Granite Questions about diffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truehavoc

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
So new to forum, and well posting on any forum, on my granite blx v3 my rear diff stripped out on one side, I ordered the HR kits with the cases as well, replacing both diffs not just rear, would I need to swap out the yokes as well or should stock be alright my drive shafts and all is pretty much stock and was wondering if thats OK or will the new diffs kill them, haha silly questions but we all were new at one point, this granite is my entry into the hobby, oh and it is the brushless as well, and what oils/grease should I use with the new setup that I could get locally instead of relying online? Thank you all for your time! Oh and not a huge basher, haven't done jumps and all just track or street fun, thanks again guys!.

Surprised to hear the actual diff gear stripped out. I’m assuming you are referring to the internal gears of the diff. Or are you referring to the large sun gear that goes with the input gear? Go ahead and open up the diff and see what is damaged. No real need for the hr diff in my opinion. You may want to replace the yokes. The yokes are the limiting factor as the plastic is not very precise. Overall I have stock diffs and have no issues. Sometimes the yokes are too tight from the factory and you need to add shims or back off the screws a little.

Surprised to hear the actual diff gear stripped out. I’m assuming you are referring to the internal gears of the diff. Or are you referring to the large sun gear that goes with the input gear? Go ahead and open up the diff and see what is damaged. No real need for the hr diff in my opinion. You may want to replace the yokes. The yokes are the limiting factor as the plastic is not very precise. Overall I have stock diffs and have no issues. Sometimes the yokes are too tight from the factory and you need to add shims or back off the screws a little.
Yeah I took them apart not the big spur but the little one don't know how it happened, just hit the gas and heard a nasty grind, thought a rock got caught somewhere, but I have a pic, just plastic caked grease lol, like stated I don't jump this thing haha just street and track fun, being my first I'd hate to bash it yet lol, but I did order the steel parts though so the yokes is a must then ey? Before anything I looked up how to set your slipper and all and did that, this is the only issue I have had with this rig.

16286058363266308399328619439595.jpg

Diffs are usually pretty solid. Check you motor mount plate to see if it bent. This is a common issue and may cause the input gear to strip.
https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...-bevel-gears-hd-13t-bearings-senton-ara4302v3
Clean it up, slap a new input gear in there, add red and tacky grease and your good to go.
The rear diff is the one that gets worn quickly. I check mine about every 10-15 runs. Front one stays nice and clean.

Last edited:
Will check that out when I get back from vacation for sure! I don't know how it would bend unless for the cartwheel I did long ago, didn't mean to turn to fast haha, but yeah I took it out to walk down to my buddies house ran fine, hit the gas and did a wheelie, and just heard the grinding noise was odd, my buddies all bought a rig then mine goes down, guess it's how it is lol.

If you have ordered the HR steel input and crown gear you need the composite diff cup as well.

I'm constantly doing rear diffs in more than one of my Arrma 3s's. I've ordered the Arrma replacement steel diff set for the rear of my Big Rock. But I do like to send it.

Hard to tell the condition of the input gear's teeth from that photo. The teeth of the differential actually look OK. That input gear is way off center though. Are the input gear bearings OK? Is the input gear itself bent? Is the yoke damaged/warped?

Hard to tell the condition of the input gear's teeth from that photo. The teeth of the differential actually look OK. That input gear is way off center though. Are the input gear bearings OK? Is the input gear itself bent? Is the yoke damaged/warped?
Sorry been at work, bearings were all new had the fast Eddie's pack, yeah silly me didn't put another picture up of the good side of the input gear one side was grinded down from sharp points to little round nubs, I got the originals in the mail before the HR ones I'll just use the stock ones for now until I have the steel yokes, sorry about not having the comparison picture up too new to this but I appreciate all the help and advice I'll post the other picture here in a min. Again I appreciate all the help guys!
Yeah I took them apart not the big spur but the little one don't know how it happened, just hit the gas and heard a nasty grind, thought a rock got caught somewhere, but I have a pic, just plastic caked grease lol, like stated I don't jump this thing haha just street and track fun, being my first I'd hate to bash it yet lol, but I did order the steel parts though so the yokes is a must then ey? Before anything I looked up how to set your slipper and all and did that, this is the only issue I have had with this rig.

View attachment 162980

16286454278513173683924509933531.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back