Kraton RCAWD 3s/4s Pivot Balls?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrLimey

Reaction score
Hey All,

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the RCAWD steel pivot ball set for the 3s/4s line?

I just replaced the composite balls in my Granite 3s BLX with the Hot Racing aluminum balls, and wasn't overly impressed with the fit. They were slightly too wide and I had to file them down to get the bulkhead ones to insert. The rest, the plastic did stretch to accommodate them. The shock balls were also slightly too big and required some extreme force to insert.

I'm looking to replace the composite balls in my Kraton 4s now and I'm wondering if the RCAWD ones are any better, or whether I just stick with Hot Racing again because that's as good as it gets?

I wish Arrma would just go ahead and switch these cheese grater composite balls to steel but that doesn't seem likely any time soon. The granite was driving like a drunken sailor again (3rd time replacing composite ends and balls) before the hot racing balls and new ends I just fitted.

Thanks
1701441949244.png

I haven’t tried these.

However, I know for a fact that Associated makes some sweet pivot balls as I have them installed on all my 3s/4s rides. Much better than the OEM and red HR units, for sure. A tad pricey but they’ll last forever, imho.

IMG_9733.jpeg

Last edited:
I haven’t tried these.

However, I know for a fact that Associated makes some sweet pivot balls as I have them installed on all my 3s/4s rides. Much better than the OEM and red HR units, for sure. A tad pricey but they’ll last forever, imho.

View attachment 334866
Thanks for this. So you need 2 sets to complete one car and are they a better fit than the HR? No shimming or grinding required at the bulkheads? don't suppose there is a similar option for the 2 flangeless balls in the servo linkage given that gets pretty sloppy as well or have you not found that much of a contributor once you do the main steering pivot balls? Thanks.
are absolute garbage!

Regarding these RCAWD ones, did you see the review?

View attachment 334867
Yeah not a good sign for sure. Although when there is only one review you never know the circumstances behind it.

I just replaced the composite balls in my Granite 3s BLX with the Hot Racing aluminum balls, and wasn't overly impressed with the fit. They were slightly too wide and I had to file them down to get the bulkhead ones to insert. The rest, the plastic did stretch to accommodate them. The shock balls were also slightly too big and required some extreme force to insert.

I wish Arrma would just go ahead and switch these cheese grater composite balls to steel but that doesn't seem likely any time soon. The granite was driving like a drunken sailor again (3rd time replacing composite ends and balls) before the hot racing balls and new ends I just fitted.

Thanks
View attachment 334859
Be sure to let Arrma know! I can't be the only one suggesting improvements to them! :LOL:

Regarding these RCAWD ones, did you see the review?

Haha, they've removed the review.

But maybe they are right and the buyer used their pivot balls on his used and worn rod ends which wouldn't be a tight fit as the rod ends themselves wear out. You'd need a new set of them. At least this was the case with my Senton which used the horrendous Hot Racing aluminium balls :poop: .

You know what? I have ordered a set of these RCAWD pivot balls and will keep my Arrma fam posted!

Don't get me wrong, I am not proud of myself. Swore I would never buy from a company that's ripping another popular brand's name off. That's wack as hell...

I'm pretty sure the RCAWD ones are the same I put in my Granite and the review is right, they fit very loose, almost fall back out loose. They were put on it when it only had 1 run, so it's not like the links were worn out yet.
Too lazy to swap them back out though... yet. :)

Don't get me wrong, I am not proud of myself. Swore I would never buy from a company that's ripping another popular brand's name off. That's wack as hell...
I feel the same way, but I needed some aluminum shocks that no one else was selling. The shocks are scheduled to arrive in the mail today, so I'll see how they are.

One thing to note: I don't recall the Amazon listing saying anything about the shocks being shipped from China: the listing said two-day delivery. When I got the notification of shipping, it said that the shocks were shipped by Yun Express, a Chinese shipping company. The shipping time was nowhere near the two days that the listing promised.

Both playing off the name of a recognized quality RC parts provider, and not listing where the shocks were coming from, is bad business practice. I won't be buying from RCAWD again.

Haha, they've removed the review.

But maybe they are right and the buyer used their pivot balls on his used and worn rod ends which wouldn't be a tight fit as the rod ends themselves wear out. You'd need a new set of them. At least this was the case with my Senton which used the horrendous Hot Racing aluminium balls :poop: .

You know what? I have ordered a set of these RCAWD pivot balls and will keep my Arrma fam posted!

Yes what I was wondering too- If they are not installed in new links then slop will still be there to some degree. But from what Jeckler said might just be that these pivot balls have bad tolerances to begin with. Either way, let us know how it goes. I keep going back and forth about ordering some to try, but may as well wait on your experience if you already have them on the way.

I feel the same way, but I needed some aluminum shocks that no one else was selling. The shocks are scheduled to arrive in the mail today, so I'll see how they are.

One thing to note: I don't recall the Amazon listing saying anything about the shocks being shipped from China: the listing said two-day delivery. When I got the notification of shipping, it said that the shocks were shipped by Yun Express, a Chinese shipping company. The shipping time was nowhere near the two days that the listing promised.

Both playing off the name of a recognized quality RC parts provider, and not listing where the shocks were coming from, is bad business practice. I won't be buying from RCAWD again.
The RCAWD aluminum shocks for my Infraction 3s arrived yesterday, and I installed them this morning after filling them properly with shock fluid. The new shocks are machined beautifully, and they are a perfect fit for the Infarction 3s or Vendetta (same chassis). It will take some time (and warmer weather), to see if they leak anywhere during use, but they don't show any sign of leaking now.

The RCAWD shocks are so much smoother than the stock Infraction 3s plastic shocks. It looks like a win-win situation.

will keep my Arrma fam posted

The balls have arrived and guess what? They are absolutely in spec - the same dimensions as the Arrma composite balls. Buuuuuuuut, there is still too much play. Checked with the composite ones and it's the same.

Looks like the stock rod ends are crap, does anyone know of a good substitute?

The balls have arrived and guess what? They are absolutely in spec - the same dimensions as the Arrma composite balls. Buuuuuuuut, there is still too much play. Checked with the composite ones and it's the same.

Looks like the stock rod ends are crap, does anyone know of a good substitute?
I’ve read where folks use Traxxas rod ends.

I've tried the rod ends from my Slash as they are also M4. Unfortunately they use 5.8mm balls. I'd like to get 6.8mm rod ends so I can use my RCAWD pivot balls.
I have searched a bit today and will do more research in the next couple of days.

Last edited:
Do you have any ends with the Traxxas balls already installed? They are a good alternative.

I ordered too in the end. Way too much play for my liking when installing balls in brand new rod ends. The diameter is spot on but the balls are too narrow and oval shaped. Back to Amazon they go. Guess I’ll stick to HR balls and just keep filing off the shoulders.

A comparison pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpeg
    IMG_0096.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The Hot Racing are fine. Fit can be tight into the shock towers. I found the Team Associated someone suggested to be too big, too tight in the rod ends. They bound up my steering instantly.

I’m using the Ali express ones. Good fit, much less expensive.

FYI in my opinion, the play around the pivot balls doesn’t make a difference. Removing the slop from all the rod ends makes very little difference in performance. Except for the servo link. Replacing the servo link and/or its pivot balls when they get worn down makes a noticeable difference in straight line tracking.

Some are using Traxxas steel balls and ends with success on their 4x4 models.

Not me unfortunately. I've tried Traxxas 9683 (6.8 balls) and they have the same slop as the stock composite balls and the RCAWD steel ones.

It's the rod ends. I've bought Pro-Line 6102-01 M4 rod ends, but they use 5.8 balls :poop:

Not me unfortunately. I've tried Traxxas 9683 (6.8 balls) and they have the same slop as the stock composite balls and the RCAWD steel ones.

It's the rod ends. I've bought Pro-Line 6102-01 M4 rod ends, but they use 5.8 balls :poop:

Have to use the whole Traxxas end (ball and ends).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back