Talion Shock standoffs? chassis slapping? + battery padding top tip!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleFPV

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion EXB
So, one of the shock standoffs gave up on my talion 6s exb v5. They are probably the weakest standoffs that arrma has made tbh. Now, do i replace them with the best of the best m2c standoffs, the scorched rc titanium standoffs or the non exb standoffs?

I was thinking of going with the non exb standoffs since they look pretty strong, and replacing a screw every now and then is pretty easy. I'd imagine it's down to the metal of the screw, so i would get some good grade 12.9 screws.

My second question, is there a way to prevent the chassis slapping when landing? I've printed a tpu skidplate but it definitely won't last. Should i bother changing the shock oil to a thicker one or will my electronics be okay?

As a thank you in advance for your help, i wanted to tell you that cheap soft mousepads are probably the best material if you would like to add padding to the bottom of the battery tray in order to somewhat protect the most volatile part of rc cars. I found an rgb one for £2 at currys (the rgb ones usually are thicker).

After cutting a piece to size and tearing off the fabric, you are left with a stretchy rubbery material that is very grippy and pretty squishy/soft. Done a couple of test samples and CA glue will bond both sides very well.

Thanks in advance!

20240107_202143.jpg

IMG-20240107-WA0035.jpeg

So, one of the shock standoffs gave up on my talion 6s exb v5. They are probably the weakest standoffs that arrma has made tbh. Now, do i replace them with the best of the best m2c standoffs, the scorched rc titanium standoffs or the non exb standoffs?

I was thinking of going with the non exb standoffs since they look pretty strong, and replacing a screw every now and then is pretty easy. I'd imagine it's down to the metal of the screw, so i would get some good grade 12.9 screws.

My second question, is there a way to prevent the chassis slapping when landing? I've printed a tpu skidplate but it definitely won't last. Should i bother changing the shock oil to a thicker one or will my electronics be okay?

As a thank you in advance for your help, i wanted to tell you that cheap soft mousepads are probably the best material if you would like to add padding to the bottom of the battery tray in order to somewhat protect the most volatile part of rc cars. I found an rgb one for £2 at currys (the rgb ones usually are thicker).

After cutting a piece to size and tearing off the fabric, you are left with a stretchy rubbery material that is very grippy and pretty squishy/soft. Done a couple of test samples and CA glue will bond both sides very well.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 341411

View attachment 341413
I took and drilled & tapped the stock Arrma ones out to M4. I used a M4x30mm long button head. They are a little hard & had to go slow with the drill bit & use wax. I just used a hand drill & a locking wrench to hold them. Worked out & no issues since. On my Kraton.

20240107_175121.jpg

20240107_175007.jpg

20240107_174851.jpg

I used a #30 (0.1285") drill bit, need two- one gets dull on third standoff, & a M4 regular tap using wax throughout. Then the 30mm long screw goes all the way thru like stock would & a nut on end. I had the M4 locknuts leftover from the HR standoff kit, they snapped off & broke.

Last edited:
I took and drilled & tapped the stock Arrma ones out to M4. I used a M4x30mm long button head. They are a little hard & had to go slow with the drill bit & use wax. I just used a hand drill & a locking wrench to hold them. Worked out & no issues since. On my Kraton.

View attachment 341436

View attachment 341437

View attachment 341438
I used a #30 (0.1285") drill bit, need two- one gets dull on third standoff, & a M4 regular tap using wax throughout. Then the 30mm long screw goes all the way thru like stock would & a nut on end. I had the M4 locknuts leftover from the HR standoff kit, they snapped off & broke.
And you gotta drill the shock tower out to 4mm.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 341411

View attachment 341413
You can play with spring rates or damping fluids to get the sweet spot, but some chassis slap on landings is actually the best case scenario. You might seek to mitigate it a bit, but not eliminate it. Zero chassis slap translates to a transfer of forces to the the shock towers, bulkheads, and standoffs.

B

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 341411

View attachment 341413
I've been very happy with my M2Cshock standoffs first thing I replaced—just my opinion. Yeah, chassis slap is needed and good.

Lets keep this simple:

Chassis slapping? Tune your shock pistons first (smaller or less holes) before touching the shock oil (you're already at 2000cst/150wt~160wt shock oil stock). Arrma includes additional shock pistons if you check that little bag of extra parts they give you. Like @Dan B. mentioned before, some chassis slap is fine, but like I said, the stock shock oil, pistons and geometry of the shocks was designed for staying mostly on the ground.

If you're chassis slapping at 2000cst with 1.2/1.3 pistons front and rear, I have to question what jumps are you taking with this thing to chassis slap? Talions are ground skaters by design.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back