Speed Runners ~ How Fast Did You Go Today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took Black Mamba out to open up the season. Trying to best my pb with the stock K8S electronics, also wanted to try out the new (channel speed) feature on my Noble nb4. No joy on the pb, only mustered 109mph with channel speed set at 5 sec. before amp limiting... then tried the standard method (all me) and managed 115mph. Not quite a pb but nice too knock the dust off one of my rigs and my nerves 😬

That is quite interesting. I wish that K8s ESC had data logs to compare the runs....
Nice job getting 115 mph. I have not see many people use the body. Is it driving stable for you?

Did 75 and then straight into the ditch... and then straight into the ditch and then straight into the ditch ... lol ended up losing part of my wing 🤷🏻‍♂️ Nothing else broke tho... surprisingly...
Gotta start somewhere! Sorry about the wing though.

That is quite interesting. I wish that K8s ESC had data logs to compare the runs....
Nice job getting 115 mph. I have not see many people use the body. Is it driving stable for you?
Logs would definitely be interesting.
The unbreakable body is decent, I’ve come to the conclusion that it definitely needs some kind of a wing tho. She gets kinda squirrelly if there’s any wind at all... I was having a hard time keeping it straight yesterday. 😬 I was running S3’s and a cross wind of about 5-7mph. Had a bunch of small crashes... That’s where the unbreakable body truly shines!! 👍

The unbreakable body is decent, I’ve come to the conclusion that it definitely needs some kind of a wing tho. She gets kinda squirrelly if there’s any wind at all... I was having a hard time keeping it straight yesterday. 😬 I was running S3’s and a cross wind of about 5-7mph. Had a bunch of small crashes... That’s where the unbreakable body truly shines!! 👍
Once you brush off the winter dust and get some good runs in, I'm super interested in seeing how the unbreakable does. Half of me says more weight + rough surface is more drag, the other half says car armor + possible golf-ball effect... Sounds like I need to discuss this with a local rocket scientist 🤔🤔

Cross winds are always a nasty beast when using a full bodied car. They effect my streamliners real bad also!

I think a rear wing is likely needed for it given the curved shape likely creates lift.
Maybe some simple drag racing style wing:

1619191645970.png

Sounds like me... crash crash crash crash crash... lol wind was a factor for sure and ... newb... that’s me .. lol

Sounds like me... crash crash crash crash crash... lol wind was a factor for sure and ... newb... that’s me .. lol
2 big things to learn.

1. Don't go out when the winds are over X mph. (for me that number is 7 mph unless I know for sure it will be a tail wind)
2. If the car didn't drive good on the slow test/warm up pass, pack it up, go home, and figure out what is wrong. Don't try to make that high speed pass. It will result in a bad crash 99% of the time.

👆👆 this all the way!! I'm the same way I won't run with winds over 5mph and also as @LibertyMKiii said if you do a warm up pass and something is off pack it up and save yourself a couple hundred $$

2 big things to learn.

1. Don't go out when the winds are over X mph. (for me that number is 7 mph unless I know for sure it will be a tail wind)
2. If the car didn't drive good on the slow test/warm up pass, pack it up, go home, and figure out what is wrong. Don't try to make that high speed pass. It will result in a bad crash 99% of the time.
The 4s passes were good. There were so many factors into why I was failing mostly just newb excitement. Too soon to pull the trigger... nervous about cars coming ... not sure what the wind was but it wasn’t constant it would come and go which is the worst.. after I slid off the road a few times on the 6s I was like ok, nothing is happening today .. packed it up. Never mind the fact I only had half a wing...🤣😂

The 4s passes were good. There were so many factors into why I was failing mostly just newb excitement. Too soon to pull the trigger... nervous about cars coming ... not sure what the wind was but it wasn’t constant it would come and go which is the worst.. after I slid off the road a few times on the 6s I was like ok, nothing is happening today .. packed it up. Never mind the fact I only had half a wing...🤣😂
That excitement and rush 💉 is what it is all about.
Glad you had that fun and didn't do too much damage! (y)

Yep I think patience is the biggest key to speed running. Which is hard as a mother f#cker 🤣 as you want to make that screaming pass and see a new PB. And just the fact how much of a rush and addicting it is. But I think I have been a exception to not have a single crash to date from 64mph to 137mph in just 3 months time, KNOCK ON WOOD! Just take your time and make sure everything feels right and prep, prep, prep!!

What does everyone do for diffs on speed runners? Lockers and spools?
I think locked diffs is best as you don't want to diff out at all, but also you can pretty much lock your diffs with silly putty or 20mil. I'm still debating the 20mil just because it's so thick and a pain to work with. But last pass at 137mph I'm running 500k front and rear. I think the surface you run on makes all the difference as to what you need to run, my high speed zone you could say(middle of my pass) is nice and smooth with really no cracks in the road or bumps to cause a diff out so I should be ok with 500k but there is still the chance the front picks up or wind blows one side up and would cause catastrophe. It's definitely a fine line to play with but like I said I think surface makes the world of difference.

What does everyone do for diffs on speed runners? Lockers and spools?
Seems like opinions go either way. Center spool for gearing, some run stock 10k weight, some boost it to 500k/1m, or "lock" it with silicone earplugs, some run front and rear spools.

IMO if you are going straight and have good traction on all 4 tires it won't diff out and thusly no energy will be lost. Others have different reasons for what they do.

I think locked diffs is best as you don't want to diff out at all, but also you can pretty much lock your diffs with silly putty or 20mil. I'm still debating the 20mil just because it's so thick and a pain to work with. But last pass at 137mph I'm running 500k front and rear. I think the surface you run on makes all the difference as to what you need to run, my high speed zone you could say(middle of my pass) is nice and smooth with really no cracks in the road or bumps to cause a diff out so I should be ok with 500k but there is still the chance the front picks up or wind blows one side up and would cause catastrophe. It's definitely a fine line to play with but like I said I think surface makes the world of difference.
Currently i emptied the diffs and shoved as much silicone ear plug in there as I could fit... the will still turn but it takes a lot of force.. the silicone ear plugs are so much easier to work with than the 20mil in my opinion ...

Hey, just wanna say thank you to all for any help and advice... it’s really cool to have a place where people don’t tell you to go learn yourself or “figure it out” 😂🤣 so thanks!

Once you brush off the winter dust and get some good runs in, I'm super interested in seeing how the unbreakable does. Half of me says more weight + rough surface is more drag, the other half says car armor + possible golf-ball effect... Sounds like I need to discuss this with a local rocket scientist 🤔🤔
The unbreakable body doesn’t feel much heavier, if any, than my delta gt body... Plus I like where you going with the golf ball effect. Curious to hear what the rocket scientist (Dad) says...? 🤔
Cross winds are always a nasty beast when using a full bodied car. They effect my streamliners real bad also!

I think a rear wing is likely needed for it given the curved shape likely creates lift.
Maybe some simple drag racing style wing:

View attachment 141335
It most definitely needs a wing! Now what kind is the question... I like your idea of a drag wing, hadn’t thought of that. Starting to think 118mph is all I’m going to get out of the K8S electronics. ☹️ Time to swap in the MMX8s and push the spectrum 1250kv to its limits. 😉

Ps: those cross winds are no joke! They were kill’n me at the end of last season too. 🤬

2 big things to learn.

Makes me really grateful that one side of my road is bordered by woods; it's a perfect wind block! And knowing when to stop is one of the hardest things for me😬

2 big things to learn.

Crashing makes for amazing video though. @jondilly1974 @phildogg and now even myself. Lot's of views from the masses when they know a crash is eminent. Give the people what they want!

Back