RC shutting down, when going full throttle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Imo don't deal with cheap wltoys cars... i broke my 144001 and the pain to get that insert for the arm pins was a mess me not willing to wait 1-2 months for parts i sold it bassicly broken but vixed with superglue. They look good and durable. But for me when i broke them i was like its not worth fixing....maybe because they are cheap a$s cars theres nothing wow about them
I told you it's a throw away car ? use it until it breaks then throw it in the trash and buy a new one.

I have four WLToys a9×9 rc cars. Between myself and friends we have over a dozen. One of mine is a speed run, all aluminum, 50+mph, metal geared, screaming demon made from nothing but upgrade parts. These cars are very inexpensive but EXTREMELY popular for a reason, they were a major advance in rc mass production with some quality in the design as well as a great value. Now they are not perfect but it is not hard to get them close because of their popularity there are tons of upgrades available (but hardly any o.e.m. a979 left side tires! 😂)
Anyway, I have had the same start/stop issues. The 540 and 380 motors both have a pcb on the end. This is where I found our issues with this. Some are not soldered as well as others causing different levels of resistance. This causes the esc/radio to find fault and shutdown power to the motor via its protection modes. My solution that always worked for us is to REMOVE the pcb entirely (the pcb is the green printed circuit board). It is not required for the motor to operate and the radios are 2.4ghz so you won't have radio interference like the old 27 & 75 radios of yesteryear!
Or just go get a $15 17t to 19t modified 3 slot SkyRC/Apex/Radion/whatever brand 540, they are all the exact same motor with the lil triangles cut out the front! Or try 21t team brood trailblazer, they work well in these cars on the stock ESC/gearing.
My favorite a979 Outruns and outperforms a Traxxas Rustler 2wd XL5/12t Titan, both on 2s!
I wish you luck!
(Btw, good upgrades are the aluminum steering upgrade, ballbearings, the carbon fiber chassis, and of course those leaky shocks!)

20220203_134336.jpg

20220203_134410.jpg

Last edited:
I have four WLToys a9×9 rc cars. Between myself and friends we have over a dozen. One of mine is a speed run, all aluminum, 50+mph, metal geared, screaming demon made from nothing but upgrade parts. These cars are very inexpensive but EXTREMELY popular for a reason, they were a major advance in rc mass production with some quality in the design as well as a great value. Now they are not perfect but it is not hard to get them close because of their popularity there are tons of upgrades available (but hardly any o.e.m. a979 left tires! 😂)
Anyway, I have had the same start/stop issues. The 540 and 380 motors both have a pcb on the end. This is where I found our issues with this. Some are not soldered as well as others causing different levels of resistance. This causes the esc/radio to find fault and shutdown power to the motor via its protection modes. My solution that always worked for us is to REMOVE the pcb entirely (the pcb is the green printed circuit board). It is not required for the motor to operate and the radios are 2.4ghz so you won't have radio interference lime the old 27 & 75 radios of yesteryear!
Or just go get a $15 17t to 19t modified 3 slot SkyRC/Apex/Radion/whatever brand 540, they are all the exact same motor with the lil triangles cut out the front! Or try 21t team brood trailblazer, they work well in these cars on the stock ESC/gearing.
My favorite a979 Outruns and outperforms a Traxxas Rustler 2wd XL5/12t Titan, both on 2s!
I wish you luck!
(Btw, good upgrades are the aluminum steering upgrade and the carbon fiber chassis!)

View attachment 205865

View attachment 205866

Matt?

David. Hi Slick. Seems weve posted together b4.
Im a E.E. and Computer Science dude. First R.C. was a Novak powered 240ws motored Kyosho Optima, followed by another, 2 RC10s, a heavily modified Royal-Honda VRF750R motorcycle. Then i had nitros including an early Stampede, a Kyosho Outlaw Rampage and Outlaw Rampage ZR1 Corvette. I have 3 EDF jets, a wright brothers powered sail plane/glider (massive scale) i fly at Kittyhawk Kill Devil Hills N.C. i have 2 BoLinks 1. Original MiniCars-Bolink pancar and a Bolink Drag Rail with Astroflight 5t Drag motor .....outruns any brushless for 30 seconds or less, then i gotta cut power!
I have five Tamiya TT02s 8 use to let kids get into RC. I built them tough and somewhat fast with 80a Turbo ESCs and 13.5t motors from HobbyKing. I own a Senton with 3070 and blx100, a VXL Stampede, Rustler and 1/16 Erevo. Also have five 1/16 XK trucks and buggies for the childrens that wanna try the hobby.
I have a Tamiya TA04 and TRF420X. i also have the Redcat Lightning Drift, and an all original Blackfoot in mint condition. I collected brushed motors for a while. Stopped that, kept two Tisters the red on silver and Silver on red labels handwound by CEO.
My father wrote the first warning label for LiPo batteries so ive had Lipo cars forever. He was an amazing engineer and tought me to solder when i was 7 , have been soldering anything and everything since, even artwork.
It doesn't bother me when forum posters pick someone as "the opposition" and i realize its never going to change. But it really stinks when people cant just learn and teach each other .

No one knows EVERYTHING but IF we can work together we can say we know it ALL!

I hope we can be friendly on the forums. So few places left to enjoy the hobby. Others should chill.out and experience the hobby more as to be enlightened and share their knowledge and experience rather than push hate and distract. Silly humans, we all sux just so bad!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back