SLT3 vs DX3 transmitter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCRC granite

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello again! I was wanting some opinions on the DX3 vs SLT3. Is the DX3 really a better radio? Does it really have better range and sensitivity? I know it costs around $30 more, but i want input from real experience. i wanted to swap with my stock granite radio, just wanted to make sure it's a good decision first. I already swapped the receiver, and i do notice the "avc", it actually does keep it nice and straight on the road. Thank you!

Skip AVC and any Spektrum gear.(n) The RTR radios or the Upgrade ones. (n)
Get yourself a Radiolink RC6GS with the Gyro Rx included. Or even the RC4GS for $20. less. The 4 channel version. Otherwise identical performance to the 6 channel version.
The signal range is the best. I speed run very far with mine. These are real RC Multi-model radios with all the Radio features you truly need. You can add other RC cars to it. Additional Rx's are Inexpensive also. (y)Unike the $Spektrum AVC Rx's$. Buying one of these 2 radios puts you at the next level with RC'ing. Hands down. Driving will feel so much better. You will feel way better connected with your RC model. And at a moderate price point. A future proof RC investment.

Last edited:
Get yourself a Radiolink RC6GS with the Gyro Rx included. Or even the RC4GS for $20. less. The 4 channel version. Otherwise identical performance to the 6 channel version.
The signal range is the best. I speed run very far with mine. These are real RC Multi-model radios with all the Radio features you truly need. You can add other RC cars to it. Rx's are inexpensive also. (y)Unike the $Spektrum AVC Rx's$. Buying one of these 2 radios puts you at the next level with RC'ing. Hands down. Driving will feel so much better. You will feel way better connected with your RC model. And at a moderate price point. A future proof RC investment.
The RC6GS is an awesome radio. I have the V2 version which can handle 10 different vehicles, but the new V3 can handle 20 vehicles. The range on the RC6GS is three times that of most radios - 600m vice 200m - and extra receivers are less than $20 each, compared to Spektrum receivers at near $50 each. The configuration options on the RC6GS are extensive: you can configure each vehicle to exactly the way you want it to run. I have all 10 of my bashers running on my RC6GS.

@slick2500 ..... +1.
I didn't want to comment on that one ...... but you did.:giggle:
Some don't know I guess??:unsure: SLT3 is not an AVC capable radio. Not sure what the OP is talking about there. Just a pacebo effect. Thinks the AVC is actually working???:giggle: Not. A learning curve I surmise...
The RC6GS is an awesome radio. I have the V2 version which can handle 10 different vehicles, but the new V3 can handle 20 vehicles. The range on the RC6GS is three times that of most radios - 600m vice 200m - and extra receivers are less than $20 each, compared to Spektrum receivers at near $50 each. The configuration options on the RC6GS are extensive: you can configure each vehicle to exactly the way you want it to run. I have all 10 of my bashers running on my RC6GS.
Yeah Spektrum gets $80.-$100. for their AVC receivers.:whistle:(n) (n)Been there and moved on....

Last edited:
The signal range is the best. I speed run very far with mine. These are real RC Multi-model radios with all the Radio features you truly need. You can add other RC cars to it. Additional Rx's are Inexpensive also. (y)Unike the $Spektrum AVC Rx's$. Buying one of these 2 radios puts you at the next level with RC'ing. Hands down. Driving will feel so much better. You will feel way better connected with your RC model. And at a moderate price point. A future proof RC investment.

This ^
The RCG6S is worlds better than any of the Spektrum radios I have especially the DX5C that costs more than twice as much. Pretty sure I paid $180 for my DX5C whereas the Radiolink was $80. Spektrum Avc receivers are like $100, Radiolink Gyro receivers are like $18. The cheap Chinese knockoff Spektrum Sr3100 3 channel receivers are the same price.

When it comes to surface radios Spektrum is really the bottom of the barrel there are many cheaper aftermarket and even rtr radio systems that are much better. Hell even the DumboRC radios are better than Spektrum and they cost like $40.

But to answer your question no the DX3 isn't really any better than the SLT3.

Yeah Even the DumboRC is leaps and bounds way better. There are way better options out there over Spektrum. Like the GT-5.....also popular.
Just that the Radiolink's have superior range, the inexpensive go-to radio for any Speed Runner. And is even Telemetry Capable if that matters to you. I religated my DX5C radio to my lesser used models now. My Vintage ones. DX5C ( non Smart version from years back ) was a mistake on my part, in retrospect. Its Rx's can be so tempermental and AVC is far from all that, as Gyros go.
Then you have Futaba, the best, if your wallet permits. Just the Rx's are pricey.
But love my NB4. My Fav. radio.

Last edited:
All depends on the Rx and the Rx box dimensions. I found the Spektrum AVC Rx's to be very large. One main drawback. Check dimensions when shopping, what will fit in your Rx Box.
All my Radiolink Rx's fit in my 6s rig Rx boxes. Even the RL 6 channel dual antenna Gyro ones.
You can always position the Rx on its side or in any position to fit. It just needs to be secured with a 2 way tape. This should be done before you bind the Rx, if you are running the Gyro Enabled. Any Gyro or AVC Rx needs to be firmly affixed inside the Rx Box.

I am running the dx3 right now, thats how i got the avc. I installed the spektrum sr315 receiver. I'm not actually wanting to buy another radio, i can swap my slt3 for the dx3 basically for free. If i went 600m with my granite i would probably lose it😆!! 1/10 scale is too small! I'm fine with the slt3, it works good, i was just going to take this opportunity to upgrade. I do like the brake strength adjustment on the dx3 though. I would like a futuba if possible!! I don't want to spend too much on upgrades like that though because I want to get a fpv system!

If its FREE, and already have it in hand, go with the DX3, for Sure. The DX3 has the better Signal Protocol, FWIW. Better latency Frame Rate specs. (y) It wasn't clear what your objective was. Buying/Upgrading out of pocket....
If not Free, don't waste any more coin on Spektrum radios or Rx's. Cut your losses.
Just me.

Just in my experience, range and functionality are the same between the two. The DX3 can run the telemetry and AVC stuff which is nice for knowing run times and stability control.

Yeah Even the DumboRC is leaps and bounds way better. There are way better options out there over Spektrum. Like the GT-5.....also popular.
Just that the Radiolink's have superior range, the inexpensive go-to radio for any Speed Runner. And is even Telemetry Capable if that matters to you. I religated my DX5C radio to my lesser used models now. My Vintage ones. DX5C ( non Smart version from years back ) was a mistake on my part, in retrospect. Its Rx's can be so tempermental and AVC is far from all that, as Gyros go.
Then you have Futaba, the best, if your wallet permits. Just the Rx's are pricey.
But love my NB4. My Fav. radio.
If you buy the pc adapter thingy you can update the firmware to Smart version.

I do normally update my DX5C. Or did in the past with the latest Raceware updates..
Just I don't use any Smart features/ Lipos/ ESC's anyway.
What sucks is that when you do an update, all the models get erased. They all need to be rebound. Again.:rolleyes:
That really sucks!!!

I do normally update my DX5C. Or did in the past with the latest Raceware updates..
Just I don't use any Smart features/ Lipos/ ESC's anyway.
What sucks is that when you do an update, all the models get erased. They all need to be rebound. Again.:rolleyes:
That really sucks!!!
Meh once I get everything switched over to my Radiolink mine is going in the trash anyway.

Do you guys run into issues with the high channel receivers fitting into the same blx compartment?
No.
You can always position the Rx on its side or in any position to fit. It just needs to be secured with a 2 way tape. This should be done before you bind the Rx, if you are running the Gyro Enabled. Any Gyro or AVC Rx needs to be firmly affixed inside the Rx Box.
Not necessarily. The orientation of a gyro receiver can definitely matter. I learned this by installing one on its edge so I could fit a BEC into the box with it. I’d used it for a year and it worked great, and then when I mounted it that way it just didn’t know what to do and the truck was utterly undriveable. I had to disable the gyro for the short term, and I eventually changed the layout so it was again mounted “flat” in the bottom of the receiver box.
Also, back in the day I bought some Chinese no-brand radio with a gyro receiver and the receiver had an arrow printed on it for “this side faces front.” I’m guessing because the radio wasn’t sophisticated enough to change the direction.

Hello again! I was wanting some opinions on the DX3 vs SLT3. Is the DX3 really a better radio? Does it really have better range and sensitivity? I know it costs around $30 more, but i want input from real experience. i wanted to swap with my stock granite radio, just wanted to make sure it's a good decision first. I already swapped the receiver, and i do notice the "avc", it actually does keep it nice and straight on the road. Thank you!

Lots of good posts above... I will share a link here about Spektrum AVC I responded to:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/gyro-anyone.62873/post-982288

Spektrum stuff is costly, and I got all mine cheap second-hand here (all of it)...so I am too deep in to change, but you have an excellent start to take the advice above.

When I was in the position like you, and those were the only two radios I had...the DX3, hands down, just a little more controls, and I liked the brake knob to keep the ESC at 100% brake and make the lower adjustment on the DX3. I used AVC, but it is very limited on the DX3 to get the actual experience Spektrum designed it for.

Best of luck with a pick... If I were in your shoes, I would jump ship with the advice above if I were going outside of the two you asked about (y)

Lots of good posts above... I will share a link here about Spektrum AVC I responded to:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/gyro-anyone.62873/post-982288

Spektrum stuff is costly, and I got all mine cheap second-hand here (all of it)...so I am too deep in to change, but you have an excellent start to take the advice above.

When I was in the position like you, and those were the only two radios I had...the DX3, hands down, just a little more controls, and I liked the brake knob to keep the ESC at 100% brake and make the lower adjustment on the DX3. I used AVC, but it is very limited on the DX3 to get the actual experience Spektrum designed it for.

Best of luck with a pick... If I were in your shoes, I would jump ship with the advice above if I were going outside of the two you asked about (y)
I know this thread has helped me decide even though I didn’t start it. I was about to throw a dx3 in the Jenny’s cart not realizing I can get a dumbo for the same price or the rc4gs for $20 more.

No.

Not necessarily. The orientation of a gyro receiver can definitely matter. I learned this by installing one on its edge so I could fit a BEC into the box with it. I’d used it for a year and it worked great, and then when I mounted it that way it just didn’t know what to do and the truck was utterly undriveable. I had to disable the gyro for the short term, and I eventually changed the layout so it was again mounted “flat” in the bottom of the receiver box.
Also, back in the day I bought some Chinese no-brand radio with a gyro receiver and the receiver had an arrow printed on it for “this side faces front.” I’m guessing because the radio wasn’t sophisticated enough to change the direction.
All the Spektrum manuals for their AVC Rx's indicate it can be mounted Flat with label facing UP or on its Side.
I never had an issue mounted either way. I placed a few Rx's on their side, having a Light switch controller also inside the Rx Box.
Honestly, no issues. Just AVC gyros can be Tempermental for other reasons. But not due to its Orientation, as long as you Bind it after it is already mounted firmly, whatever postion you choose.
Changing its orientation, will always require another Rebind, all over Again. Or it will be a fail.
All Gyro Rx's seem to work this way.:unsure:

Attachments

• AVC manual.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
All the Spektrum manuals for their AVC Rx's indicate it can be mounted Flat with label facing UP or on its Side.
I never had an issue mounted either way. I placed a few Rx's on their side, having a Light switch controller also inside the Rx Box.
Honestly, no issues. Just AVC gyros can be Tempermental for other reasons. But not due to its Orientation, as long as you Bind it after it is already mounted firmly, whatever postion you choose.
All Gyro Rx's seem to work this way.:unsure:
Mine was not a Spektrum radio/receiver combo when that occurred. It was the gyro receiver from a Team Associated Pro SC10. I’m not sure why, and can‘t cite a technical reason for the behavior of the gyro, but the orientation definitely influenced it. The truck instantly became undriveable when I mounted it on its side. I disabled the gyro on the radio and it was fine. I later just pulled the BEC out of the receiver box and put the receiver back in its original, flat orientation and function was restored.
You’re probably right about the orientation of the Spektrum ones not really mattering, but I can’t speak to it because I’ve never done that with any of my AVC equipped rigs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back