RC Reviews Pet Peeve

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Branson_Basher

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
Am I the only one that hates it when youtubers review a center diff. rc and run it with the grease that the manufacturer puts in there?

We all know that's just rust preventative. No one runs them with the factory grease beyond a functions check.

Ok, for a first impressions "out of the box" run I get it but to leave it like that and close the review is like getting half a review.

"It bleeds too much power to the front" "It's hard to steer while on the throttle" "The front tires balloon a lot"

Come on, man! It's a center diff rc and you know it's only got grease in there. Half the run time evaluation should be done with a reasonable diff oil set up.

I know these guys have busy lives but if they don't have the time to run the rc with a reasonable diff set up then maybe do fewer reviews?
Make the reviews a two video format? One video stock out of the box and a follow up with diff oil.

Just venting about my new pet peeve here...

Am I the only one that hates it when youtubers review a center diff. rc and run it with the grease that the manufacturer puts in there?

We all know that's just rust preventative. No one runs them with the factory grease beyond a functions check.

Ok, for a first impressions "out of the box" run I get it but to leave it like that and close the review is like getting half a review.

"It bleeds too much power to the front" "It's hard to steer while on the throttle" "The front tires balloon a lot"

Come on, man! It's a center diff rc and you know it's only got grease in there. Half the run time evaluation should be done with a reasonable diff oil set up.

I know these guys have busy lives but if they don't have the time to run the rc with a reasonable diff set up then maybe do fewer reviews?
Make the reviews a two video format? One video stock out of the box and a follow up with diff oil.

Just venting about my new pet peeve here...
Even worse than that are the guys who do an unboxing and review in the same video without even running the truck. How the heck can you review something that you haven't even run yet? You cannot even give a product a fair review from running it once.............. at least run it for a month or longer than make a review.

This is one of the reasons I like @Aussie RC Playground he does an unboxing, then he does a running video and speed run on the the stock setup, then he does a few more videos with things he changed and explains why he did those changes then a few months later after he has had some time to actually run the truck he does a review.

I don't want to talk too much smack about other channels, but most people's "review" of an RC car basically consists of: "I drove it up and down the street and it went 50mph" and "I crashed it into a tree and it didn't break, so... it's durable!!!".

If you're really lucky they'll say, "oh it handles GOOD". WTF does GOOD even mean?

Honestly, that's about as much as they understand about RC cars, so they're running into the limit of what they're able to review.

Last edited:
Even worse than that are the guys who do an unboxing and review in the same video without even running the truck. How the heck can you review something that you haven't even run yet? You cannot even give a product a fair review from running it once.............. at least run it for a month or longer than make a review.

This is one of the reasons I like @Aussie RC Playground he does an unboxing, then he does a running video and speed run on the the stock setup, then he does a few more videos with things he changed and explains why he did those changes then a few months later after he has had some time to actually run the truck he does a review.

First impression and first review shouldn't have such blurred lines. But "review," as we all know is what gets the views. Only megas get views from their personal first impressions.

I don't want to talk too much smack about other channels, but most people's "review" of an RC car basically consists of: "I drove it up and down the street and it went 50mph!!!" and "I crashed it into a tree and it didn't break, so... it's durable!!!".

If you're really lucky they'll say, "oh it handles GOOD". WTF does GOOD even mean?

Honestly, that's about as much as they understand about RC cars, so they're running into the limit of what they're able to review.

Video quality makes a big difference as well. I know not everyone has a 4k super HD $2,000 camera but come on even the cheapos on Amazon have better video quality than some of the videos I see on Youtube.

The worst one I ever saw, I think it was for a Redcat or Exceed vehicle, it was just some kid in his poorly lit basement. Video looked like it was recorded on a potato and it was super dark.

Video quality makes a big difference as well. I know not everyone has a 4k super HD $2,000 camera but come on even the cheapos on Amazon have better video quality than some of the videos I see on Youtube.

The worst one I ever saw, I think it was for a Redcat or Exceed vehicle, it was just some kid in his poorly lit basement. Video looked like it was recorded on a potato and it was super dark.

I'm too embarrassed to say what my equipment is, but I at least try to make sure there's decent lighting and acceptable audio.

KillerOffroadHobbyz also does solid reviews and will put up a few running videos on cars he is reviewing. That guy will also tune diffs and try a new shock set up if it needs tweaked. Before sitting down to give a final opinion of the car he has a good bit of run time and he comes across as an honest dude trying to give good advice to a friend thinking about buying the car.

Huge shout out to him.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQNyd7Ql36lr8KYguK8lJyA

I won't name the guy but there's a pretty big channel run by a guy who used to race, owns a hobby shop and sure as hell knows how to tune diffs. Does he? Nope. Runs 'em stock and talks all about ballooning front tires and poor steering

KillerOffroadHobbyz also does solid reviews and will put up a few running videos on cars he is reviewing. That guy will also tune diffs and try a new shock set up if it needs tweaked. Before sitting down to give a final opinion of the car he has a good bit of run time and he comes across as an honest dude trying to give good advice to a friend thinking about buying the car.

Huge shout out to him.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQNyd7Ql36lr8KYguK8lJyA

I won't name the guy but there's a pretty big channel run by a guy who used to race, owns a hobby shop and sure as hell knows how to tune diffs. Does he? Nope. Runs 'em stock and talks all about ballooning front tires and poor steering

I've always liked Gary's videos.

KORH is legit. If a guy is honest, can drive, and actually understands RC cars, they get a sub. I try to give him a shoutout whenever I can in my videos.

I honestly have no idea who that is.

I've watched some of your videos and You actually make very clear, informative, and interesting vids. Keep up the good work man ??

Thanks!

KORH is legit. If a guy is honest, can drive, and actually understands RC cars, they get a sub. I try to give him a shoutout whenever I can in my videos.

I honestly have no idea who that is.
I'm pretty sure I know exactly who he is talking about. I won't name names either but someone recently posted one of his videos in a thread where he unboxed and reviewed the vehicle all in 1 video after only running the vehicle once.

I'm thinking I'll start leaving polite, well written comments to make my argument that their review has little value and suggest a better format for a valuable review.

Maybe they'll take notice and change the way they review cars.

I'm pretty sure I know exactly who he is talking about. I won't name names either but someone recently posted one of his videos in a thread where he unboxed and reviewed the vehicle all in 1 video after only running the vehicle once.

Quite frankly, that's what RCDriver_Online does.

Quite frankly, that's what RCDriver_Online does.

I mean, everyone should make up their own minds. RCD_O does an amazing job of production quality, editing, even his running footage looks pretty darn good considering he's out their running around by himself. That stuff alone is taking him hours of work, so I give him credit for the effort he puts in. Trust me, it's a lot of work to get the videos that good. He also puts in a lot of work tearing down the cars and figuring out a lot of the design elements that 95% of YT channels can't even comprehend. He also reviews at least 1 car a month I would guess, which is pretty high output for someone with a family, a real job, etc.

Every channel, every person has their pros and cons, just gotta look closely and figure out what's going on and decide on what it is that you're looking for.

Saw a guy review a truck that he didn't even have. He based it off of what he's seen in other videos. He may have seen the truck in a hobby ñ shop. It was ridiculous.

Another thing that is annoying is when the reviewer can't drive. I'm not talking about zipping around a track. I'm talking reviewing a basher and the person can't bash for sh!t. Hard to see how a truck performs when the person can barely land a single jump.

Hey, I can land a jump! ;)

I was ranting about a trend I've seen develop in just these past two, or three years. Some channels that are well established have declined in how thoroughly they test a car. I'm not naming anyone in particular because it's becoming common.

I can be an understanding guy. I get it that it's not easy to film videos, especially by yourself. I'll bet only 1/3 of the footage they film makes it into their review. I certainly appreciate slow motion shots and big air jumps. Good videos get views and views make them youtube celebrities. Cool.

However, there is no way that it can be considered a decent test of how a car performs if you don't fill the danged diffs with fluid. To then go on and harp on the ballooning tires, bleeding power to the front and poor steering is just plain ignorant.

Hearing that junk from people who sure as heck know better has become a pet peeve. It's intellectual dishonesty.

They know why the car is doing that and they don't even discuss filling the diffs. Worse is when they act like it's just something the car does and shrug about it.

If they won't put oil in the diffs then they shouldn't review cars with a center diff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back