Should I go with a Hole or a Slot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
Should I or should I not ‘ventilate’ the chassis under the spur of my granite I’m building up 3s? I’ve seen so much info and so many opinions on this.

On my new vorteks I did the soft Velcro thing and further sealed the outside with tape. I’ll run it a few times and check. On my granite…it’s stripped down so now I’d the perfect time to drill or cut. I feel hesitant though. If I do, don’t slots have corners and aren’t rough cut corners a week spot? Would a 1/4 hole drilled be just as effective? Where exactly should said hole or slot be placed exactly?

Thank you all for entertaining my over thinking 😃

Some do it right under spur, personally haven cut any of my 3s arrmas and don’t plan too. I have replaced motor bearing in one motor, but not the others. I run typically in ultra fine dirt that finds its way everywhere regardless so a goo compressor blow out after each use and occasional opening up and cleaning has been fine ever since.

Here's were I put mine it is directly under the spur. I used a Dremel so it's rounded corners, also I launch it and had no issues at all in fact I cracked the chassis but at the front hinge pin slot and by the side guards you can kinda see in the bottom of the pic but no where near the chassis slot👍
IMG_20210617_141828663.jpg

Here's were I put mine it is directly under the spur. I used a Dremel so it's rounded corners, also I launch it and had no issues at all in fact I cracked the chassis but at the front hinge pin slot and by the side guards you can kinda see in the bottom of the pic but no where near the chassis slot👍 View attachment 152627
Cool…My dremal is not working for sure now so I’ve got a drill and quarter inch bit…will make that work. Still pondering on it tho.
Rounded corners are always stronger than sharp corners. To stop cracks from promulgating on aircraft, holes are drilled at each end of the crack. Aircraft windows have round corners to prevent stress cracks.
I knew there was a reason behind my belief. From personal experience mostly lol.

The hole in mine is 1 3/4 big.
Damn…near 2” huh. I don’t think I’ll drill one that big. Think I’ll stick with quarter or half inch if I go that route.

Yea I think both ways have their merits. IMO the most important thing is regular cleaning and maintenance.
Yeah when I pulled the vorteks apart today after just four runs there was a lot of stuff underneath. Stuff even worked behind where the soft Velcro ended. So I’m Tryna couple of other things

CUT THAT HOLE. Don't contemplate it. No tape or velcro is going to keep the dirt out. Didn't work on mine. Didn't work on my buddies big rock. What DID work was cutting that hole. I did it to both my Granite and Typhon and so glad I did :)

CUT THAT HOLE. Don't contemplate it. No tape or velcro is going to keep the dirt out. Didn't work on mine. Didn't work on my buddies big rock. What DID work was cutting that hole. I did it to both my Granite and Typhon and so glad I did :)
Yep I didn't do it on the new Vorteks to see how long the plastic spur would last and not only did the spur get chewed up but the motor blew a bearing in only 3 packs with not cutting the slit.

On my new vorteks I did the soft Velcro thing and further sealed the outside with tape. I’ll run it a few times and check.😃
Others have found the tape (velcro) method doesn't work for them,. But it works for me and my power module has to be cleaner than using a hole in the chassis. A hole lets dirt out, but also lets dirt in. My power module is 100% dirt free. If the velcro works in your Vorteks, there's no reason to drill a hole. If it doesn't, then you can drill a hole instead. But once you drill a hole, you can't undo it. I think it's obvious you should try the Velcro first.

I’ll figure out what works best for central Texas dust and spur/gear box dust. Since we have three, 3s cars now I’m trying a bit different approach on each.

Good idea but as I said in my experience the tape and foam doesn't last long and won't hold up tried that first and lasted about a month. Then went to even trying hot glue to completely seal it up and still didn't last. After the slot have had not a single issue. I left the new Vorteks no slot and like I said made it a whole 3 packs before it destroyed the motor bearing and spur gear. So now running steel spur and slit like my Granite that's had no issues for about 9 months so far.

Good idea but as I said in my experience the tape and foam doesn't last long and won't hold up tried that first and lasted about a month. Then went to even trying hot glue to completely seal it up and still didn't last. After the slot have had not a single issue. I left the new Vorteks no slot and like I said made it a whole 3 packs before it destroyed the motor bearing and spur gear. So now running steel spur and slit like my Granite that's had no issues for about 9 months so far.
I put a 1/4” hole in my granite a few weeks back but I’m not running it open yet. I keep a piece of tape over it so I can pull the tape off and see what gets stuck to it.

No hole for the vorteks or big rock till I’m sure. Can’t un-pop that cherry man. I have soft Velcro on one, tape on the other, sealed areas with tape and always run a dust cover. Takes care of much outside stuff getting in.

For inside stuff that’s generated from the spur and cover, I use the same trick that I used on all 3 voltages and that I used to use on certain cycling parts. A smear of thermal grease on the inside of the cover attracts all contaminants. I simply clean it out every now and then. I seal off the extra motor holes and do the washer/o ring/washer thing on the motor also.

My ways will either work or they won’t, as usual. I’ll know in the coming weeks. I’ll start pulling everything apart again soon. Tomorrow maybe. I want to make sure I get a dozen runs into each car though first. Were not running the big rock yet so it’ll take longer. The granite and vorteks are on their 10th run and doing well.

I am sure I do not drive near as hard as most of y’all…so learning the hard way shouldn’t be too bad 🙃

Yep definitely have to experiment with different things with the hobby and see what works best. In my case with my sandy dirt and harder driving style slit is best solution so far👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back