Servo savers: how necessary are they?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Just curious if others here skip the servo saver. I went through about 50 packs on my Bandit with no saver, just a horn. Then again, the rig itself was barely 6 pounds with the battery and I had 30kg servo on it. Survived plenty of tumbles, never an issue. The other thing I noticed is the steering seemed just a touch more responsive. Not to mention the cheap servo savers break easy and strong servos are cheap. I replaced enough servo savers on my Stampede to buy 2 or 3 new cheap servos, lol.
I haven't tried this with heavier rigs but curious if anyone else has done it.

3 E-clips under my v5 savers for those poor landings on 12+ lb rigs that will certainly shred any servo gears. I just built a tyjave with TLR rack, was surprised to feel it’s about the same level of preload before it articulates. Without a torque measurement I can only speculate.

I tried running my kid's 3s cars with no servo savers, the servos didn't make it 3 packs... granted, my kid's drive their cars like they're stolen, but I still wouldn't recommend running without a servo saver on anything other than a dedicated pavement rig, just my .02

I tried running my kid's 3s cars with no servo savers, the servos didn't make it 3 packs... granted, my kid's drive their cars like they're stolen, but I still wouldn't recommend running without a servo saver on anything other than a dedicated pavement rig, just my .02
Was that with stock servos?

savers , save much more than just servo . if you have a good HD servo , then youll start bending / breaking links , carriers ,etc . im not a fan of em personally , but they are pretty necessary.

savers , save much more than just servo . if you have a good HD servo , then youll start bending / breaking links , carriers ,etc . im not a fan of em personally , but they are pretty necessary.
Agreed, I’d most certainly delete a servo if you had a ball end steering/suspension link failure mode that could pop off in an emergency like most track setups do.

Gotta run a servo saver. In my top "must haves".

I mean, when you hit an immovable object what's gonna happen 😆.

Years ago we ran without them because they just weren't available. Plus, the RCs were a lot lighter and slower. Lol. First used one on the Savage SS.

Todays RCs are much heavier and way faster. A servo saver is cheap compared to the servo. Not saying you can't wreck either one in a violent crash but, call it insurance. Kind of a no brainer. Worth every penny.

Maybe i had a bad run, but the $3 stock savers i used rarely lasted more than 3 or 4 battery packs, the HD Kimbrough savers are $9 and last longer but still snap too easy.
Running no saver on my Bandit, wrecks that caused a break usually was a rod end getting pulled off the threads, servo survived a lot of tumbles.
Still leary of no saver on rigs any bigger/heavier. Got an aluminum Hot Racing saver on my Stampede a few weeks back and its lasted longer than anything so far, hopefully its a good long term solution.

Might have spoke too soon haha, fried a servo yesterday in the truck that has no saver. Not sure if its related or not, seemed like electrical failure of some sort, but ill open it up to see.

Might have spoke too soon haha, fried a servo yesterday in the truck that has no saver. Not sure if its related or not, seemed like electrical failure of some sort, but ill open it up to see.

Are you going to chalk it up as an anomaly 🤔 ?

5BC2516C-2881-4A1D-90B5-C59484F4F800.gif

It was a low pro servo, might not’ve been adequate for my super rough track.

Ok here is my 1st "stupid" question.

What is a servo saver? and where does it go? I bought 1 and it was a pretty solid spring, and I can't see how this big strong spring can be used on a tiny spline gear on the top of the servo?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back