Kraton Slipper set up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andriu_fpv

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey, kraton 4s v2 here!

How tight do you have your slippers set up? We loosened it to the recommended 1.5 turns some recommend after fully tightening it and it will barely wheelie in asphalt. In the manual it says to loose it 0.5 turns, is that really the factory setting? I don’t want to strip the diffs :/

imgonline-com-ua-dexifGoaTXsCtnCtI.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
Alot of guys set their clutch by putting the truck on the ground and push down on the truck ( about chassi half way down the ground) roll the truck while holding the allen. When the wheels stop rolling and start skidding the clutch is set. You may have to repeat each time pushing down a little harder. Wood floors or tile floors are the best. Good luck! You'll get the nack for it.

Welcome to the forum.
Alot of guys set their clutch by putting the truck on the ground and push down on the truck ( about chassi half way down the ground) roll the truck while holding the allen. When the wheels stop rolling and start skidding the clutch is set. You may have to repeat each time pushing down a little harder. Wood floors or tile floors are the best. Good luck! You'll get the nack for it.
Although I have 3s cars and not 4s, this is the method I use to set my slippers. The manual states 1.5 turns out but that's way to tight for mine

My daughter's truck is an OC 4S v2, I run the Oktay slipper hub in it and have it red loctited a 1/2 turn out from bottomed, works perfect... and we run a 6s motor/esc combo in that one, granted only on 4s packs, but haven’t broke a diff yet and she's not the best driver lol, plenty of on-power landings

My daughter's truck is an OC 4S v2, I run the Oktay slipper hub in it and have it red loctited a 1/2 turn out from bottomed, works perfect... and we run a 6s motor/esc combo in that one, granted only on 4s packs, but haven’t broke a diff yet and she's not the best driver lol, plenty of on-power landings
My kids granite second pack popped a axle. I loosened the clutch about 1/8 and haven't popped a axle since. Wheels no problem and way too many on power landings. The kids really test those slipper clutch plates!!!
3s 4s tamato tomato
Same thing 🤔😉👍
Johnny.b I didn't mean to sound arrogant. I look at these 3s and 4s clutches like this, if we ran a say 8000mah lipo then that tight factory clutch setting is needed do to extra weight. Same with the 4s 8000mah lipo 1.5 out is needed. Different size lipo same slipper clutch. Most run around 5200mAh, big wight diffrence. Two different clutch settings same slipper clutch.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
But isn’t this basically running it fully tight? Tightening it further will probably break the hub

Welcome to the forum.
+1
It's the best way. Because with the nature of slippers, many factors influence its results. The 1.5 turn method is just a starting point like when installing a new one. How the factory installs them. It may or may not work for you.. In a perfect word, the best way is to set your diff using the actual surface you are running on. Not realistic most of the time.
Pads get glazed out and dirty with use. Even humidity or wet running will affect a slipper setting and as well as when they get hot with use. Tire size/traction/ type of surface changes also affects its final setting. I am not a fan of slipper clutches. Have several rigs with them. I prefer a center diff.
Welcome to AF.
Tom Hanks Hello GIF

Last edited:
But isn’t this basically running it fully tight? Tightening it further will probably break the hub
Not at all locked down. As long as the tires slide as it tightens on a wood floor a or tile floor. As long as you don't apply to much wight on the truck when rolling it. Carpet concrete or grass these surfaces might cause the clutch to tighten to much. Also tightening or loosening the clutch in 1/16 turns if it ends up being to loose or tight. Make a mark on your aluminum allen handle or a marking already on the handle to measure your turns. All trial and error unfortunately.

Last edited:
+!
Slipper setting is very subjective. Just need to understand adjusting them well enough . Very fine turns are needed. Like @Just a hobby stated above. It's all too easy to overshoot/undershoot the setting.
There is no Exact perfect setting. We all have different expectations of what "good enough" is. Just avoid way too loose or way too tight. Somewhere in the middle is personal and subjective.. Whatever it ends up being.
In simple terms... you just need to play with it.

My kids granite second pack popped a axle. I loosened the clutch about 1/8 and haven't popped a axle since. Wheels no problem and way too many on power landings. The kids really test those slipper clutch plates!!!

Johnny.b I didn't mean to sound arrogant. I look at these 3s and 4s clutches like this, if we ran a say 8000mah lipo then that tight factory clutch setting is needed do to extra weight. Same with the 4s 8000mah lipo 1.5 out is needed. Different size lipo same slipper clutch. Most run around 5200mAh, big wight diffrence. Two different clutch settings same slipper clutch.
No worries my friend. If the slipper fits then put it on :LOL:

Hey, kraton 4s v2 here!

How tight do you have your slippers set up? We loosened it to the recommended 1.5 turns some recommend after fully tightening it and it will barely wheelie in asphalt.

Honestly, that sounds about perfect. It should barely wheelie and definitely not backflip onto its roof. You could tighten it a 1/8 turn if you want, that won't hurt anything.

Welcome!

3S and 4S are pretty much the same. I started with what the manual said for the Granite. Watched a video that said to back it off .5 turns. Works like a charm. Granite, Big Rock and Typhon. Only stripped one spur on the Granite. My fault. Landed on full power trying to complete a second back flip. Worth it. Lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back