Speed Runners ~ How Fast Did You Go Today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You ain’t kidding, that thing is LOUD! 😂
Beautiful pass, man. That 188 looked effortless.
I know the particular motors I’m using extremely well. One of the three motors in this car was the first Tp motor I purchased 3+ years ago, with 100’s of passes and will always be one of my favorite motors to use

I know the particular motors I’m using extremely well. One of the three motors in this car was the first Tp motor I purchased 3+ years ago, with 100’s of passes and will always be one of my favorite motors to use
All three are the same kv though, right? 😂

We finally have our very own speedrun section so,
Let’s see ‘um

Post up your daily MPH and/or new PB numbers here.
Tried a short little run on stock gearing, typhon grom.

Screenshot_20240402_140100_GNSS PA.jpg

You ain’t kidding, that thing is LOUD! 😂
Beautiful pass, man. That 188 looked effortless.
He really makes it look easy, huh?. I'd be content doing just one pass half as good as any of his......Just one!
I tell my non speed run rc friends that getting a car to hit 100mph and up is the easy part. Just need money for the esc and motor. The hard part setting it up so it stays planted, going straight, and bringing it back.

He really makes it look easy, huh?. I'd be content doing just one pass half as good as any of his......Just one!
I tell my non speed run rc friends that getting a car to hit 100mph and up is the easy part. Just need money for the esc and motor. The hard part setting it up so it stays planted, going straight, and bringing it back.
It’s all about consistency. If you look at my channel and see all the runs I post, I probably do 2-3 x that amount that I don’t post as I try to progress. Sometimes I’ll hit the same speed 3-5 times or more, or have a crash which I also post sometimes too. It’s all part of progression. I have had a few 3000+ $ cars flying thru the air,

As I have gotten faster over the years the speeds have become more attainable because I get used to running the speeds,
Right now for me 175-185 mph I can comfortably do everytime I go out however pushing for 200+ still gets me a little shaky, I remember 2 seasons ago whem 170-180 was crazy to me and the year before 150’s I was shaking with nerves.
It’s why I recommend so much that in one way or another you work your way up.
I see guys on Facebook building their first speed run cars as 200+ mph capable duals because they followed a video from Raz, or seen some posts of someone’s setup. There’s so much aero and suspension that goes into getting a car to achieve those speeds that you can’t learn until you progress.

That is all part of the fun anyway, building a car and working your way up with it. Thru the ups and downs to achieve the highest speed you can

It’s all about consistency. If you look at my channel and see all the runs I post, I probably do 2-3 x that amount that I don’t post as I try to progress. Sometimes I’ll hit the same speed 3-5 times or more, or have a crash which I also post sometimes too. It’s all part of progression. I have had a few 3000+ $ cars flying thru the air,

As I have gotten faster over the years the speeds have become more attainable because I get used to running the speeds,
Right now for me 175-185 mph I can comfortably do everytime I go out however pushing for 200+ still gets me a little shaky, I remember 2 seasons ago whem 170-180 was crazy to me and the year before 150’s I was shaking with nerves.
I see guys on Facebook building their first speed run cars as 200+ mph capable duals because they followed a video from Raz, or seen some posts of someone’s setup. There’s so much aero and suspension that goes into getting a car to achieve those speeds that you can’t learn until you progress.

That is all part of the fun anyway, building a car and working your way up with it. Thru the ups and downs to achieve the highest speed you can
For me the "can comfortably do every time" speed is 85-95mph (with my 1/7th) vendetta is at 60mph. the "gets me a little shaky" 95-105 for 1/7th 75+ detta.
it's all about the driver's experience. Your 100% right, a video can't make you a 200mph runner. It took me 2y to get to 100mph.

Some guys think they can just go out and do it. I’ve been wondering what ever happened with that service guy that was building the dual motor car in Japan. He was posting super basic questions that pretty much showed he had zero experience in the hobby, and was going for broke on his build. He didn’t seem at all interested in taking any advice from you guys who actually know what you’re doing.
I’m assuming it ended badly. He just quit showing up here abruptly. I can’t remember his user name…

Very well said Turbowolf! Thanks for your knowledge👍. Speed running certainly isn't something you just start doing at a high level, It takes a lot of practice, patients, a ton of learning and of course a lot of dead presidents 💸 if you want to keep at it and keep progressing! I started trying speed runs a year ago when the AK917 released and boy I learned quick that its way harder than I thought it would be! There is a lot more to it than I expected but it's very interesting to me and of course super fun! it has me hooked hard!
Keep pushing boys!

Sound advice. I know I would have benefited learning many aspects behind a speed run before actually undertaking them. This year will be a welcome challenge. I really need to figure out my castle data logs. Learn what they are telling me and how to apply improvements. Look into possibly moving on with a LWB(body choices too limited with swb). My passes to date in the 90-129mph range have already shown me im far from ready to go north of 130mph, yet here I am..... And its not only the car that needs fine tuning, the driver does too. Its funny my PB was achieved when i wasnt really attempting a speed run and that tells me there is an unspoken psychological aspect here too. There is a world of a difference between going out alone, making several passes to dial in transmitter, fine tune a car, and practice trigger pulls from having a few of buddies come out (to film and chase) and actually doing a proper speed run. There's pressure. Or even discounting that, nerves can hold us back too. That can't be eliminated because there is so much that go wrong with a speed run. At best we can only learn to control it.

For me the "can comfortably do every time" speed is 85-95mph (with my 1/7th) vendetta is at 60mph. the "gets me a little shaky" 95-105 for 1/7th 75+ detta.
it's all about the driver's experience. Your 100% right, a video can't make you a 200mph runner. It took me 2y to get to 100mph.
I thought I could just put together a 130mph car "just like that" and look I am still on the 100's and hoping to see 120's this year.
And there’s nothing wrong with being at that speed right now, you’ll get comfortable getting to 120mph and before you know it you will work up to 130+

Some guys think they can just go out and do it. I’ve been wondering what ever happened with that service guy that was building the dual motor car in Japan. He was posting super basic questions that pretty much showed he had zero experience in the hobby, and was going for broke on his build. He didn’t seem at all interested in taking any advice from you guys who actually know what you’re doing.
I’m assuming it ended badly. He just quit showing up here abruptly. I can’t remember his user name…
Yep. On the FB speed run groups I see at least 1 rage quiter a week. Not sure why they take that position as anyone buying any type of RC runs a risk of severly damaging it at any given time while using it. And if you use it for speed run, you increase the odds of that happening to the point where its all but guaranteed. But I also see something else that makes me REALLY like this hobby. I see guys offering up advice, parts and other forms of help to keep a stranger in the hobby.
From my perspective, I've been in and done paintball, airsoft, hunting, offroading, and hockey clubs or groups. And none of them even came close to what I see in this hobby. Hell, last fall a crawling friend and I joined up with another group a 2 hour drive up north for the day. Half hour into the crawl my TF2 pooped the bed. A guy I didn't even know told me to take the Trx4 on his Hauler and put my TF2 on the Hauler. He ensured I didn't miss out on the crawl, my drive out wasn't wasted, and best of all I didn't have to carry the TF2 for the next 3 hours following their group. Go paintballing and if you blow a seal you are SOOL if you don't personally have a spare.

Yep. On the FB speed run groups I see at least 1 rage quiter a week. Not sure why they take that position as anyone buying any type of RC runs a risk of severly damaging it at any given time while using it. And if you use it for speed run, you increase the odds of that happening to the point where its all but guaranteed. But I also see something else that makes me REALLY like this hobby. I see guys offering up advice, parts and other forms of help to keep a stranger in the hobby.
From my perspective, I've been in and done paintball, airsoft, hunting, offroading, and hockey clubs or groups. And none of them even came close to what I see in this hobby. Hell, last fall a crawling friend and I joined up with another group a 2 hour drive up north for the day. Half hour into the crawl my TF2 pooped the bed. A guy I didn't even know told me to take the Trx4 on his Hauler and put my TF2 on the Hauler. He ensured I didn't miss out on the crawl, my drive out wasn't wasted, and best of all I didn't have to carry the TF2 for the next 3 hours following their group. Go paintballing and if you blow a seal you are SOOL if you don't personally have a spare.
It is a great community.
I have had guys send me their cars to run and have fun with over the years.
Right now I have a vendetta from k-bash on here that we are sending between friends and running on 4s then signing the bottom before it goes off to someone else,
It’s really cool to connect with guys all across the US, the UK, Taiwan, China, Vietnam, India , all interested and talking of speedruns. There’s a handful of guys in India and Vietnam that speedrun and I have helped them with advice on their logs and seen them progress with what they have,
When I talk with the owner of Tp power I get a glimpse into a completely different culture but we still have something that connects us.
It is really cool and I enjoy it a lot

I thought I could just put together a 130mph car "just like that" and look I am still on the 100's and hoping to see 120's this year.
Everyone has different experiences with the speed side of the hobby, but for me the most exciting time was in that 90-105 mph range. Running cheaper setups and pushing them to their limits was very fun!

The 110-135 range was very smooth for me (mostly on 3s power). Zero drama there.

Then the 140+ speeds came with high anxiety and fear. I loved the new PBs when they happened, but hated the drama that came with it.

As mentioned by others the community is great in speed running. I also have friends all over the world that I would have otherwise never met. Talked last night and this morning with a guy from Poland about Lehner motors and his bench load testing of them and the rated KV values.

Why is that? Higher chance of a crash?

Yep, the faster you go the more problems occur.
Higher speeds require more power. I started to notice much more traction issues and control problems.

ESCs get hot.
One run the ESC shut off leaving the car stranded in the middle of the road. (my fault for over gearing a 3s setup pushing for a record)

Last edited:
Back