Silicone shock oil clean up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brake clean, acetone, carb clean.. any of them should work

Do you mean degreaser doesn't work? Or you can't use it in this particular application?

I use paper towels to wipe up/absorb any excess, toss that, then use dish soap to clean up the rest. That has done well for me.

Do you mean degreaser doesn't work? Or you can't use it in this particular application?

I use paper towels to wipe up/absorb any excess, toss that, then use dish soap to clean up the rest. That has done well for me.
Degreaser just doesn’t work. Sprayed the shocks down after my wreck and nope. Nada. Might as well have sprayed water on them. The reason I ask is cause there’s some little nooks and crannies I can’t get at with a towel.
Brake clean, acetone, carb clean.. any of them should work
Those aren’t plastic friendly in my experience.

Degreaser just doesn’t work. Sprayed the shocks down after my wreck and nope. Nada. Might as well have sprayed water on them. The reason I ask is cause there’s some little nooks and crannies I can’t get at with a towel.

Simple Green and a toothbrush.

Hmm, what degreaser were you using? I've used a degreaser spray to try and clean off grease before, but it wasn't nearly as effective as I would have liked. Once i started using dish soap my eyes were opened and I saw the light.

Simple Green and a toothbrush.
Simple green was worthless with silicone oil.
Hmm, what degreaser were you using? I've used a degreaser spray to try and clean off grease before, but it wasn't nearly as effective as I would have liked. Once i started using dish soap my eyes were opened and I saw the light.
I haven’t tried Dawn in this specific application. I probably should. That stuff works wonders.

Simple green was worthless with silicone oil.

I haven’t tried Dawn in this specific application. I probably should. That stuff works wonders.
I usually have a "disposable work surface" for easy clean up, so I haven't ever needed to use dish soap on my table or anything. But I have needed to clean out the inside of a diff case, shock bodies, gears, etc (anywhere silicone oil would be) and for me it just comes off super easy with a heavy application of dish soap and some finger rubbing or tooth brush. (y)

Huh? What kind of plastic are you spraying it on that it reacted?.. never had an issue with any of the above..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back