosive". Makes me wonder if they just used dish soap in it all along... :unsure:

I don't know man??? :rolleyes: The theory just doesn't work IMHO. . The way the chemistry of a lipo works and all... Thermal runaway and all. Much also depends on how fully charged the lipo is to begin with. IMHO.
Need to first try that myself to believe it.
Could just be an RC Urban Myth??? Like the many out there.;)
I have 5 lipos here sitting in my Barby to recycle. I will ignite/puncture one to see for myself. :cool:
Just I am not a believer....

I don't know man??? :rolleyes: The theory just doesn't work IMHO. . The way the chemistry of a lipo works and all... Thermal runaway and all. Much also depends on how fully charged the lipo is to begin with. IMHO.
Need to first try that myself to believe it.
Could just be an RC Urban Myth??? Like the many out there.;)
I have 5 lipos here sitting in my Barby to recycle. I will ignite/puncture one to see for myself. :cool:
Just I am not a believer....

I would have to agree.

It was just too mild a test to confirm it actually works...

Plus it was such a small battery (that we don't even know IF it was charged) to test against.

I want to see it tested on a more Beefy FULLY Charged 8S Lipo!

Last edited:
I'm going to have to do some testing myself to see how effective this method is..
Staying tuned. Video or it didn’t happen! 😊

I agree it’s hardly conclusive but interesting none the less. Hopefully someone can test it more completely and competently and report back, would love to know for sure. Clearly something out there works because they have lithium battery extinguishers, just need to find what it is🤷🏻‍♂️.

I was under the impression once a lipo started cooking cutting off the oxygen supply wouldn't stop it. But I would love to know if this works.

Don't know what to think, putting liquid soap on after the flareup already happened? Doesn't get worse once it's over.
Looks like it just made a bigger mess, but didn't do much else? It will put out the smoldering rest, but that is after the worst is done.
I'd be impressed if he added this right at flare-up, and it would have put it out. I doubt it will, though.

Lithium cells generate their own oxygen and fuel supply internally, which is why they can continue to burn for days depending on certain scenarios (Tesla anyone?). All this is doing is smothering the smoke with a thick gel that prevents the smoke from escaping, it's not actually extinguishing anything. Sand does exactly the same thing, it helps smother the smoke/fire and prevent it from escaping, but the cells are very much still burning internally.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back