Auto Knives VS Safety

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rottster

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton EXB
Well, thanks to Extreme Sports dudes here in Colorado, you can carry spring loaded knife since 2018. Reason being that if you get caught up in ropes parachuting, climbing, etc., you have a one hand solution to save your life. I'm totally on board with that! The limitation is that concealed (in your pocket) is limited to 3.5" and again I have no issue with that. Having said as much, here is my very well used OTF (Out The Front) Boker in D2 steel I use everyday in the factory. Way, way safer than the razor knives the factory gives us and I'll explain later.

Aha, first I wanted to see If I could post... Anyway, first question "What the heck? Aren't you worried about it stabbing you in the huevos?" Nope, because if you understood how a true auto knife works, it's safer than a Buck folder.... Which of one sort or another I've carried for 48+ years.

IMG_6287.JPG
IMG_6288.JPG
IMG_6289.JPG
IMG_6290.JPG

Last edited:
There are 2 springs internally and both are at rest when the blade is locked inside. When I push forward on the toggle I tension one which releases the lock and blade moves forward. When I pull reward it releases the lock and tensions the rear spring which pulls it inside the handle. At rest there is zero tension other than the little lock spring. Twice over 9 years I've been cut by the cheap ass razor knives the company provides, opening in my pocket when the back spring gets weak.

There are 2 springs internally and both are at rest when the blade is locked inside. When I push forward on the toggle I tension one which releases the lock and blade moves forward. When I pull reward it releases the lock and tensions the rear spring which pulls it inside the handle. At rest there is zero tension other than the little lock spring. Twice over 9 years I've been cut by the cheap ass razor knives the company provides, opening in my pocket when the back spring gets weak.
I got my sister an auto knife, she’s scared of guns too. 😂😂😂😂😂

I got my sister an auto knife, she’s scared of guns too. 😂😂😂😂😂

Women who are afraid of guns.. carry little 5oz pepper perfume sprayers in their purse.

Women who are afraid of guns.. carry little 5oz pepper perfume sprayers in their purse.

It smells nice, I prefer a bit behind my ears. maybe a little shot on the tamales if my Mexican wife got crap chilis for our chicken tacos and I had to go to the local tamale kitchen.

It smells nice, I prefer a bit behind my ears. maybe a little shot on the tamales if my Mexican wife got crap chilis for our chicken tacos and I had to go to the local tamale kitchen.
If she reads this, I'm dead. Next meal I'll be pooping fire.

Last edited:
Here 2" and under is legal, my wife loves her Boker USB. She likes how easy it is to deploy and not break a nail. If you live in Colorado you better buy a Golden Colorado made Spyderco, buy local!

1711722147607.png

Here 2" and under is legal, my wife loves her Boker USB. She likes how easy it is to deploy and not break a nail. If you live in Colorado you better buy a Golden Colorado made Spyderco, buy local!

View attachment 357572

Boker's really are the bomb, very nice stuff for a reasonable price. I do dig Spyderco stuff and if you know their history, it's truly a success story.... Dude started out in a clapped out Toyota or some such car selling cutlery out of his trunk. However, none of the designs really struck a chord with me, not that they're bad, just not for me ergonomically.

Being a Boker fan (as am I), here's a Boker + I aquired a few years back I wear, as one friend called, "Pirate Style". 11 O'Clock horizontal for a cross draw.... Perfect for under the leather on the bike.
IMG_6294.JPG
IMG_6295.JPG

I've had a couple otf's, but I prefer a folder, mainly out of habit. I mainly carry Medford knives, right now it's between my M-48 and my 187-F.

Well Sir, very nice choices! However, I managed to grab this Buck when it was first introduced for very, very reasonable price. SO the story goes that Buck was pissed about all the garbage/substandard Buck 110 auto conversions so they made their own. Grabbed this one for around 100 bucks when they were first released. Technically, it's illegal to slip in my pocket as the blade is over 3.5", but worn in a case outside, it's legal. Man, it's wonderful with a satisfying "Thonk" when it opens and it's 100% Buck quality. Old school cool with new school auto operation.

IMG_6296.JPG
IMG_6297.JPG

Last edited:
@Rottster I find the 3.5"+ Spyderco knives to be absolute pleasure to use. My favorite is the stretch which is visually nothing special but by far my favorite knife.

For fixed blades I tend to stick to semi customs. I try to support the smaller guys, especially one man shows. Might post some photos when I get to my computer.

I absolutely enjoyed boker as a brand, been wanting to pick up a few more full size automatics but living in California I already have enough knives that can't leave the house.

@Rottster I find the 3.5"+ Spyderco knives to be absolute pleasure to use. My favorite is the stretch which is visually nothing special but by far my favorite knife.

For fixed blades I tend to stick to semi customs. I try to support the smaller guys, especially one man shows. Might post some photos when I get to my computer.

I absolutely enjoyed boker as a brand, been wanting to pick up a few more full size automatics but living in California I already have enough knives that can't leave the house.

Yeah Brother! That custom I posted above was from a guy in Wisconsin, one man show at the time. Big freakin' money.

Now here's my hard use camp fixed blade. Made in the USA by the Ontario Knife Company, same guys who made the WWII KaBar. It's insanely thick and can split wood,, pound in tent pegs yet still fillet a big trout. Not really a small one, I made a mess of it and it went to the Batman, lol. My Bud who owns a ranch did the laser Buck engraving on the one side. The handle is also custom G10, the original although functional, was blocky. 1095 steel IIRC, same as the original Kabar but much thicker.

IMG_6306.JPG
IMG_6307.JPG

IMG_6305.JPG

Last edited:
I'm starting up a small knife collection, but I live in WA state so I have to be careful with spring assisted knives 😞😞
From left to right: Benchmade 570-1, Kershaw Blur, Gerber Strongarm, Leatherman Super Tool 300, and Benchmade 535-12
1000078583.jpg

I will never buy a non USA made knife again🇺🇲

I'm starting up a small knife collection, but I live in WA state so I have to be careful with spring assisted knives 😞😞
From left to right: Benchmade 570-1, Kershaw Blur, Gerber Strongarm, Leatherman Super Tool 300, and Benchmade 535-12
1000078583.jpg

Currently edc the BM 535-12

I don't discriminately against countries of origin as a lot of good craft knives are coming from Eastern Block and South America. I do ask that you don't support benchmade as they have donated to anti gun groups in the past. I stopped supporting benchmade 5-6 years ago after they crossed the line of making a product to being politically active.

My most recent fixed blade, made by Gollik Knives. 1/4" thick sleipner steel survival knife with bit of fight knife forward sweep to the blade. I wanted a forward swept knife to try and this one spoke to me.

1712441388312.png

Mostly Spyderco, some loinsteel, some reate and a few benchmades. I only keep what I like, this is me after down sizing off 20-30 knives over the last few years. Use to have entire line ups and multiples, now I am working on wearing them out.

1712441124897.png

I don't discriminately against countries of origin as a lot of good craft knives are coming from Eastern Block and South America. I do ask that you don't support benchmade as they have donated to anti gun groups in the past. I stopped supporting benchmade 5-6 years ago after they crossed the line of making a product to being politically active.

My most recent fixed blade, made by Gollik Knives. 1/4" thick sleipner steel survival knife with bit of fight knife forward sweep to the blade. I wanted a forward swept knife to try and this one spoke to me.
Interesting. Did not know that about Benchmade, but they are just so damn smooth🤤🤤, and I like the locking mechanism. I should rephrase, I will skip buying knives that are made in China or other places with questionable labor force.

Looking into Spyderco next, but the thumb hole flipper throws me for a loop everytime I see it😄

Interesting. Did not know that about Benchmade, but they are just so damn smooth🤤🤤, and I like the locking mechanism. I should rephrase, I will skip buying knives that are made in China or other places with questionable labor force.

Looking into Spyderco next, but the thumb hole flipper throws me for a loop everytime I see it😄

I got nothing against benchmades products, I still have a few hiding in the closet. Really the best Spyderco knives are the frn handle lock backs. Just ignore the fancy lock, fancy steels and fancy materials the basic Spyderco is a hardcore tool. I got sold on them cutting salt bags, that big hole allows you to keep you mittens on and open a knife.

Back