Kraton Rocket fan and MM2 esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxgasmekl

Reaction score
Hello

I would very much like to know if anyone knows a trick way to fit a 30x30x15mm rocket fan into the “heatsink” on a Castle Mamba Monster 2 esc? Ive heard that the heatsink-case-lid can be somehow extended? Or if there is a better solution for that matter. 40mm fan maybe? The standard fan broke on my second bash without even sending it hard. At all.
Thanks

70836450162__03F30149-2BE7-47AA-A5CA-C054BBE89C8F.jpeg

And the esc isnt mounted yet on the picture;)

This is off subject, but I see your ESC is flopping about. Use Shoe Goo and glue your ESC down, it will never pop off again. Remove the sticker from the bottom of your ESC first. To remove it, unbolt your ESC tray from the truck and use a small screwdriver to pry it off. I got this tip from this forum, it works great.

No, not really.

So how would someone install this particular adapter? Will they have to attempt to drill their own holes into the ESC heatsink?

Last edited:
So how would someone instead this particular adapter? Will they have to attempt to drill their own holes into the ESC heatsink?
I’m not sure. I was replying to @Dan B. about his Max6 when I posted that link. The adapter I linked is for a Max6, rather than the MM2 the original post is about.

I read the directions, it snaps on just like the stock one.

This is off subject, but I see your ESC is flopping about. Use Shoe Goo and glue your ESC down, it will never pop off again. Remove the sticker from the bottom of your ESC first. To remove it, unbolt your ESC tray from the truck and use a small screwdriver to pry it off. I got this tip from this forum, it works great.
Thanks - but as i wrote under the picture the esc wasnt mounted yet. It is now:)

I like that. Hopefully that thin plastic casing can handle the weight.

Here’s what I did. It’s not pretty but it was easy and is durable.

View attachment 308363
View attachment 308364
Nice. I figure replacement ESC fan covers are cheap enough, so if things do go sour, i could always purchase another one.
https://www.castlecreations.com/en/mamba-monster-x-cooling-fan-011-0110-00

How do you keep your mount stationary? Like what is it affixed to?

Let's all be honest about this and say the only reason we are having to come up with our own solutions is because castle felt the need to use their stupid proprietary 7mm fan size. Another few mm's and you could at least easily put a rocket 30x10mm fan in there, which would do the trick in most all cases.

Just remove that Plastic ESC shroud and a taller 30mm x 15mm fan should work fine. You don't even need that shroud. IMHO 30m fans were the wrong choice from the start for that MM2. Too small IMHO. Should have been at least a 35 x 35 mm fan at a minimum. Smaller 30mm fans don't seem to last long for bashing use. From my exper. Get an Alloy caged/framed 30mm fan. Best.
A 40m Fan adapter is also an option like stated above.

Just remove that Plastic ESC shroud and a taller 30mm x 15mm fan should work fine. You don't even need that shroud. IMHO 30m fans were the wrong choice from the start for that MM2. Too small IMHO. Should have been at least a 35 x 35 mm fan at a minimum. Smaller 30mm fans don't seem to last long for bashing use. From my exper. Get an Alloy caged/framed 30mm fan. Best.
A 40m Fan adapter is also an option like stated above.
No you can't attach a 30mm, 35mm or even a 40mm fan directly to the heatsink none of the screw holes line up.

Last edited:
Another aspect to consider is that there could be dimishing returns by increasing fan size anyway. Limitations of effective fan size would come down to the size of the ESC's heatsink. A fan's "dead zone" combined with problems associated with fluid redirection (blowing against a "wall") will create areas of air stagnation at the center axis of the fan and high velocity on the fan outside diameter. Larger fans will create larger areas of central stagnation, which may only reduce area over which air can blow across the heatsink and effectively remove heat.

While the 30mm fans don't move a ton of air, there are definitely lots of other areas to consider to optimize heat transfer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back