Kraton Short run time! Kraton 8S EXB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aloring3

Premium Member!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Merry Christmas!
Today I was able to open the new Kraton 8S EXB, my wife made me wait. I also got two 4S CHLN 9500 Mah and 90C batteries. I put the punch down to 3 and the LVC down to 3 but it still was shutting itself off after about 10 minutes. Since this was my first 8S and I was getting use to the big rig I didn’t run full throttle the entire time, to be honest not much at all. Any suggestions on getting it to run longer.

Guy at the hobby shop seemed to believe I would get 30-45 minute run time.

For those of you that read my previous post about waiting for the 6S EXB or getting the 8S EXB, I think I am gonna be happy with the 8S. It is a monster and a ton of fun! Just not long enough.

Thanks
Rick

Merry Christmas!
Today I was able to open the new Kraton 8S EXB, my wife made me wait. I also got two 4S CHLN 9500 Mah and 90C batteries. I put the punch down to 3 and the LVC down to 3 but it still was shutting itself off after about 10 minutes. Since this was my first 8S and I was getting use to the big rig I didn’t run full throttle the entire time, to be honest not much at all. Any suggestions on getting it to run longer.

For those of you that read my previous post about waiting for the 6S EXB or getting the 8S EXB, I think I am gonna be happy with the 8S. It is a monster and a ton of fun! Just not long enough.

Thanks
Rick

It sounds normal based on some factors. If you are juicing the throttle, short or tall grass, etc...other factors not listed. I see the same in those conditions and see longer when I vary certain conditions,

Merry Christmas!

Thanks
Rick
Need to know if it's a voltage issue or a heat issue and im assuming your lipos are new some they need to be broken in as well

There's no way you're gonna get 30-45 minutes unless you're pulling a trailer of batteries. 10-15 min is about what I get on 8200mah packs, but that's running harder than what you described. Were you able to measure the actual cell voltage?

10-15 min is about average. If you want more run time, buy more batteries. 🤙

I have a Kraton 8s exb rtr, I suggest you check battery cell levels with your charger after a run is over.
A ESC can cut power early with default setting, between 3,8 to 3,9. I had to lower the LVC on my stock spektrum 8S ESC.
Kraton 8s is a heavy RC there is no 30 minutes long runtime even with my 4s 11000 mah gen ace batteries.
My XRT have longer runtimes with less MAH batteriers but its lighter.

Do you have a way to measure the cell voltage right after your run?
I do have the cell checker at they are both around 14.
It sounds normal based on some factors. If you are juicing the throttle, short or tall grass, etc...other factors not listed. I see the same in those conditions and see longer when I vary certain conditions,
We were just running on cement since we had to stay home with family.

I get more than 10m with 8200 mah smc lipos and upgraded electronics so you should definitely be doing better imo.

So I think the battery issue was that I did not charge them all the way. I did not wait for the charger to tell me the charge was complete. So I will have a better update tomorrow morning when head to the park.

Picked up the 6S EXB this afternoon too and boy was it fast compared to the 8S EXB! Ran three times as long too.

They are both great and glad I got both. My son and will enjoy both. He will be using the 8S for awhile until he can handle the speed on the 6S.

I get about 20 minutes runtime with the same batteries and KV motor but I use Castle electronics. That brings them down to storage voltage. 3.8 volts per cell.

Picked up the 6S EXB this afternoon too and boy was it fast compared to the 8S EXB! Ran three times as long too
Yep! I think I said similar when you were debating on which to get. Both awesome, no doubt!
I would expect longer runtimes from those 9500's too, especially considering you were running on blacktop which is a low resistance surface.. I have always noticed new lipos need a few cycles before max runtimes are achieved..combined with less than complete charge, no surprise. Let the charger finish, get a few cycles on them and see what you get.
My guess, hard running maybe 15-20 minutes, light bashing, 30..

FWIW, I tried some Zeee 7200 120c in my K8S. Straight poop..fell flat on their arses. Sent them back. Bought a set of CNHL G+ 6000's..now, how to fit these things..🤔😕 I do it to myself, LOL. 🤣
My issue is, the K8S is already such a pig, I don't want 4lb worth of batteries in it.. so finding something that can keep up without all the weight of a 10a set of batteries is a challenge. Add to that all the bogus C ratings every manufacturer claims..🤪🤷‍♂️

Merry Christmas!

Thanks
Rick
LHS hasn't a clue.(n) 30 -45 min run time???:ROFLMAO: What 4s packs you running? How long are you getting right now?
Don't expect more than 10 -15 min. Give or take. Normal with some packs. Even with some larger capacity packs. Is what it is. What volts were all your cells when they hit LVC??? Hopefully not lower than 3.5v. Watch your LVC settings well enough. This also affects run times obviously. Keeping punch at the lower end usually gets a hair more run time. But we all drive differently.
K8 is like 30+ pounds there, sucks up power quick. Welcome to 1/5 scale.:cool:

Last edited:
LHS hasn't a clue.(n) 30 -45 min run time??? :ROFLMAO:
Don't expect more than 10 -15 min. Give or take. Normal with some packs. Even with some larger capacity packs. Is what it is. K8 is like 30+ pounds there. Welcome to 1/5 scale.:cool:
When shall we be expecting you at the "8s club"?😉😜😎
Every fella should have a "pig" in his collection!🤣🤣

Honestly, are any of my above comments Wrong? Let's be honest now.
Just putting things into perspective for @Aloring3 .
I do have the cell checker at they are both around 14.

We were just running on cement since we had to stay home with family.
What are each cell's voltage? At LVC.
Not the total volts per pack. Check with your charger or a lipo checker to confirm this.

Last edited:
Honestly, are any of my above comments Wrong? Let's be honest now.
Just putting things into perspective for @Aloring3 .

What are each cell's voltage? At LVC.
Not the total volts per pack. Check with your charger or a lipo checker to confirm this.
No Sir. Just having some fun with it. TBH, I think the TRX 8s rigs are the easiest to live with and most efficient example of an 8s rc.

TRX 8s are like 10 pounds lighter FWIW. (y)
With most any RC, 10-15 min. give or take minutes is normal. I'm sure if you could squeeze a huge 3 pound 12k mah pack into a 3s rig , you could run very long if you don't break/snap something first. If running standard fare 5k mah 4s packs in a K8s , don't expect much.:)

TRX 8s are like 10 pounds lighter FWIW. (y)
With most any RC, 10-15 min. give or take minutes is normal. I'm sure if you could squeeze a huge 3 pound 12k mah pack into a 3s rig , you could run very long if you don't break/snap something first. If running standard fare 5k mah 4s packs in a K8s , don't expect much.:)
Nope, while I haven't had much runtime with my K8S, between my limited exposure and brother's O8S , both running 5a Spektrum batteries, the party is quite short..10 minutes at best. This is in a small area that really doesn't allow much if any full throttle pulls. Out in the open, much less runtime I'd imagine.
The Spektrum are a decent battery I feel..just that they cost double what they should..

Last edited:
Back