Spektrum DX5 Pro and full SMART telemetry - worth it? Alternatives? Compatibility?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiffLock

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Outcast EXB
  3. Talion EXB
With the second SMART-capable Arrma rig now in my collection, the prospect of 1 transmitter for both rigs becomes invreasingly tempting.
What's even more tempting is the capability of the DX5 Pro to program the ESC comfortably from the transmitter, and to provide real-time telemetry on crucial components: ESC temps, battery temps, voltages, complete with alarms when user-defined thresholds are reached. Yes, I could use a heat gun, but 1) that heat gun needs to be purchased as well, and 2) it doesn't give me real-time data while driving but only after driving.

On top of that there's better control, more range, lots of fancy customization options for both the transmitter and the rig, but it's really the real-time telemetry that lures me.
Drawback is, I'd be kinda locked into the Spektrum ecosystem, I suppose. Spektrum ESCs, Spektrum lipos. As of now that's not a big issue as I run Spektrum G1 and G2 exclusively, and both rigs are fitted with Spektrum SMART ESCs as well. But if I ever go for another manufacturer (like Hobbywing, or Castle) I'd probably lose access to all those nice SMART telemetry features. Then what?

Will the DX5 Pro just keep functioning albeit with the functionality of a standard transmitter? Like no more ESC programming and SMART stuff, but what about all those profiles and handling customization options?

I'm also wondering whether or not sticking to the Spektrum stuff might not be the worst thing to do if that gives me access to real-time telemetry? Sure, Hobbywing or Castle might go a bit faster, but I suppose I could still run their motors with a Spektrum SMART ESC, and from what I read the Hobbywing/Castle ESCs tend to have overheating issues as well.

Finally, is there a real alternative when it comes to real-time telemetry?
Futaba has some options, but honestly, sticking external sensors to various components and routing a ton of cables through the car seems slightly dated in 2023. Even more so as each sensor has to be purchased separately, on top of an already pretty expensive transmitter.

I guess what I'm ultimately asking is this:
Would going for an DX5 Pro and sticking to the Spektrum ecosystem actually offer more fun due to better monitoring data and thus better adaptation of the vehicles to their working environments, resulting in less problems when running them? Or is the gain by switching electronics to non-Spektrum stuff so large and overheating such an overinflated issue that telemetry is a mere gimmick?

Also, has the DX5 Pro to be considered "bad enough" in comparison to a Futaba T4PM (for example) to warrant the additional purchase of 2 receivers, pushing the price difference accordingly?

Sorry for the amount of questions, there's really a lot of stuff I don't know, especially when it comes to all things transmitters, receivers, and telemetry. :)

The only one who can make that decision is you.

A few notes though.
You will not get any better range with the DX5 Pro VS the stock Spektrum transmitter it will be the same.

The Spektrum Smart lipos are near the top of the price chart but near the bottom of the performance chart. There are numerous batteries available on the market that cost as much as half of what the Spektrum batteries do that offer much better performance.

I’ve only recently got back into RC and theres literally a billion things I don’t know so to keep things simple as i have 2 arrma rigs both with the stock spektrum electronics I just got the batteries as well. Basically it makes it idiot proof for me and it makes it really easy using the app for speeds temps etc. For people who actually know what they’re talking about I’m sure they’ll bee able to give you a lot of other better options but i’d say it depends what you’re looking to do and how much money you want to spend.

With the second SMART-capable Arrma rig now in my collection, the prospect of 1 transmitter for both rigs becomes invreasingly tempting.
What's even more tempting is the capability of the DX5 Pro to program the ESC comfortably from the transmitter, and to provide real-time telemetry on crucial components: ESC temps, battery temps, voltages, complete with alarms when user-defined thresholds are reached. Yes, I could use a heat gun, but 1) that heat gun needs to be purchased as well, and 2) it doesn't give me real-time data while driving but only after driving.

On top of that there's better control, more range, lots of fancy customization options for both the transmitter and the rig, but it's really the real-time telemetry that lures me.
Drawback is, I'd be kinda locked into the Spektrum ecosystem, I suppose. Spektrum ESCs, Spektrum lipos. As of now that's not a big issue as I run Spektrum G1 and G2 exclusively, and both rigs are fitted with Spektrum SMART ESCs as well. But if I ever go for another manufacturer (like Hobbywing, or Castle) I'd probably lose access to all those nice SMART telemetry features. Then what?

Will the DX5 Pro just keep functioning albeit with the functionality of a standard transmitter? Like no more ESC programming and SMART stuff, but what about all those profiles and handling customization options?

I'm also wondering whether or not sticking to the Spektrum stuff might not be the worst thing to do if that gives me access to real-time telemetry? Sure, Hobbywing or Castle might go a bit faster, but I suppose I could still run their motors with a Spektrum SMART ESC, and from what I read the Hobbywing/Castle ESCs tend to have overheating issues as well.

Finally, is there a real alternative when it comes to real-time telemetry?
Futaba has some options, but honestly, sticking external sensors to various components and routing a ton of cables through the car seems slightly dated in 2023. Even more so as each sensor has to be purchased separately, on top of an already pretty expensive transmitter.

I guess what I'm ultimately asking is this:
Would going for an DX5 Pro and sticking to the Spektrum ecosystem actually offer more fun due to better monitoring data and thus better adaptation of the vehicles to their working environments, resulting in less problems when running them? Or is the gain by switching electronics to non-Spektrum stuff so large and overheating such an overinflated issue that telemetry is a mere gimmick?

Also, has the DX5 Pro to be considered "bad enough" in comparison to a Futaba T4PM (for example) to warrant the additional purchase of 2 receivers, pushing the price difference accordingly?

Sorry for the amount of questions, there's really a lot of stuff I don't know, especially when it comes to all things transmitters, receivers, and telemetry. :)
I don't use spektrum motors or esc's but I can tell you the DX5 pro has been a great controller for me with the speed runs or just bashing. It's nice to have only one controller for all my cars.

A few notes though.
You will not get any better range with the DX5 Pro VS the stock Spektrum transmitter it will be the same.

The Spektrum Smart lipos are near the top of the price chart but near the bottom of the performance chart. There are numerous batteries available on the market that cost as much as half of what the Spektrum batteries do that offer much better performance.
I'm aware of that. Granted, I wasn't at the time of purchasing my Spektrum batteries, but I did do my homework in the meantime. Nonetheless, I've purchased a number of SMART lipos both 3S and 6S already, so I'd better make the most out of it.

Moreover, from the numbers I've seen so far, there are differences indeed, but it's like 1-2 mph or slightly higher voltages under load, with the biggest differences occuring in dynamic load scenarios, leading to a more "snappy" feel of those lipos under racing conditions. I'm not sure how much of a difference I'd notice in my purely leisurely use of my rigs, and given my overall lack of experience. :)

The only one who can make that decision is you.
I agree.
Problem is, I don't have enough information, and research on RC car telemetry systems leads down into a labyrinth of confusing informations. There are numerous transmitters that offer support for telemetry, and there also seem to be some support for real-time data by Castle Creations, for example. Yet, it seems their telemetry stuff is rather... unyieldy. But again, I really have no idea what's available and how easy to operate or how reliable that stuff is.

I guess I need to reformulate my intial quesiton. :)

Are there other telemetry systems available, that offer:
  • real-time readout for ESC and battery stats (temp, voltage)
  • alerts on reaching/crossing defined thresholds directly at the transmitter (no app required)
  • direct access at ESC programming from the transmitter
If so, what would be required to run these systems properly for my 2 cars?

With the DX5 Pro, I'd be looking at an investment of about 300 bucks. Obviously, I have all the SMART stuff already, and Spektrum did their job making their ecosystem look most attractive. Question is, how much more expensive are the alternatives, and what do the bring to table the Spektrum system cannot offer (apart from not being Spektrum branded)?

Not talking about price here. It really is about having more information so I can make an informed decision. :)

I'm aware of that. Granted, I wasn't at the time of purchasing my Spektrum batteries, but I did do my homework in the meantime. Nonetheless, I've purchased a number of SMART lipos both 3S and 6S already, so I'd better make the most out of it.

Moreover, from the numbers I've seen so far, there are differences indeed, but it's like 1-2 mph or slightly higher voltages under load, with the biggest differences occuring in dynamic load scenarios, leading to a more "snappy" feel of those lipos under racing conditions. I'm not sure how much of a difference I'd notice in my purely leisurely use of my rigs, and given my overall lack of experience. :)

I agree.
Problem is, I don't have enough information, and research on RC car telemetry systems leads down into a labyrinth of confusing informations. There are numerous transmitters that offer support for telemetry, and there also seem to be some support for real-time data by Castle Creations, for example. Yet, it seems their telemetry stuff is rather... unyieldy. But again, I really have no idea what's available and how easy to operate or how reliable that stuff is.

I guess I need to reformulate my intial quesiton. :)

Are there other telemetry systems available, that offer:
  • real-time readout for ESC and battery stats (temp, voltage)
  • alerts on reaching/crossing defined thresholds directly at the transmitter (no app required)
  • direct access at ESC programming from the transmitter
If so, what would be required to run these systems properly for my 2 cars?

With the DX5 Pro, I'd be looking at an investment of about 300 bucks. Obviously, I have all the SMART stuff already, and Spektrum did their job making their ecosystem look most attractive. Question is, how much more expensive are the alternatives, and what do the bring to table the Spektrum system cannot offer (apart from not being Spektrum branded)?

Not talking about price here. It really is about having more information so I can make an informed decision. :)

I have one car that has telemetry in it and I don't even pay attention to any of the telemetry stuff because I am more focused on my car than my remote. I might glance at the voltage from time to time. Imho it isn't worth your time adding it to a car that doesn't already have it.

I agree with Slick…..telemetry is something you won’t really pay too much attention to when you’re running. And unless I’m missing something, ESC programming can’t be done from the remote……punch, timing, LVC, etc has to be set at the ESC itself by using the set button or a program card.

I may be wrong so please correct me if I am.

That being said, I do think the DX5 is leaps and bounds better than the DX3. I have two DX5 ruggeds that are awesome. The ability to run multiple RC,s and set certain parameters (exponential for example) is a huge plus. I’ve got 10 rigs and two remotes to run them…….awesome.
If you like monitoring voltage, attach a lipo alarm in your rigs……I have them in all of mine. A simple drive by will allow you to have a peek at the alarm to see where you battery voltage is.

DA70ACD3-0736-489C-81B0-152AF3EDA851.jpeg

cheers,
kev

Last edited:
I agree with Slick…..telemetry is something you won’t really pay too much attention to when you’re running. And unless I’m missing something, ESC programming can’t be done from the remote……punch, timing, LVC, etc has to be set at the ESC itself by using the set button or a program card.

It seems the DX5 Pro can do ESC programming directly from the remote. Which is one of the reasons I'm considering it, as I find that a much more attractive option than counting beeps or plugging in cables. :)

See here in the manual, page 17: DX5 Pro manual

It seems the DX5 Pro can do ESC programming directly from the remote. Which is one of the reasons I'm considering it, as I find that a much more attractive option than counting beeps or plugging in cables. :)

See here in the manual, page 17: DX5 Pro manual
That is awesome.

That being said, I do think the DX5 is leaps and bounds better than the DX3. I have two DX5 ruggeds that are awesome. The ability to run multiple RC,s and set certain parameters (exponential for example) is a huge plus. I’ve got 10 rigs and two remotes to run them…….awesome.
If you like monitoring voltage, attach a lipo alarm in your rigs……I have them in all of mine. A simple drive by will allow you to have a peek at the alarm to see where you battery voltage is.

View attachment 293375

cheers,
kev
don't all ESCs have voltage cutoffs? Is the battery alarm just to see how much time you have left for curiosity?

I’ve only recently got back into RC and theres literally a billion things I don’t know so to keep things simple as i have 2 arrma rigs both with the stock spektrum electronics I just got the batteries as well. Basically it makes it idiot proof for me and it makes it really easy using the app for speeds temps etc. For people who actually know what they’re talking about I’m sure they’ll bee able to give you a lot of other better options but i’d say it depends what you’re looking to do and how much money you want to spend.
I think you are ready to jump all in and get a "real" radio.
You seem to describe and assume the Spektrum gear as a crutch, feeling safer and in your security Zone there. A false sense of security no doubt.
Afraid to embrace the best RC tech that is offered. Stay away from any of the Spektrum stuff if you can help it. It is not truly set and forget, or that much more simple or safer to use. All while emptying your wallet. I have the DX5C, Regret buying it and buying the several $Rx's$ for it. Spektrum AVC is tempermental... as well.
I also have a RC6GS ( best range, mostly for Speed running) and my Noble NB4 as well now. Both radios are great. RC6GS is only $80. The Noble is aprox $200.00 + give or take, depending where you buy.
I run 19 models in all, across these 3 radios. DX5C is far from my favorite. DX5 Pro or the Rugged are pretty much all the same. Same Raceware Interface. Makes no sense to buy a Spektrum IMHO. Better choices out there. You are not looking or researching hard enough.

Last edited:
don't all ESCs have voltage cutoffs? Is the battery alarm just to see how much time you have left for curiosity?
I never trust the ESC LVC.
I learned early on that LVC settings on ESC,s can be hit and miss…..for instance, Ive set LVC to intermediate only to have it run my lipos down to 3.30…..which is to low for my liking. It can vary from ESC to ESC…don't ask me why.

I rely on my lipo alarms (gorilla taped to chassis) to monitor voltage. I do turn the alarm off because it can go off under high load, and that’s annoying. I just do drive by’s when I think I’m getting low ( I install the alarm so it’s visible under the body).

This is my method and some may scoff at it but it works for me. I never run my lipos past 3.50 volts per cell.

I run futaba with telemetry on all my rigs, and it works great. I get voltage, amp draw, motor temperature, motor RPM, ripple, etc.

And Futaba has great range for speed running. 1200+ feet without mods.

I think you are ready to jump all in and get a "real" radio.
You seem to describe and assume the Spektrum gear as a crutch, feeling safer and in your security Zone there. A false sense of security no doubt.
Afraid to embrace the best RC tech that is offered. Stay away from any of the Spektrum stuff if you can help it. It is not truly set and forget, or that much more simple or safer to use. All while emptying your wallet. I have the DX5C, Regret buying it and buying the several $Rx's$ for it. Spektrum AVC is tempermental... as well.
I also have a RC6GS ( best range, mostly for Speed running) and my Noble NB4 as well now. Both radios are great. RC6GS is only $80. The Noble is aprox $200.00 + give or take, depending where you buy.
I run 19 models in all, across these 3 radios. DX5C is far from my favorite. DX5 Pro or the Rugged are pretty much all the same. Same Raceware Interface. Makes no sense to buy a Spektrum IMHO. Better choices out there. You are not looking or researching hard enough.
I haven’t looked or researched at all, as I said I’ve only really just got back in al this recently so I don’t care about having the absolute best of everything right now I just want to have fun and keep it simple.
If one day I get into it and know as much as someone like yourself then I’ll take a different approach but for now this suits me just fine

My point is that you are just wasting coin on a subpar product. And short changing your RC experience, now, and in the long term.
Much Better options available for even less $$. And I'm not necessarily speaking of the best $High$ end stuff at all. All while future proofing your RC investment.
Having fun is the most important thing.
To each his own.
With info. in hand, the choice is now yours.
Enjoy.:cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back