RC shutting down, when going full throttle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPK73

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
My rc will cut out when I increase to full throttle. This happens with cold or warm motor. The esc and controller remain on with motor cut out. Still able to use servo. I have to turn off esc then turn back on to get motor to go. I'm ok with little to medium throttle but not full. I'm guessing it's an esc safety shutoff but my car is stock out of the box. Have not done any gear mesh adjustments and the car doesn't sound or appear tight or binding. How do I know if it's an esc issue. Any suggestions

Just a thought but what battery are you running and is it fully charged?
It is cutting out on low voltage alarm?
Give us some info on the vehicle and battery please that will help alot.

Well to start I have a senton but this is actually a non arrma rc. I always get good help on this form so kinda snuck my problem in without it being an arrma. So with that said this was my first rc purchase. Its a wltoys a959b buggy. A great fast 1/18 scale rc for the price. The motor is 540 brushed. The battery is the stock little blue 7.4v 1500mah. The esc an servo are one unit. The battery takes a charge with no problem. I've got 2 extra of the same battery. This happens with any of the batteries. I also use these batteries in my losi mini 8ight with no issues.

I apologize I am not familiar with that vehicle per se' but if it has a jumper on the esc for lipo or nimh make sure it is in the proper position for the battery you run.

I no it's not waterproof, I've tried to make sure to avoid water, but cant say for sure that it's not gotten wet.
If it did get wet is there anything I can do to fix. If so is it a motor,esc, or battery problem. What i mean is which should i replace, cuz they all appear to kinda work. Motor runs, esc works and battery works. It's only when at full throttle.

I have one of those little buggers. Have you had it a long time? Those motors don't last very long but thankfully they are cheap. It could be drawing too much out of the esc. I think the esc is over heating and shutting down itself. When you turn it off/on you probably go for a few seconds and then it shuts off again right?

Last edited:
I have one of those little buggers. Have you had it a long time? Those motors don't last very long but thankfully they are cheap. It could be drawing too much out of the esc. I think the esc is over heating and shutting down itself. When you turn it off/on you probably go for a few seconds and then it shuts off again right?
Yes correct. So this can happen even if just began running it. The car isn't even warm.

It’s a tough call, motor is the cheapest thing to try at less than $10. Esc is around $13 but without the batteries and car in front of me it’s hard to tell. You say it does it with both your batteries, so it could be your charger. Can you check it and your batteries with a multi meter?

The Cap(s) in the ESC are done. I would guess ESC/servo is bricked. Get a new separate ESC and servo upgrade. They are inexpensive for Brushed. Even a new motor would be cheap. Start fresh. Its worth the upgrade, only if you are happy with the rig. I did that in a Redcat that my young son was gifted. The ESC got wet in my case. My son loves puddles. But your symptoms seem the same that I had. .(y) I am not familiar with your rig. This is a my general recommendation.

Thanks everyone for all the input.
How would I go about testing my charger an batteries with a volt meter

A959b wltpys uses a 540 motor and 7.4 lithium battery. If like my son's Redcat. It uses a lithoum Ion battery.1500mah. Just check the volts of the pack with a volt meter. It should be around 8.4v fully charged. The included charger is subpar. Maybe a problem there??

I have this issue with my A979b, any updates to share? When I run full throttle, even from cold, and especially when going into a donut, the it shuts off. The ESC blinks red, instead of constant red.

I have the a959a and upgraded almost everything after buying the main gear (metal) realized it was for the B set up and was a tad slower I then got the 540 motor no issues for the first few runs then started cutting out exactly the same as all of yours and my stock esc was flashing as yours was after warming up, then instantly after that every time! So I got a bigger mah battery but same 7.4 that its been and a new esc B modle to match and the second I plugged it all up and ran it instantly same thing, my motor has a resistor in the back, could I have fried the motor or the resistor that's only thing that's still the same, I only did a few runs with the 540 before it started, has anyone figured out what was causing there issue? Burned out or defective motor or maybe bad esc? Thanks in advance
I have the a959a and upgraded almost everything after buying the main gear (metal) realized it was for the B set up and was a tad slower I then got the 540 motor no issues for the first few runs then started cutting out exactly the same as all of yours and my stock esc was flashing as yours was after warming up, then instantly after that every time! So I got a bigger mah battery but same 7.4 that its been and a new esc B modle to match and the second I plugged it all up and ran it instantly same thing, my motor has a resistor in the back, could I have fried the motor or the resistor that's only thing that's still the same, I only did a few runs with the 540 before it started, has anyone figured out what was causing there issue? Burned out or defective motor or maybe bad esc? Thanks in advance
Also for the few seconds it did run full speed seemed way slower then it ever was.

My money is on battery voltage sag - causing ESC to cut in with low voltage protection.
I believe the stock batteries with the WL toys car is rated at something ridiculous like 2c. (Which equates to 3 amps constant)
I’d try a bigger C rated battery pack and go from there
Perhaps try one of these:

[£8.23 38% OFF]ZOP Power 7.4V 1500mAh 2S 25C Lipo Battery T Plug for for WLtoys 144001 A959-B A969-B A979-B 1/18 Rc Car RC Parts from Toys Hobbies and Robot on banggood.com https://banggood.app.link/BJSPtEfLc7

Last edited:
The problem is with the stock motor (they are not build equally), some draw too much Amp and esc cut out. I bought a new stock A959-B and have the same problem. I would suggest returning it or change out the motor. I got tried with burning motors due to overheat, so I replaced it with a 18V 6A motor from a dead Hoover Vaccum LOL, and have it running on 3S 8A 3300mAh Li-ion + other metal upgrades of course. Esc cut off if I used 3S Li-po.

Imo don't deal with cheap wltoys cars... i broke my 144001 and the pain to get that insert for the arm pins was a mess me not willing to wait 1-2 months for parts i sold it bassicly broken but vixed with superglue. They look good and durable. But for me when i broke them i was like its not worth fixing....maybe because they are cheap a$s cars theres nothing wow about them

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back