How powerful are racing ESCs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
I’ve been wondering how racing ESCs compare to bashing ESCs.

For example, Hobbywing makes the XR8 G2 Pro 4S racing ESC. It is small like most 4S ESCs but is rated for 200a continuous, which is huge.

Do you think that ESC could handle bigger motors like a 4092 or 1520 on 4S? Assuming gearing is reasonable.

Typically they’re not waterproof and capable for heavy impact bashing, also the ratings are inflated for more continuous burst(seconds think timing/boost/turbo graphs) and not typical basher draw which is any decent throttle pull. Race buggies are lighter and not loaded 7075 thick alloy with monster composite reinforcement.

Much more dynamic adjustment parameters and require adequate transmitters to fully utilize.

Might be a better question with more user input on the hobbywing or more course racing FB group/forum.

Last edited:
I was always under the impression they were nearly the same but likely a bit more tuning available in the software.
I would expect the response times are slightly better, but otherwise almost the same.

I had an older style xr8 plus, which is rated at 150a. When that took a 💩, I put in a max8 g2, which is rated at 160a. The xr8 plus felt like it had alot more umph. I suspect that what @Garcbomber said about inflated manufacturer rating is true. Either that, or maybe racing esc are more powerful than bashing esc's? Lol

Also, I think the 4092 will be fine. Assuming you're putting it in a buggy. Something heavier will obviously put more strain on your system.

Back