Typhon SOLVED Typhon 3s rear wheels wont spin after metal spur gear replacement (video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavefromCA

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Typhon 3s
  3. Vendetta
SOLVED: Thank you for the help SrC, I replaced the motor mount plate, sure enough the other was badly bent. I was able to flatten the old one and its now in my spare parts bin. Now my fleet of 3 cars capable of dirt bashing is 100%, 2 typhons, and a granite. My 2 boys and I had a blast this weekend.

As the title states, my kid ran my Typhon into a wall at high speed. The car ran for a while, but then the engine would just whine, and the car wouldn't move. Sure enough, I took it apart and the plastic spur gear was stripped. I order a new metal spur, install went smoothly. When I put everything back together, the rear wheels have a hard time spinning. I am totally stumped. Everything fit together just fine, when I take everything apart, nothing seems seized or overtightened. The mesh and slipped clutch seem to be perfectly set.

Here is a video:

Again, I am totally stumped, taken apart, everything seems to spec.

Last edited:
You must be overlooking something. If you went over everything again.
There is a horrible amount of binding there somewhere.
From where I am sitting and per the video. I would look to the Rear diff, if you are sure that the spur/pin mesh is ok. That the Motor is also ok.( Not locked up.
You Probably had more damage than you originally thought from that Bad hit into the wall at high speed.
Or even simply a wrenching error?:cool:
Need to go over it again.
You shouldn't run it this way obviously.

You must be overlooking something. If you went over everything again.
There is a horrible amount of binding there somewhere.
From where I am sitting and per the video. I would look to the Rear diff, if you are sure that the spur/pin mesh is ok. That the Motor is also ok.( Not locked up.
You Probably had more damage than you originally thought from that Bad hit into the wall at high speed.
Or even simply a wrenching error?:cool:
Need to go over it again.
You shouldn't run it this way obviously.

Thanks for the reply. I actually took the slipper clutch, attached it by itself to the rear diff, attached the drive shaft, without the motor parts, kind of held it in place with my hands, and pushed the thing with my foot and again, everything spun as it should have, no resistance. I don’t think it’s the rear diff.

This morning, comparing to my other Typhon, I am noticing the motor is angled outward. Im wondering if that’s what happened during the crash, and how the original plastic sour gear got chewed up. I will take it all apart and realign the motor. It’s MUCH easier to get apart now that I’ve been in there 4 times lol.

I see now...(y)

Looks that the Motor mount plate is bent. This is what actually chewed up the spur gear. Remove teh plate and check for flatness. This is Very Common to bend. The spur and Pinion will bind up the whole drivetrain. Especially with a high speed wall hit. I would check that next. for sure.
Consider upgrading that motor mount plate. Bending them is a common theme with the 4X4 line. Sometimes just landing on your lid can tweak them bad enough. Motor mesh will never be correct without a perfectly straight Motor Mount Plate. Binding will result. Sometimes really bad like yours.
BTW, always use some Blue Threadlocker on the Motor meshing screws and let cure for 24 hours before running.
Get back to let us know what the issue really was.:cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back