Road tire width options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Any big advantages/disadvantages to getting the wider Hoons or Method Velocitors? Ive only run 42/100 grps so wondering if wider would be good for street bashing.

I beg to differ.
I tried the 53/107s on my Typhon TLR compared to the 42/100's. Final drive gearing remaining very close with a pinion swap. 107's sucked by comparison IMHO. And maybe this is even why the Felony guys struggle with traction. With those 53/107's at the rear. They just don't match up well with 42/100's at the front of the Felony. Too tall. Arrma should have made them 53/100's instead, from the start.
So it will depend how you plan on driving with them. The 53/107s' just "Look Cool". For dedicated speed running, no one will be using the 53/107's IMHO. I know I didn't like them. Poor traction. And the added chassis height lift was a definite Disadvantage. I think you will get better directional stability for straight high speed passes with the 42/100's or GRP GT size wheels.
In the end, if you just want to bash around , the 53/107s are ok. Just Not for any performance or better driving characteristics. They do "look" great on the shelf.;)

Last edited:
I beg to differ.
I tried the 53/107s on my Typhon TLR compared to the 42/100's. Final drive gearing remaining very close with a pinion swap. 107's sucked by comparison IMHO. And maybe this is even why the Felony guys struggle with traction. With those 53/107's at the rear. They just don't match up well with 42/100's at the front of the Felony. Too tall. Arrma should have made them 53/100's instead, from the start.
So it will depend how you plan on driving with them. The 53/107s' just "Look Cool". For dediccated speed running, no one will be using the 53/107's IMHO. I know I didn't like them. Poor traction. And the added chassis height lift was a definite Disadvantage. I think you will get better directional stability for straight high speed passes with the 42/100's or GRP GT size wheels.
In the end, if you just want to bash around , the 53/107s are ok. Just Not for any performance or better driving characteristics. They do look great on the shelf.;)
If you want to send those crappy 107s to me, I can help dispose of them.

I beg to differ.
So it will depend how you plan on driving with them. The 53/107s' just "Look Cool". For dedicated speed running, no one will be using the 53/107's IMHO. I know I didn't like them. Poor traction. And the added chassis height lift was a definite Disadvantage. I think you will get better directional stability for straight high speed passes with the 42/100's or GRP GT size wheels.
In the end, if you just want to bash around , the 53/107s are ok. Just Not for any performance or better driving characteristics. They do "look" great on the shelf.;)
Thanks for reminding me - I tried those 53/107s a while back and they were terrible. Far less grip than the 42/100s. Both sets in “white” compound. I still don’t understand why.

Yeah, I feel White 107's just don't equate to White 100's at all. Im sure the Gold and Silvers as well. A different animal. Acts like a completely different tire, but for the size alone as well. And a poor match for each other on the Felony.
I was thinking of using the 53 /107s for my heavy Mojave for some speed passes, slamming it a bit as well. Maybe a heavier platform on them will induce better traction?? IDK. They would look kind of tiny on the Mojave. :LOL:

But could work better..maybe. :unsure: IDK.

Good to know. If there aren't specific handling improvements for general street bashing I'll stay with GRP's.

Going to a wider tread will always scrub off some tire speed. Not what you want. That is, for serious speed running.
Maybe Fatter looks cool, but that's about it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back