Kraton speed pinion question for kraton 6s blx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradley fletch

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi there i am going to be getting an arrma kraton 6s v5 very soon and wondered that if i used the included 15t speed pinion on it would it be able to run on very low grass with mostly dried mud without overheating. I don't really bash my rc cars to much but like to be able to race offroad without issues. I have attached a photo of the exact field i am looking to often run on. If i need fans or a heat sink could I get any recommendations please? Thank you!

field.jpg

field1.jpg

Welcome aboard Bradley!

The question is for how long do you intend to run it? You could probably get a way with it for a few mins but it will get hot in those few minutes so some countermeasure would be in order.

My recommendation: skip heat sinks as they only put a barrier between the motor and your fans, they can create air pockets between heatsink and can that will act like thermal insulation, etc....the best solution is to add one or two high speed server fans, depending on how much heat needs to be extracted. You'll obviously have noticeable differences between summer and winter but here's my recommendation:

Here are some good options depending on your budget (https://www.islandhobbynut.com/motor-fans?page=2). The IronMan are the in house brand and $45 is a fair price for a dual 40x40x28mm fan setup. All you'll need is a small 2S or 3S lipo to power them (I'd recommend at least 1000-1500mAh so they don't die after three minutes).

The Powerhobby dual fans are nice as the fans are aluminum, hence the premium price. Down below you'll find Powerhobby fan brackets that hold two fans each. That way you can select your own fans if you want. www.digikey.com has a giant selection of fans. It's a bit time intensive to sort through it all but the selection is unbeatable and the prices are great (they do a lot of bulk sales of electronic components of any kind). They're well worth having a look at.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's almost always someone here for a fast turn around. :)

Welcome aboard Bradley!

The question is for how long do you intend to run it? You could probably get a way with it for a few mins but it will get hot in those few minutes so some countermeasure would be in order.

My recommendation: skip heat sinks as they only put a barrier between the motor and your fans, they can create air pockets between heatsink and can that will act like thermal insulation, etc....the best solution is to add one or two high speed server fans, depending on how much heat needs to be extracted. You'll obviously have noticeable differences between summer and winter but here's my recommendation:

Here are some good options depending on your budget (https://www.islandhobbynut.com/motor-fans?page=2). The IronMan are the in house brand and $45 is a fair price for a dual 40x40x28mm fan setup. All you'll need is a small 2S or 3S lipo to power them (I'd recommend at least 1000-1500mAh so they don't die after three minutes).

The Powerhobby dual fans are nice as the fans are aluminum, hence the premium price. Down below you'll find Powerhobby fan brackets that hold two fans each. That way you can select your own fans if you want. www.digikey.com has a giant selection of fans. It's a bit time intensive to sort through it all but the selection is unbeatable and the prices are great (they do a lot of bulk sales of electronic components of any kind). They're well worth having a look at.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's almost always someone here for a fast turn around. :)
Thank you for all the advice I didn’t expect such a fast reply. I am 16 years old and this will be my first Arrma car I have a 3s ftx bugsta at the moment but it really isn’t brilliant and either destroys diffs or spur gears when I go out. I have read a lot of forums about tightening screws before use and making sure everything is tight. I’m just making sure that I know as much about the kraton before I get one so I don’t do stupid mistakes and hopefully don’t have any expensive breaks 😂.

I run mine on 15t pinion in a grass field much like in your pic. I use a single 40mm fan (28K), back to back 4s packs with no issue. Motor temps around 120-130.

Thank you for all the advice I didn’t expect such a fast reply. I am 16 years old and this will be my first Arrma car I have a 3s ftx bugsta at the moment but it really isn’t brilliant and either destroys diffs or spur gears when I go out. I have read a lot of forums about tightening screws before use and making sure everything is tight. I’m just making sure that I know as much about the kraton before I get one so I don’t do stupid mistakes and hopefully don’t have any expensive breaks 😂.
Sounds like a good time.

One thing is all but certain (you would be the first to break the mold if you don't) and that is you are going to make stupid mistakes. Depending on what the specific mistake is and the consequences of said mistake, there's a lot of low cost/high value information to be gleaned from "stupid mistakes".

Here's a classic example: Generally speaking it only happens once that you put on your wheels and hex nuts, but forget to tighten them down with a socket wrench or whatever. That moment when between one and three wheels head off in different directions from the rest of your car tends to be a memorable moment and this is something that tends to happen early on in your RC career so you're probably not likely to encounter this during a 150mph speed run. By the time you're doing that, you have a rather impressive number of stupid mistake notches under your belt and, more than likely, have incorporated a sort of pre-flight check list into your routine before you head out that includes a final check of your wheel nuts.

I could go on as there are dozens, if not hundreds, of similar examples of mistakes that don't turn out horribly and you just naturally build up a situational immune response. Of course they're not all benign and/or cheap and those...I guarantee you, you will only make once. It's all part of the game so don't stress about that and make sure that you have fun above all else.

And yes...ensuring that all fasteners are seated properly and that, where appropriate, thread locking compound has been applied and give 24 hours to cure. Speaking of thread locker, make certain to thoroughly wash the fasteners that get a dab of TL with acetone to remove any grease, oil or other residue that could prevent the TL compound from setting up and curing properly. Sometimes the devil is in the details but, you'll see.

Much will become routine before you know it and, if you're unsure about anything, do some quick 5 minute google-fu and see if you can work it out. If no satisfactory answer presents itself and you're not sure if it's correct, come here and ask. As you see, this forum is pretty lively and there almost always someone knowledgeable around and you'll get an answer in a timely manner. :)

Sounds like a good time.

One thing is all but certain (you would be the first to break the mold if you don't) and that is you are going to make stupid mistakes. Depending on what the specific mistake is and the consequences of said mistake, there's a lot of low cost/high value information to be gleaned from "stupid mistakes".

Here's a classic example: Generally speaking it only happens once that you put on your wheels and hex nuts, but forget to tighten them down with a socket wrench or whatever. That moment when between one and three wheels head off in different directions from the rest of your car tends to be a memorable moment and this is something that tends to happen early on in your RC career so you're probably not likely to encounter this during a 150mph speed run. By the time you're doing that, you have a rather impressive number of stupid mistake notches under your belt and, more than likely, have incorporated a sort of pre-flight check list into your routine before you head out that includes a final check of your wheel nuts.

I could go on as there are dozens, if not hundreds, of similar examples of mistakes that don't turn out horribly and you just naturally build up a situational immune response. Of course they're not all benign and/or cheap and those...I guarantee you, you will only make once. It's all part of the game so don't stress about that and make sure that you have fun above all else.

And yes...ensuring that all fasteners are seated properly and that, where appropriate, thread locking compound has been applied and give 24 hours to cure. Speaking of thread locker, make certain to thoroughly wash the fasteners that get a dab of TL with acetone to remove any grease, oil or other residue that could prevent the TL compound from setting up and curing properly. Sometimes the devil is in the details but, you'll see.

Much will become routine before you know it and, if you're unsure about anything, do some quick 5 minute google-fu and see if you can work it out. If no satisfactory answer presents itself and you're not sure if it's correct, come here and ask. As you see, this forum is pretty lively and there almost always someone knowledgeable around and you'll get an answer in a timely manner. :)
Thank you again for all that advice I really enjoy this hobby and am lucky to have a friend also into this hobby. I came here looking for suggestions and advice and that's exactly what I have received I will definitely be back to this forum for help in the future lol. My current RC is broke at the moment with a rounded off spur gear but I haven't bothered fixing it yet as every little bit of money is going towards my Kraton 😂. Last little bit needs to be saved now and then im off up the hobby shop!

Last year I ran an 18T pinion in my Kraton 6s with a Castle MMX 8s ESC and a 1717 1650kv motor. Before I put the fan on the motor, it never got over 128F after a 20-minute run at high speeds in low 80F weather. I've recently increased the pinion size to 20T, and I will be cooling the motor with a single 40mm Powerhobby Tornado fan on a clamp-on mount.

Castle 1717 1650KV XLXESC 2x40mm fans and 23T pinion. Never gets over 120 degrees in mid summer at full speed. Crazy fast.

I run a 16t pinion on one of my Kratons with the factory motor and esc and Backflip LP tires. I have a Rocket fan on the arrma heat sink and I don’t have any issues with overheating on any terrain. I run mine on 6s and run it hard. I think the hottest I’ve seen my temps are right around 100 here in South Ga.

I run a 17t pinion on my other 6s Kraton with factory motor and esc with the 6s backflip tires. I have a dual nhx fan setup on it and still zero overheating issues.

I also run a 16t pinion in my 6s Notorious without any issues, so, me personally, I wouldn’t think a 15t should give you any problem as long as you have a decent fan setup

I run a 16t on mine and clocked it at a cool, calm 68mph.. I would insist on running some 40mm fans regardless of pinion size.. will keep the system happy and cooler run times will prolong it's life!! 😎
I was just wondering about a 16t pinion w 50t spur, with 1 35mm surpass hobby rocket fan. Should I go dual fans. Mainly running on dirt and some jumps. Have you ever had a heat issue?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back