Slop in aluminum 3s diff yoke?

Hector_Fisher

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
Maybe it shouldn't surprise me, but would you consider this detrimental slop for the input gear?

Just got the RCAWD aluminum diff yoke and CNC steel diff. The input has almost no slop when installed with the stock composite yoke that came with the CNC diff, but lots of slop with the aluminum one. I guess I could try to shim the input so it's always "slopped" to one direction, but that just seems like a poor practice.

Johnny b

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
For my 2 cents worth, looks like to much slop. These darn aftermarket parts companies do this all to often. New bearings on the drive pinion?

Velodromed

One to turn, two to burn.
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Typhon 3s
  8. Vorteks
  9. Voltage
  10. Infraction 4x4
Maybe it shouldn't surprise me, but would you consider this detrimental slop for the input gear?

Just got the RCAWD aluminum diff yoke and CNC steel diff. The input has almost no slop when installed with the stock composite yoke that came with the CNC diff, but lots of slop with the aluminum one. I guess I could try to shim the input so it's always "slopped" to one direction, but that just seems like a poor practice.

Wow, that is really bad. The one I got (same brand) did not do that and I set it up with a metal diff as well. I think I’ll steer free of it though if some of them are like that. Did you get it off of Amazon? Return it if you did and drop the additional 10 bucks for a hot racing one.
Man, it’s one thing if it moved in and out a little bit, that could be shimmed. But side to side? Total crap. Bummer man, sorry you got a poor one.

Hector_Fisher

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
For my 2 cents worth, looks like to much slop. These darn aftermarket parts companies do this all to often. New bearings on the drive pinion?
Yeah everything's new. All came with the CNC diff.
Wow, that is really bad. The one I got (same brand) did not do that and I set it up with a metal diff as well. I think I’ll steer free of it though if some of them are like that. Did you get it off of Amazon? Return it if you did and drop the additional 10 bucks for a hot racing one.
Man, it’s one thing if it moved in and out a little bit, that could be shimmed. But side to side? Total crap. Bummer man, sorry you got a poor one.
So if I add three shims or so to the ring side, it kind of makes the slop a little better. But yeah there is still slop. Kind of disappointing. I'll return and either consider just running the composite one or seeing how much the hot racing one is.

You think the hot racing one would be any better? (Granted it could be that a new RCAWD one might be fine as well)

Velodromed

One to turn, two to burn.
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Typhon 3s
  8. Vorteks
  9. Voltage
  10. Infraction 4x4
Yeah everything's new. All came with the CNC diff.

So if I add three shims or so to the ring side, it kind of makes the slop a little better. But yeah there is still slop. Kind of disappointing. I'll return and either consider just running the composite one or seeing how much the hot racing one is.

You think the hot racing one would be any better? (Granted it could be that a new RCAWD one might be fine as well)
I have 7 of the hot racing ones and all have been solid after 18+ months use. I noticed they feel a bit heavier than the off brand one when comparing them. I’ll be looking at the one. Ill look closely at the RCAWD one I have when I pull it out of my 4S build for servicing in a month or so. Curious to see if it holds up as well as the HR ones. I think the HR ones are CNCd. I know the RCAWD is definitely not. Yup, I’ll definitely compare them closely when I pull them out.