Spektrum S2100 Charger fan makes weird sound at start up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me explain it like this. If you buy some thing at a place like target or Best Buy for example and go home use the product and in three days discover there is a problem you will go back there give them the product back and either return it or exchange it for the same one. The thing that annoys me about Horrizon Hobby is that I have to go through the same hoops sending it in waiting two weeks to get it back on something I just bought three days ago. Obviously I would give them back the defective one and they could hold my credit card to make sure I do so. Similar to what Amazon does in a similar situation. At the end of the day I’m not going to play their games. My alternative method is to go on Amazon purchase it from Horrizon Hobby and when it gets delivered I will return my old one through Amazon and get my money back. I guess if that’s the game I have to play I will do so. Amazon will always have your back that’s the biggest difference.

Let me explain it like this so you can understand. What you are describing is the basic return policy that every retailer has, you give them broken item, they give you a new one. Go to Target buy a TV then 3 days later go back to Target without the TV tell them that the TV stopped working and that you want a new TV as a replacement. Guess what they are going to make you bring in the old TV before they give you a new one. Same thing at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, JC-Penny whatever. You are laying blame on Horizon because you are impatient and can't wait 5 days, still not sure where you got 2 weeks from.

I've been buying items online for well over 20 years now, and every time I have had to return a faulty product the process has always been the same. Obtain return merchandise authorization, send item in with RMA paperwork, wait for them to receive and inspect. Once approved they will send your repaired or new item.

I'm done with this thread.

Last edited:
Let me explain it like this so you can understand. What you are describing is the basic return policy that every retailer has, you give them broken item, they give you a new one. Go to Target buy a TV then 3 days later go back to Target without the TV tell them that the TV stopped working and that you want a new TV as a replacement. Guess what they are going to make you bring in the old TV before they give you a new one. Same thing at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, JC-Penny whatever. You are laying blame on Horizon because you are impatient and can't wait 5 days, still not sure where you got 2 weeks from.

I've been buying items online for well over 20 years now, and every time I have had to return a faulty product the process has always been the same. Obtain return merchandise authorization, send item in with RMA paperwork, wait for them to receive and inspect. Once approved they will send your repaired or new item.

I'm done with this thread.
As far as two weeks go if you read the fine print they say turnaround is five BUSINESS days which is a week. Then 3 days for them to receive and about 3 shipping days to get it back to me. That’s where I come up with two weeks. Obviously I realize that I need to send them the product back, I’m well aware of it. What I am suggesting is because I just bought the item that they should hold a credit card deposit send me a new one and I will send them my old one. Once again if I’ve owned this charger for several months I would be more accepting of this policy. My opinion is if they were to do their due diligence I wouldn’t have had a faulty charger to begin with. That’s on them not me. As you can tell from prior posts I am definitely not the only one who has this issue meaning this is not a one off problem this is a Quality control issue.

As far as two weeks go if you read the fine print they say turnaround is five BUSINESS days which is a week. Then 3 days for them to receive and about 3 shipping days to get it back to me. That’s where I come up with two weeks. Obviously I realize that I need to send them the product back, I’m well aware of it. What I am suggesting is because I just bought the item that they should hold a credit card deposit send me a new one and I will send them my old one. Once again if I’ve owned this charger for several months I would be more accepting of this policy. My opinion is if they were to do their due diligence I wouldn’t have had a faulty charger to begin with. That’s on them not me. As you can tell from prior posts I am definitely not the only one who has this issue meaning this is not a one off problem this is a Quality control issue.

You are not alone I posted about the two chargers one good and the other with noise. However, you are preaching to the choir we all are with ya.

If it is not a screw, nut, both, pinion, or something simple don't care if it is a charger or a new RC, you will have to send it back to HH 1 day or 2 weeks or whatever, to get the replacement. It's their policy no changing that there will be no credit they will give you to send out another on a high-value item. Rare, not saying they cannot send a motor or ESC...but rare in most all cases they want it returned. I hate it as well as others but we all have sent in the charger, RC, ESC, etc. but you know it will be replaced.

We are with you...but just go ahead email them and get the RMA started this way you can get to a better charger sooner than later :)

Good luck friend!
@basher27 Update...

UPDATE:

I looked at the two S2100 just now

Notice the older S2100 does not send as much power to the fans on startup....just listening to it. The replacement or newer has more power on startup.

Now just using my ear I could be off but they seem to send the power differently to the fans where the older sounds like it sends less because the fan air force is very soft.

I did take a can of compressed air and blew the fans on the newer unit. On 3x starts, I did not get the loud noise but it was still a more powerful startup no fan noise. It may come back I will try it later again....I do know the fan on the newer never runs as hard as it does from what it does when it starts up....hard air push. Hey, it could be a fan bearing as someone said.

Just sharing all this could mean nothing. I'm a year in will live with it but send yours in :)

Last edited:
You are not alone I posted about the two chargers one good and the other with noise. However, you are preaching to the choir we all are with ya.

If it is not a screw, nut, both, pinion, or something simple don't care if it is a charger or a new RC, you will have to send it back to HH 1 day or 2 weeks or whatever, to get the replacement. It's their policy no changing that there will be no credit they will give you to send out another on a high-value item. Rare, not saying they cannot send a motor or ESC...but rare in most all cases they want it returned. I hate it as well as others but we all have sent in the charger, RC, ESC, etc. but you know it will be replaced.

We are with you...but just go ahead email them and get the RMA started this way you can get to a better charger sooner than later :)

Good luck friend!
@basher27 Update...

UPDATE:

I looked at the two S2100 just now

Notice the older S2100 does not send as much power to the fans on startup....just listening to it. The replacement or newer has more power on startup.

Now just using my ear I could be off but they seem to send the power differently to the fans where the older sounds like it sends less because the fan air force is very soft.

I did take a can of compressed air and blew the fans on the newer unit. On 3x starts, I did not get the loud noise but it was still a more powerful startup no fan noise. It may come back I will try it later again....I do know the fan on the newer never runs as hard as it does from what it does when it starts up....hard air push. Hey, it could be a fan bearing as someone said.

Just sharing all this could mean nothing. I'm a year in will live with it but send yours in :)
Good observation on the two different fans. Interesting. On your newer charger with the fan toys happen every time it was started or hit and miss?

Good observation on the two different fans. Interesting. On your newer charger with the fan toys happen every time it was started or hit and miss?
It's not the best video.

First fan is older see if you can tell starts up quiet and softer. It's might still be tough to tell from this video vs in person.

Last one is the new one has not made the same noise you hear since I blew out the fan but still starts up harder.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RPKLq2XnRQ2XjniJ8

It's not the best video.

First fan is older see if you can tell starts up quiet and softer. It's might still be tough to tell from this video vs in person.

Last one is the new one has not made the same noise you hear since I blew out the fan but still starts up harder.

Yeah I can definitely hear the difference between the first and second. Second one was quite a bit louder. I did not hear a weird fan sound like I heard on mine. I assume it does not do it every time just every now and then?

Yeah I can definitely hear the difference between the first and second. Second one was quite a bit louder. I did not hear a weird fan sound like I heard on mine. I assume it does not do it every time just every now and then?
It's not the best video.

When you get a chance would you mind checking to see what firmware update you are running on your newest charger? Just curious if it’s the same as mine

When you get a chance would you mind checking to see what firmware update you are running on your newest charger? Just curious if it’s the same as mine

The newest one did make the noise I just blew the fans for the first time after posting to your messages and just giving it a try. I am surprised it stopped making it on startup...just testing it now it is back so if I made a new vide it sounds exactly like yours...again only on startup.

Both are on the latest firmware for the G2 although I only charge non-smart batteries no smart batteries unless I am desperate. I like the look of the newer screen display since it shows a battery image and I can visually see when it fills to 100%. Both are on the latest FW.

The noise was still present before and after the update....made no change.

UPDATE:

It is fan-bearing. I stopped one on startup and the other was quiet. I will live with it since it does not do that in charge or discharge and if it gets that bad I will open and find that similar fan.

The newest one did make the noise I just blew the fans for the first time after posting to your messages and just giving it a try. I am surprised it stopped making it on startup...just testing it now it is back so if I made a new vide it sounds exactly like yours...again only on startup.

Both are on the latest firmware for the G2 although I only charge non-smart batteries no smart batteries unless I am desperate. I like the look of the newer screen display since it shows a battery image and I can visually see when it fills to 100%. Both are on the latest FW.

The noise was still present before and after the update....made no change.

UPDATE:

It is fan-bearing. I stopped one on startup and the other was quiet. I will live with it since it does not do that in charge or discharge and if it gets that bad I will open and find that similar fan.
Out of curiosity how do you know it’s the fan bearing and not the motor?

Out of curiosity how do you know it’s the fan bearing and not the motor?
Just over time and as an IT Engineer it has the sound and all the makings of a common bad fan, bearing, etc that has to do with a fan. I am open to being wrong but all the blade servers, PC, technical devices that have fans...I can barely count on one hand if I can it was the motor.

But we will always leave room for correction :)

Just over time and as an IT Engineer it has the sound and all the makings of a common bad fan, bearing, etc that has to do with a fan. I am open to being wrong but all the blade servers, PC, technical devices that have fans...I can barely count on one hand if I can it was the motor.

But we will always leave room for correction :)
I am with you on that, definitely something with the fan it is so weird how is only at start up every now and then not every start up but during usage not a problem

I have the same charger and it has maked the same noise on start up since new. Its only been used a dozen times, always inside.

I stopped at the place I bought it (Hobby Town) and they showed me their S2100. It was a little louder on start up but not as loud as mine. I might take mine in for comparison.

I am with you on that, definitely something with the fan it is so weird how is only at start up every now and then not every start up but during usage not a problem
My Man...

I was content with my S2100 charger until you came along....saying this in a positive way :) Did some bashing this week and although I ignored it just kept getting to me now while I was charging batteries. So I said the hell with it I have two chargers let me see what HH will do. Now I do understand in your case it is time lost and being without one to send it back it. Have not forgotten but wanted to share my HH experience.

My timing is going to be a little faster since I have a FedEx account with the job. Yesterday, I filled out the HH service form for a user linked in this thread and FedEx the S2100 on Thur. They got it today on Friday got the email it was received this morning. The form explained the same issue we've posted about, nosy startup, nosy when it begins the charge, and then smooths out and no noise once in usage. Asked if they could replace the fans one or both have a bad bearing. This S2100 is a replacement for my original purchase in Fed 2020. They sent a new one on 4/17/21 which is the newer of the two I have. Since I am out of warranty on the original, the one file I could send was the one they sent me on 4/17/21 for the replacement. This was their reply back in the email and attachment they sent with the new replacement S2100 in the afternoon, today.

I added my own return label not paying their return cost will have it Sat or Mon. The point they did not question the issue and I would have been happy with fan replacements. I hope this one is better. If you have not shipped yours, do so seems they know it is an issue.

1647649348376.png

My Man...

I was content with my S2100 charger until you came along....saying this in a positive way :) Did some bashing this week and although I ignored it just kept getting to me now while I was charging batteries. So I said the hell with it I have two chargers let me see what HH will do. Now I do understand in your case it is time lost and being without one to send it back it. Have not forgotten but wanted to share my HH experience.

My timing is going to be a little faster since I have a FedEx account with the job. Yesterday, I filled out the HH service form for a user linked in this thread and FedEx the S2100 on Thur. They got it today on Friday got the email it was received this morning. The form explained the same issue we've posted about, nosy startup, nosy when it begins the charge, and then smooths out and no noise once in usage. Asked if they could replace the fans one or both have a bad bearing. This S2100 is a replacement for my original purchase in Fed 2020. They sent a new one on 4/17/21 which is the newer of the two I have. Since I am out of warranty on the original, the one file I could send was the one they sent me on 4/17/21 for the replacement. This was their reply back in the email and attachment they sent with the new replacement S2100 in the afternoon, today.

I added my own return label not paying their return cost will have it Sat or Mon. The point they did not question the issue and I would have been happy with fan replacements. I hope this one is better. If you have not shipped yours, do so seems they know it is an issue.

View attachment 207182
So things keep getting more and more confusing. I ordered another S2100 from Amazon thinking I’ll keep the better of the 2. and return the worse of the two. After a couple days the second or (newer) charger started making the same noise on startup. This leads me to believe that this is normal and there must not be a fix for it. Both chargers worked perfect for several days and then after that one out of every five times it gets plugged in I hear the noisy fan.

So things keep getting more and more confusing. I ordered another S2100 from Amazon thinking I’ll keep the better of the 2. and return the worse of the two. After a couple days the second or (newer) charger started making the same noise on startup. This leads me to believe that this is normal and there must not be a fix for it. Both chargers worked perfect for several days and then after that one out of every five times it gets plugged in I hear the noisy fan.

I "feel" it is a hit or miss with bad fans. Does it work or did mine work...no issues was spot on. The one coming back it is has an issue I will keep and live with it as I planned to do you inspired me to try :)

If either of them makes noise, I will replace the fans myself. In your case with new, warranty swap the one you have, return the other new one maybe go with a different brand. Personally, I like how the charger works so I will stay with it.

So far good on the replacement S2100

I'd just pull it apart and put in new fans. Doesn't require me going outside and dealing with shipping stuff back. lol!

I still have an old hitec D7 in the closet that seemed to stop balancing well. I took it apart, bypassed the charger to use it as a PSU for a DC charger to get me by for a while. I wired in my own fan to the USB plug's power because otherwise, it didn't run a fan to cool the PSU because that was handled via the circuitry for the charger portion.

Before I did that, I contacted hitec and they said I could send it in to see if it could be repaired... on my dime to and from them. Considering the size/weight of the thing and what shipping would cost, I decided to just go with a couple good DC chargers and built a PSU for $50 to run them. Now if the charger goes bad or PSU goes bad, I can replace them individually.

Basher how did you come out with the new S2100 charger?

Update on this post from a few months back. I stated HH sent me a new one. I also determined that they are using bad fans and the noise is only from the fan. Also from my experience only happens on the newer manufactured models. One purchased in 2020 is solid to date but at the end of 2021 and 2022 at some point the fan makes that noise on powering up...cheap fans and this on two HH replacement 2021-22.

This week the new one they sent to me in April made the noise for the first time....WTH. I was not calling HH any more so I opened it up. Easy to open and fans and board connections have easy connections to release. Very easy to service if needed.

I put a drop of SuperLube in the center of the fan hidden behind the sticker. Worked it in let it sits for some hours and tested. Instantly on power test it is as quiet as the 2020 S2100 charger. I do not know where they are getting these cheap 40mm fans but I see I can easily replace them if the lube fails for better fans. So far a few days later it's still runs quiet when the fans power up and the sound is totally different almost the same as the 2020 S2100 charger.

Really like the charger although I do not charge Spekturm batteries all non-smart batteries...menu and fuctions are easy to use and newer firmware display change is nice.

1656655406248.png
1656655416745.png

Hi,
I purchased this charger in May 2023 from a local model shop in Brisbane, Australia. I didn't use it much due to extended holidays and poor, non-flying weather. It started making the fan noise after a few month of use. I took it to the shop yesterday and had to endure all the nonsense talk about the warranty not being 1 year, my floor being too dusty etc etc. Eventually they took it and waiting for the response.

The fan noise is not normal. It is just a cheap fan on its way out.

Last edited:
Spectrum agent offered a refund in the form of a store credit. According to the agent, the S2100 has been discontinued and replaced by the S2200. The only trick is, it costs nearly double the price of the S2100. Hmm...

Back