Talion Recommendations for front gearbox case

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig72

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Nero
  3. Talion
  4. Typhon 6s
Apparently at some point my front gearbox took a beating and I just now realized it. Any recommendations for a good replacement? You just use stock or is there something better? It's a V3 running stock ESC/motor for now, but looking to upgrade it to Max6/4985 can in the near future.
Thanks gang.

IMG_20201001_204456.jpg
IMG_20201001_204504.jpg

Apparently at some point my front gearbox took a beating and I just now realized it. Any recommendations for a good replacement? You just use stock or is there something better? It's a V3 running stock ESC/motor for now, but looking to upgrade it to Max6/4985 can in the near future.
Thanks gang.

View attachment 102717View attachment 102718
I've gone through hell with my Kraton v4 gearboxes.. it's always something with them!! Either screw wholes tear up or just full on snap blah blah blah you always have to be careful about every screw you put in there in order to not strip or break something.

It may just be me but I also find them very prone to snapping just under the sway bar after a not so drastic collision. Once I had a bit of melting because I ran a good speed run with totally stock electrics and had to ditch that one also.
To put it mildly I have had bad experience with that plastic pos..

I must have gone through about 6 gearboxes in the last year and a half.. that's 60 bucks being around 10 bucks a piece + delivery.

Anyways I did some research and found that the hr and a brand called vitavon or something like that make some really tough boxes but very expensive..but I reckon if you think about all the money payed out on replacement of the stock plastic you already have spent enough to buy 2 aluminum gearboxes.
That exact thing has happened to me on 3 occasions ?
₪ 301.36 | VITAVON CNC alu diff housing bulkhead for Arrma 6S Ar310854 Mojave/Senton/Typhon
https://a.aliexpress.com/_eOSAFs

₪ 202.05 | Hot Racing AON12E01 Aluminum Gearbox Case Bulkhead Arrma Kraton Outcast
https://a.aliexpress.com/_eLhdW6

₪ 283.90 35%OFF | GPM ALUMINUM FRONT/REAR GEAR BOX For 1/8 ARRMA OUTCAST 6S BLX STUNT TRUCK RC Upgrade
https://a.aliexpress.com/_eLBMy6

Attachments

• 20201002_221939.jpg
    20201002_221939.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. I'm going to give the HR one a try and see how it goes. I've busted the rear once before, so I can see where you're coming from about durability.

Just ordered two of the HR gearboxes. Did I read correctly that the differential needs to be shimmed inside of the gearbox when using the HR ones? If so, what shims do are you all using? Thanks fellas.

Just ordered two of the HR gearboxes. Did I read correctly that the differential needs to be shimmed inside of the gearbox when using the HR ones? If so, what shims do are you all using? Thanks fellas.
Shim as you would with the stock one. The HR one's are amazing. I was worried they'd be heavy, but was shocked at how light they are. Remember to use thread lock everywhere.
Shim as you would with the stock one. The HR one's are amazing. I was worried they'd be heavy, but was shocked at how light they are. Remember to use thread lock everywhere.

20201124_194526~2.jpg

Also, if you’re using that little plastic thing that Arrma calls a front bumper - might be worth adding an RPM or EXB bumper to keep the front diff case from taking hits.
rofl

I thought the same thing about the "bumper" after I took a little nose dive.

"Really Arrma? This is a front bumper to you?"

Go with an EXB Fr. bumper. It may spare that $expensive$ HR Bulkhead you want to run.
I prefer the stock plastic for the price point. Some say using just one HR in the rear is most beneficial diff wise.

Bumping up this old thread.

My rear AR310854 diff case of my EXB 1:8 is not usable anymore, the shock tower tore it apart.

In Europe, I can't find any stock of the original plastic ones.

Alu is an option, preferably Vitavon. UDR drivers love this stuff. But, will this improve the toughness of the car? Or will the structure alu chassis- alu diff case - alu shock towers be too rigid, causing other parts to break.

rofl

Thanks gang.

Same thing happened to me today and looking to upgrade the annoying buggers! The hr ones look nice! Which ones did u go for in the end?

IMG_20210326_145955.jpg

Same thing happened to me today and looking to upgrade the annoying buggers! The hr ones look nice! Which ones did u go for in the end?

To me exactly the same happened in the rear.
I am thinking of buying these from Vitavon:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002025039837.html

Just doubting if adding strength to this diff housing will cause other parts like the chassis to be damaged earlier.

There is a simple trick that will increase the strength of the stock diff. Just use longer screws and capture the back with nuts.
In some cases you have to drill out the hole further (2.4mm drill).

I have a hard time justifying the cost of the alu diffs, they are roughly 8:1 and I haven't broken 8 diffs in all of my bashing.
You will improve your driving skills as well and these type of damages will decline.

rofl

Thanks gang.

Same thing happened to me today and looking to upgrade the annoying buggers! The hd ones look nice! Which ones did u go for in the end
To me exactly the same happened in the rear.
I am thinking of buying these from Vitavon:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002025039837.html

Just doubting if adding strength to this diff housing will cause other parts like the chassis to be damaged earlier.

There is a simple trick that will increase the strength of the stock diff. Just use longer screws and capture the back with nuts.
In some cases you have to drill out the hole further (2.4mm drill).

I have a hard time justifying the cost of the alu diffs, they are roughly 8:1 and I haven't broken 8 diffs in all of my bashing.
You will improve your driving skills as well and these type of damages will decline.
Hope your rightmate, will give it a try, thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back