Salt Water vs RC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroK

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
Once in while, I enjoy bashing on the beach. Do my best to stay clear of the water...maybe a few unavoidable puddles. Even with a proper wash down, drying out with the air compressor and applying lubricant, its only a matter of time before the signs of rust start to appear. Wheel bearings are the first to seize followed by the motor.

Any additional steps for salt water protection?

Once in while, I enjoy bashing on the beach. Do my best to stay clear of the water...maybe a few unavoidable puddles. Even with a proper wash down, drying out with the air compressor and applying lubricant, its only a matter of time before the signs of rust start to appear. Wheel bearings are the first to seize followed by the motor.

Any additional steps for salt water protection?
There is a product called Fluid Film you could spray on before heading out there. Many use it for the undercarriage of their 1:1 vehicles. Then after a run, you can wash it off along with the salt water, thoroughly dry, then spray it on again to store away for next time. There's another, similar product that's a bit tougher to wash off, called Surface Shield by PB Blaster. As for bearings, packing new ones with Super Lube brand synthetic grease might help. It's as good as marine grease, but unlike calcium thickened marine greases, Super Lube is compatible with the lithium greases found in most RC bearings.

There is a product called Fluid Film you could spray on before heading out there. Many use it for the undercarriage of their 1:1 vehicles. Then after a run, you can wash it off along with the salt water, thoroughly dry, then spray it on again to store away for next time. There's another, similar product that's a bit tougher to wash off, called Surface Shield by PB Blaster. As for bearings, packing new ones with Super Lube brand synthetic grease might help. It's as good as marine grease, but unlike calcium thickened marine greases, Super Lube is compatible with the lithium greases found in most RC bearings.
Thanks @Shadows . Will look into that for future bashing.

One more I would highly consider. WD40 Gel Lube spray. Like Fluid film, it says it's safe for plastics and rubber etc. You may not like the look and smell of the lanolin in Fluid Film and Surface Shield. Unlike PB Blaster's Surface Shield, Fluid Film can be used as a lubricant. But that WD40 Gel Lube looks promising.

Personally, i just give the truck a real good rinse and rub right afterwards, stick in a warm room to dry, and call it a day. IMO with all the funds and time spent on any product to keep things lasting longer, I'd rather just plan on replacing bearings slightly more frequently than normal since most of these bearings are disposable anyway. If you're cleaning it off right afterwards, I can't imagine an hour of salt water exposure being a problem. That's just me though.

Personally, i just give the truck a real good rinse and rub right afterwards, stick in a warm room to dry, and call it a day. IMO with all the funds and time spent on any product to keep things lasting longer, I'd rather just plan on replacing bearings slightly more frequently than normal since most of these bearings are disposable anyway. If you're cleaning it off right afterwards, I can't imagine an hour of salt water exposure being a problem. That's just me though.
Well, there's always Wal-Mart lubricating oil in the quart for cheap. Get a needle applicator bottle and and spread in on everything steel with a little artists paintbrush. That's what I do. 3 in 1 oil has solvent in it, so I wouldn't use that. Would degrease the bearings.

Back