Big Rock Spur Gears keep getting eaten up, need help figuring out why

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As stated earlier in this thread my slipper doesn't stay tight if I set it any less than a hair from fully tight. So what would you recommend I do since you think the spurs are getting torn up due to the slipper being too tight? Should I just stop driving the car every 5-10 minutes when the slipper comes loose and call it a day? The whole slipper assembly is basically brand new it has like 3-4 batteries through it. Everybody seems to be able to tell me they think I'm wrong but can't tell me why my ARRMA TOUGH vehicle isn't so arrma tough. I literally tore the whole thing apart last night to install the Jimsbearings kit and found nothing. The motor mount isn't bent, I found nothing. Some of you are ARRMA fanboys and I am beginning to hate this brand. Contacted support and they told me to send them my torn up spur gear in order to get a replacement. I told them I would happily send all 7 of my torn up gears if they paid shipping, but of course they wont. Somebody take this POS of my hands
This is unfortunate, and I'm sorry to hear you are having a recurring problem/losing faith in Arrma. It sounds to me that the slipper being too tight is what is causing your issue. I think you have ruled out bearing play from what you have said. As stated before, a tiny dab of threadlock on the tension screw for the slipper should solve your problem, I would use blue so that it doesn't set up so hard that it's a PITA get back apart when time to change pads.

Maybe grab a whole slipper assembly from JRC and toss it in there. It would rule out the clutch being the issue with a complete oem assembly. Are you running in Sandy areas and getting grit in there? I slotted all my chassis's under the spur to let the sand and such out, and had great success with it. I'm taken aback since I now have a mega fully converted to a blx, then swapped motor to a 3670 and changed to a lwb chassis, and a stock granite box and neither have had problems, short of the slipper coming loose here and there. That seems to happen when I end up in wet stuff, so I'm guessing the water lets the blue locktite go.

As stated earlier in this thread my slipper doesn't stay tight if I set it any less than a hair from fully tight. So what would you recommend I do since you think the spurs are getting torn up due to the slipper being too tight? Should I just stop driving the car every 5-10 minutes when the slipper comes loose and call it a day? The whole slipper assembly is basically brand new it has like 3-4 batteries through it. Everybody seems to be able to tell me they think I'm wrong but can't tell me why my ARRMA TOUGH vehicle isn't so arrma tough. I literally tore the whole thing apart last night to install the Jimsbearings kit and found nothing. The motor mount isn't bent, I found nothing. Some of you are ARRMA fanboys and I am beginning to hate this brand. Contacted support and they told me to send them my torn up spur gear in order to get a replacement. I told them I would happily send all 7 of my torn up gears if they paid shipping, but of course they wont. Somebody take this POS of my hands
And this is the truck you have listed for sale, lol. Good. Luck.

And this is the truck you have listed for sale, lol. Good. Luck.
I feel its better to be honest about the problems the truck is having rather than to have an angry customer after they receive the truck. If I am wrong for that, so be it. I could easily have not posted anything about the problems I was having with the truck on this forum, or simply made a new account to talk about the problems it has. Thanks for the good luck wishes (;
It doesn't sound like it's the same truck as the one in the for sale section. That one is listed as being in perfect running condition.
This is the same truck, and it is in perfect running condition, it just doesn't stay that way for very long it seems. Like I said before it seems to shred the gear regularly every 3-5 batteries and that is what really stumps me. It doesn't make any sense to me that it would happen at a regular interval.
Maybe grab a whole slipper assembly from JRC and toss it in there. It would rule out the clutch being the issue with a complete oem assembly. Are you running in Sandy areas and getting grit in there? I slotted all my chassis's under the spur to let the sand and such out, and had great success with it. I'm taken aback since I now have a mega fully converted to a blx, then swapped motor to a 3670 and changed to a lwb chassis, and a stock granite box and neither have had problems, short of the slipper coming loose here and there. That seems to happen when I end up in wet stuff, so I'm guessing the water lets the blue locktite go.
I was thinking about that but I'm not sure because I've spent so much money on the truck already I could have bought that XDS i've had my eye on. If I can sell it for a reasonable price(seeing that the truck has very few runs on it and only has the spur problem) I will be saying goodbye to arrma and buying ammo with whatever I am able to get for it. Most everybody on here has been helpful, or at least tried to be, so thank you for that. I don't drive in sandy areas but in certain areas where I drive the dirt is very loose and it gets very dusty. But I would not consider it sandy.
With everything said what does everyone on here think it is worth? I mean an actual fair price for buyer and seller? The truck by itself RTR with a brand new spur?

I feel its better to be honest about the problems the truck is having rather than to have an angry customer after they receive the truck. If I am wrong for that, so be it. I could easily have not posted anything about the problems I was having with the truck on this forum, or simply made a new account to talk about the problems it has. Thanks for the good luck wishes (;

This is the same truck, and it is in perfect running condition, it just doesn't stay that way for very long it seems. Like I said before it seems to shred the gear regularly every 3-5 batteries and that is what really stumps me. It doesn't make any sense to me that it would happen at a regular interval.

I was thinking about that but I'm not sure because I've spent so much money on the truck already I could have bought that XDS i've had my eye on. If I can sell it for a reasonable price(seeing that the truck has very few runs on it and only has the spur problem) I will be saying goodbye to arrma and buying ammo with whatever I am able to get for it. Most everybody on here has been helpful, or at least tried to be, so thank you for that. I don't drive in sandy areas but in certain areas where I drive the dirt is very loose and it gets very dusty. But I would not consider it sandy.
With everything said what does everyone on here think it is worth? I mean an actual fair price for buyer and seller? The truck by itself RTR with a brand new spur?
Well I can all but guarantee that you'll love that XDS when you get it, and you will need all the cash you can get to feed it! They are too fun to shoot.
It's hard to say what the truck is worth. They are so reasonably priced new it's hard to justify used. Especially because the warranty is gone after is changes hands. I had a chance at a v3 Kraton it good shape with a 6s and a 4s battery (used), straight chassis, no aftermarket stuff - 250 bucks. I passed due to unknowns and lack of warranty and watched the guy repost for a month before he finally sold it. Well, I assume sold it. If everyone is as cheap as me, you'd be hard pressed to get 200 shipped with the added parts and pieces included. I'm not trying to be a downer, just my thoughts on it.

You probably just need to change the slipper spring and whatever locknut holds it in place (sorry I can’t remember how these things are assembled). The stock spring was probably over tightened and deformed.

I saw your ad, personally I sold a Granite 4x4 BLX for $265 so I’d guess yours is worth $250-300 max.

You probably just need to change the slipper spring and whatever locknut holds it in place (sorry I can’t remember how these things are assembled). The stock spring was probably over tightened and deformed.

I saw your ad, personally I sold a Granite 4x4 BLX for $265 so I’d guess yours is worth $250-300 max.
Thank you, now this makes sense and just might be the problem! I had a slipper hub crack because it was too tight so the spring may very well be the problem. Thanks again I will look into it. Do you know if I can buy the spring by itself or if I would have to buy the slipper clutch maintenance set?

It looks like it's part of a kit, part number ar310882. Unfortunately it's on backorder. Man, I would really like to see an "ah-ha" moment here and get your rig fixed. Maybe check the clutch and make sure the parts are all installed right?

Burned up my first spur from being too tight. Smoking and all. Removed the old assembly tossed in the new one. I removed the screw and added some blue loctite. Tightened it to tight then backed off a full turn let it sit for a day to cure. This was in November. I run this truck 3/4 days a week multiple packs it’s still perfect. Hope you get it sorted slipper clutches can be tricky.

Thank you, now this makes sense and just might be the problem! I had a slipper hub crack because it was too tight so the spring may very well be the problem. Thanks again I will look into it. Do you know if I can buy the spring by itself or if I would have to buy the slipper clutch maintenance set?
When you replaced the slipped hub did you by chance replace the bearing that goes in between the two hub pieces? There's a bearing that goes there.
20190428_231809.jpg

every radio controlled vehicle breaks. what problem you have isnt common. if it was than nobody would buy the truck.

When you replaced the slipped hub did you by chance replace the bearing that goes in between the two hub pieces? There's a bearing that goes there.View attachment 36819
I totally forgot to change that bearing. I just pulled the slipper apart and changed it, but the old bearing seemed fine. I am hoping this is what was causing my problem. Thanks for the tip

Well I ended up putting locktight on the slipper screw and I think it may have solved my problems. I put 2 batteries through it today with no problems! The slipper never came loose which had been happening on every run so I am pretty darn happy right now. It's a nice change!! Thanks everybody for the help!

I have been up grading a Senton mega and found the new Castle sidewinder 4 esc / motor combo. The motor has The three 3mm alien head bolts that hold the lower mounting/bearing plate are stripped out , This allowed it to strip the spur 48p 91t gear. It is bolting up to a HR adjustable motor plate,

Attachments

• IMG_20190501_101334154.jpg
    IMG_20190501_101334154.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20190501_101246635.jpg
    IMG_20190501_101246635.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 35
Well, about 5 mins into my 5th battery since I replaced the spur gear I believe it was chewed up yet again. I'm about to take it apart to confirm but I heard the noise it made and it was very similar to the noise of a spur gear being chewed up. It's so weird, no problems on huge jumps which should break the truck but when I decide I want to go fast in a straight line the spur gear gets eaten up. I guess no speed runs for me.
Yup, another spur gear has been shredded...

Last edited:
Well, about 5 mins into my 5th battery since I replaced the spur gear I believe it was chewed up yet again. I'm about to take it apart to confirm but I heard the noise it made and it was very similar to the noise of a spur gear being chewed up. It's so weird, no problems on huge jumps which should break the truck but when I decide I want to go fast in a straight line the spur gear gets eaten up. I guess no speed runs for me.
Yup, another spur gear has been shredded...
There is something going on and I wish I could help. It's not normal. I've had 2 3s trucks since September and I haven't damaged a spur yet. One of them is running a BLX185 system. No way you should be chewing up spurs.

[
There is something going on and I wish I could help. It's not normal. I've had 2 3s trucks since September and I haven't damaged a spur yet. One of them is running a BLX185 system. No way you should be chewing up spurs.
Yeah, I really need to figure out the problem. I think I will order a whole new slipper assembly from JRC when they are in stock. Or maybe I will borrow the slipper from one of the new 4s trucks that I have on the way. Either way it did seem to be doing better with the locktight and gorilla tape over the part where the gear is exposed. I did see that the spur gear had cut a hole in the tape so I think next time I will put a few layers of tape, that's all I can think of. There wasn't any sand in the power module that I could see, but then again it was filled with powdered plastic from the spur gear. Any advice/tips would be appreciated.
The only other thing I can think of is maybe the heat is causing something to change/move when it shouldn't. I was on my second battery today when this happened and had no problems or even a sign of a problem on my first battery.

[

Yeah, I really need to figure out the problem. I think I will order a whole new slipper assembly from JRC when they are in stock. Or maybe I will borrow the slipper from one of the new 4s trucks that I have on the way. Either way it did seem to be doing better with the locktight and gorilla tape over the part where the gear is exposed. I did see that the spur gear had cut a hole in the tape so I think next time I will put a few layers of tape, that's all I can think of. There wasn't any sand in the power module that I could see, but then again it was filled with powdered plastic from the spur gear. Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

I don't tape where the gear is exposed and I don't loctite the slipper. So weird.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back