Auto Knives VS Safety

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, done with Benchmade since they publicly offered to cut up guns and shared photos of such. Too bad though as they do make a great knife and I have one.... Used to carry it all day and it never failed.
IMG_6328.JPG

IMG_6327.JPG

On the other hand, there are great, made in the USA options too, like the Bear Ops.

IMG_6330.JPG

IMG_6329.JPG

If you want to spend HUGE money for a USA made OTF, there's Microtech. Other than a total custom, this is the one.... Elmax steel. I just hate the handle.... If you want to "open a can of beans" so to say, your hand will slide right down to the blade. Totally useless, lol. But fun to bring out for the bro in laws at a BBQ, just bring the neosporin, gauze and electrical tape.

IMG_6331.JPG
IMG_6332.JPG
IMG_6333.JPG

Last edited:
Now, for something completely different, I present to you a custom sword I had made by dude in Pakistan. You may laugh thinking it's made of car bumpers, but I assure you, it is not. I whacked this thing into maple tree stumps, cut full beer cans, gallon jugs of water and I can't see single edge deflection or chip. The handle is Indian Stag and pommel is brass. The leather sheath is made of goat skin dyed two different colors, very thick. The sling is made Pakistani style to carry behind your back. This thing is a BEAST.

IMG_6337.JPG
IMG_6338.JPG
IMG_6339.JPG
IMG_6340.JPG
IMG_6341.JPG

Oh, the irony... Both of my Benchmade knives I've bought within the past two years, from a gun shop!!
Back in 2000 I found out about Levi's being super anti-gun, and I wrote them an e-mail explaining that without firearms, Levi's wouldn't have even existed. I never got a reply. Sucks, I loved my 501's, but heck with 'em. Been buying Wranglers ever since and never looked back. ;)

Having said as much, not giving my Benchmark away, lol. It really is a magnificent knife. The heat treat on their S30V is a little brittle and prone to chipping, but damn, it's a razor and holds it's edge. I actually think that the Boker D2 steel is a better bet for EDC. It too can chip, but I don't have to baby it.

There's so much more than the steel itself... The heat treat is almost everything.

Last edited:
Today is Sprint Run Z-Wear Powder Metal Shaman. Couple of pass over the sharpener and a quick wash is all that is needed. I haven't carried this one this year so I will give it some pocket time.
1713048132841.png

I love my Ken Onion Edition Work Sharp! I can and was taught on a stone in the mid 70's when I was kid on Rapalas. That was the deal back then, if you catch a fish you clean and fillet it and even @ 10 years old I appreciated a sharp knife..... A sharp knife is safer because there's way less effort involved.

But with the advent of D2, S60V, Elmax and other super steels I invested in this and dam brothers, 5 swipes on either side and I got a razor, lol. There is a learning curve and you can wreck a knife in 4 swipes too.

I also sharpen about everything @ 17.5 degrees minus my swords and super hard use camp knives. Pardon the mess, got about 15 projects going on at once. Oh, I go 15 degrees on my Rapala fillet and chef stuff.

IMG_6346.JPG
IMG_6347.JPG

Was just cleaning/sharpening knifes today. Tops my everyday day carry. View attachment 360796

Loving that D2 top knife! Freaking stellar!

I like full serrated knives so I sharpen with a Spyder sharp maker. Stays in the kitchen, then if I have down time while cooking I start sharpening things.

Back