Newbie RC Safety

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroK

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
Over the weekend at the hobby shop doing my best not to be impulsive and buy more stuff. A mother and her two kids were there and she bought her son a blue Kraton 6s. 8 or 9 years old and I assume it is his first large rc as he also got lipo batteries (2x 3s) and a charger. Mum had no clue about the Kraton and sales person was busy with the boy. Never seen a happier kid holding a box almost as big as him.

I think its great to get into this hobby and do more positive activities at an early age. Should there some warning or at least a brief lecture/pamphlet by hobby shops on the safety of operating the rc and more importantly, lipo handling especially for newbies. People young and old are getting into this hobby but its a steep and dangerous learning curve without the proper help and guidance.

With batteries fully charged, imagine the Kraton first test drive is inside the house (Not saying the kid is irresponsible, just my opinion of what I would have done at that age).

Over the weekend at the hobby shop doing my best not to be impulsive and buy more stuff. A mother and her two kids were there and she bought her son a blue Kraton 6s. 8 or 9 years old and I assume it is his first large rc as he also got lipo batteries (2x 3s) and a charger. Mum had no clue about the Kraton and sales person was busy with the boy. Never seen a happier kid holding a box almost as big as him.

I think its great to get into this hobby and do more positive activities at an early age. Should there some warning or at least a brief lecture/pamphlet by hobby shops on the safety of operating the rc and more importantly, lipo handling especially for newbies. People young and old are getting into this hobby but its a steep and dangerous learning curve without the proper help and guidance.

With batteries fully charged, imagine the Kraton first test drive is inside the house (Not saying the kid is irresponsible, just my opinion of what I would have done at that age).
:oops: very dangerous that hope there's a dad at home to do the homework before charging the lipos and running the car even on 4s it would be dangerous for a 9 year old

:oops: very dangerous that hope there's a dad at home to do the homework before charging the lipos and running the car even on 4s it would be dangerous for a 9 year old
Very true. Could not go up to the lady and ask "Is there a Dad/Man of the house?"...would be the beginning of non RC related trouble for me if she said NO
;)

Just being a smart ass now, but you know that’s why God made emergency rooms. Didn’t I see someplace where they say this is an adult RC. I once had a friend that had an RC helicopter 450 class. He fired it up in the living room, carbon fiber blades. I think he got lucky with only 100 stitches. Even adults makes stupid decisions..

Page one or the manual.🤷
1711382775194.png

In my own experience age dosent change a thing my 41yo dad hit himself with the big Red cat rc at full speed

He had a huge bruise on his ankle for awhile

Hopefully this will be a good learning lesson for her. Money on the Kraton being all of the 60mph+ the box says! I just think of all the nice stuff that kid can run over for Youtube views!

For context, my son is 9 (very close to 10) and runs a Kraton 6s EXB. I am with him EVERY TIME without fail and I will not run my truck while he is driving. The throttle is also limited to 50% so I can try to maintain a safe environment for him and limit chances for damage or even worse. It helps significantly that he is locked into what he is doing and has the mindset to be responsible when driving. We just started jumping in the backyard and his first comment was "that was intense". Any unsupervised use of an RC this powerful is simply negligent and very wrong.
I'll also add that I am the one physically plugging in and charging batteries. He follows along as I explain the steps but, he is entirely too young to be working with lipo batts unsupervised.

To add, I feel it is the responsibility of a good human being to make the parent aware of the dangers before buying. Also, If under 14, no sale. 18 or older is even better.

EDIT: We also run the cars where no one will be around or in the path of our trucks. Mostly restricted to the back yard for now.

For context, my son is 9 (very close to 10) and runs a Kraton 6s EXB. I am with him EVERY TIME without fail and I will not run my truck while he is driving. The throttle is also limited to 50% so I can try to maintain a safe environment for him and limit chances for damage or even worse. It helps significantly that he is locked into what he is doing and has the mindset to be responsible when driving. We just started jumping in the backyard and his first comment was "that was intense". Any unsupervised use of an RC this powerful is simply negligent and very wrong.
I'll also add that I am the one physically plugging in and charging batteries. He follows along as I explain the steps but, he is entirely too young to be working with lipo batts unsupervised.

To add, I feel it is the responsibility of a good human being to make the parent aware of the dangers before buying. Also, If under 14, no sale. 18 or older is even better.

EDIT: We also run the cars where no one will be around or in the path of our trucks. Mostly restricted to the back yard for now.

Excellent. Teaching him values and understanding of the potential dangers of the hobby while under supervision. Well done @I_Am_Doug

Back