RTR, Are they really ready to Run?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmkkings

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Mojave
  5. Vendetta
What is a person supposed to do when they go out and spend 700 dollars on a RC? Get it home to take her for a spin and the ESC starts to malfunctions! So, we all have experienced by now the frustration, and poor manufacturing by Arrma. Especially when a person cant afford to upgrade the ESC because they spent all there Dough on the RC and maybe even the Batteries, and a Charger. It is even more frustrating when a person has a Computer, or Laptop with Windows seven or higher. I even tried down loading a Zip extraction from 7Zip and it still wont work! I guess for now I have a 700 paperwiehgt to stair at! I think it is a bunch of crap, and wpont be suprised if Arrma looses a few valuble custoners over this hole deal1 Along with the computer,software, and 2 program cards
wont update aneith

that wont update! Dam computer and Technology. There's not a lot out there on the web about this issue people are having. It doesn't matter what I try I get the same error message, "Update Software". The Spectrum Smart link has been uninstalled and reinstalled probably 50 times. It is a pian in the you know what, and the same result! If anybody hears of a fix from Horizon website, or Spectrum let me know. Thank you and much appreciated! RC on follow hobbyist.

Last edited:
It happened to me with my Felony. On my 1st run. I took it to my LHS, a 1 hr drive. Horizon told the guy to replace the ESC. But noted that it's a 1 time deal. So if it craps out again I'm on my own. Glad they made good on it. Bummed that for the next 23 months I am not covered. 🤷‍♂️ . That does not seem fair to me.

Just went through the update process for my Firma120 a couple days ago. Updated the Firma software, programming box, and esc. It's a zip file with a RAR file contained. Meaning it's a zip inside of a zip. There are a few online services that will decompress and extract the RAR for free. RAR is a faily uncommon file type. Frustrating......yup. Clear instructions available......nope.

If you need it V1.1.0: https://www.horizonhobby.com/on/dem...ktrum-Firma-SmartLink-Update-Instructions.pdf

Here is a RAR extractor service. There are many out there. https://extract.me/

- Unzip the file. Then use the online service to decompress the rar file. Clear as mud. Good luck!

Last edited:
https://www.spektrumrc.com/on/deman...ktrum-Avian-SmartLink-Update-Instructions.pdf

Check the download from this link. When trying to update my 6S rigs from stock, the link I originally found was for v1.0.9. The link I’ve posted has the newest v1.1.0 available for download.

Extract the zip to your desktop and run the application from there. Just breathe and remember you have a warranty as well.

After you’ve tried everything on your end, get in contact with whomever you bought it from, Arrma or Horizon.

What is a person supposed to do when they go out and spend 700 dollars on a RC? Get it home to take her for a spin and the ESC starts to malfunctions! So, we all have experienced by now the frustration, and poor manufacturing by Arrma. Especially when a person cant afford to upgrade the ESC because they spent all there Dough on the RC and maybe even the Batteries, and a Charger. It is even more frustrating when a person has a Computer, or Laptop with Windows seven or higher. I even tried down loading a Zip extraction from 7Zip and it still wont work! I guess for now I have a 700 paperwiehgt to stair at! I think it is a bunch of crap, and wpont be suprised if Arrma looses a few valuble custoners over this hole deal1 Along with the computer,software, and 2 program cards
wont update aneith

that wont update! Dam computer and Technology. There's not a lot out there on the web about this issue people are having. It doesn't matter what I try I get the same error message, "Update Software". The Spectrum Smart link has been uninstalled and reinstalled probably 50 times. It is a pian in the you know what, and the same result! If anybody hears of a fix from Horizon website, or Spectrum let me know. Thank you and much appreciated! RC on follow hobbyist.

We ALL can understand your annoyance!

Especially when it's a Brand New rig and all you wanted was to Enjoy your investment.
Not to have to immediately play mechanic or an electrician right from the get-go.. To try and figure out how to diagnose and repair a small integrated circuit...

It's frustrating and a Big hassle.

But, know that You are not Alone.
We're here to help you.

Just take a deep breath and relax.

@GraniteFox and @trexdd
Have listed some helpful links, give them a try and let us know.
We'll go from there.

Remember, You are not alone.
We're get you thru this. 🍺👍

Wow, what he said x2 . could not be on more spot on. It sucks hard when a $700. machine does not work.. Take it to a hobby shop, I would get in touch with Horizon. Good luck. Mike.

Last edited:
I never take them as ready to run.
Every “rtr” rc I’ve purchased I’ve always had to work on (but then they have all had junk esc’s ( Traxxas and Rlaarlo) even the $2000 XRT Ultimate needed a 3rd party ESC to be reliable

.rar, .7z, .zip files are simple.
DL free edition zip genius, winzip or 7z.
Install and next time you get a compressed file, right click it and choose. Extract here, or to the name of the file.
Your welcome and I hope this will help.

Just went through the update process for my Firma120 a couple days ago. Updated the Firma software, programming box, and esc. It's a zip file with a RAR file contained. Meaning it's a zip inside of a zip. There are a few online services that will decompress and extract the RAR for free. RAR is a faily uncommon file type. Frustrating......yup. Clear instructions available......nope.

If you need it V1.1.0: https://www.horizonhobby.com/on/dem...ktrum-Firma-SmartLink-Update-Instructions.pdf

Here is a RAR extractor service. There are many out there. https://extract.me/

- Unzip the file. Then use the online service to decompress the rar file. Clear as mud. Good luck!
Thank you so much for the help! It worked thankyou very much!

Back