Scam websites

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
I wanted to start a thread about scam site detection, and maintain a compilation of known scam sites. I know sites like this won't typically be long lived or be around for a too long, but I believe that 1) knowing that scam sites exist, 2) knowing that the URLs and site user interfaces can be very similar to ones we know and use frequently, AND 3) that seeing new scam sites popping up all the time will help the community in general to be better at spotting scams like these and being aware. As well, I hope for this to be an additional repository to check against for people wanting to know if a site is a scam.

Please post any scam sites you find and any details! Or if you aren't sure, ask and we can validate.

Example I came across today:
https://www.jennysrc.shop/
Which is trying to appear like an extension of the legit site jennysrc.com.

Several ways to spot a scam site include:

A) Google searching the website URL to see what details Google knows about the site.

image.png

Google only started indexing (or seeing) this website 3 months ago. That's not much time for a legit site to be up and running.

Using quotes, searching the website address shows substantially more results for the legit jennysrc site compared to the fake. And the fake site URL isn't reference anywhere else on the web but on it's own site. The legit site is referenced in many other sites (such as on the forum!).

1706724935762_image.png

1706724938486_image.png

B) Look for obvious typos and errors on the website.

This site has a few errors that you can easily spot that let's you know it's a fake. Errors include grammar mistakes or typos, and duplicated or nonsense text.

1706723422643_image.png

C) Look for inconsistencies.

The "About Us" section on this page talks about fashion, but that's not really normally associated with RCs.

1706723482652_image.png

The bottom of the page says "Basel & Co". But what does that fashion company have to do with "jennysrcshop" or an RC hobby?
1706725450001_image.png

D) Validate specific information available on the site.

For example, the physical address listed on the bottom of the site doesn't bring up a valid physical location if you search it in google maps. Additionally, this address comes up on other sites (like reddit) saying it's been associated with fake sites before.
1706723529548_image.png

1706723544197_image.png

You can also validate by searching listed phone numbers, social media pages, or email addresses that are published on the suspect page.

Bottom line:
Fake sites like these are getting better! Maintain awareness and don't get tricked by these scammers so you can enjoy the hobby!

And always remember, just because website says something, doesn't mean it's true...
1706723546709_image.png

T-Bone Racing is a scam site as well.

Yes!!!

https://www.t-boneracing.com/

I found out the hard way having been out of the hobby for half a decade. BUT, I did use PayPal and opened a case and got my money back quickly.

I did come across another site the other day, I need to remember which it was. Same scam

Back