Big Rock Spur Gears keep getting eaten up, need help figuring out why

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only thing i can suggest is maybe you can film a video of you rotating the power module around so we can see all angles? fully assembled with the cover, and then without the cover/spur? I'm thinking maybe something will jump out that you don't see (because you think it is normal and should be that way...)

Op, sorry if this was mentioned in previous pages, but are you using the stock arrma pinion and spur? 5 minutes and a blown spur, something is going on with the mesh. Look closely at the motor mount for any cracking that would cause the motor to pull away from the spur

Man I hope this gets figured out.

Only thing i can suggest is maybe you can film a video of you rotating the power module around so we can see all angles? fully assembled with the cover, and then without the cover/spur? I'm thinking maybe something will jump out that you don't see (because you think it is normal and should be that way...)
I will get a video tomorrow and upload it to this thread
Op, sorry if this was mentioned in previous pages, but are you using the stock arrma pinion and spur? 5 minutes and a blown spur, something is going on with the mesh. Look closely at the motor mount for any cracking that would cause the motor to pull away from the spur

Man I hope this gets figured out.
Yes I am using the stock pinion and spur. I will inspect everything again but I just had it apart this morning and saw nothing. Thanks for the help

I think I may have found what caused it to shred this time, the pinion somehow moved up on the motor shaft. I am confused because I cannot move it with my hands and I used all of my force. I know that the pinion moved up because I took a picture when I finished assembling everything yesterday. I really have no idea. BTW the pinion is still very tight on the shaft, I cannot move it at all
Should I be using red loktight on the pinion grub screw?

I think I may have found what caused it to shred this time, the pinion somehow moved up on the motor shaft. I am confused because I cannot move it with my hands and I used all of my force. I know that the pinion moved up because I took a picture when I finished assembling everything yesterday. I really have no idea. BTW the pinion is still very tight on the shaft, I cannot move it at all
Should I be using red loktight on the pinion grub screw?

Are you sure the motor shaft doesn't have play in/out of the motor?
What? you sold your 2018 favorite RC?

Yeah pretty much sold it for what I paid for it and the plan was to buy a 4S Outcast/Kraton. Probably still will, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Are you sure the motor shaft doesn't have play in/out of the motor?

Yeah pretty much sold it for what I paid for it and the plan was to buy a 4S Outcast/Kraton. Probably still will, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Yeah I am positive it doesn't have any play, I have the motor in my hands right now and there is no side to side play and no up/down play. Stumped

So what should I do? I'm thinking of getting a cheap motor to make sure the motor isn't the problem, as well as getting a new motor mount and a whole new slipper assembly. I would like to get this figured out for less than $100 so if someone has a motor they would recommend please let me know. Thanks. I already have a new pinion on the way

I run it at 1 full turn from fully tight, you think I should run it looser?
Even that shouldn't tear up gears.
Even that shouldn't tear up gears.
Something else is problem. A metal spur isn't going to solve problems. Its either mesh, motor or slipper bearings.
As stated earlier in this thread my slipper doesn't stay tight if I set it any less than a hair from fully tight. So what would you recommend I do since you think the spurs are getting torn up due to the slipper being too tight? Should I just stop driving the car every 5-10 minutes when the slipper comes loose and call it a day? The whole slipper assembly is basically brand new it has like 3-4 batteries through it. Everybody seems to be able to tell me they think I'm wrong but can't tell me why my ARRMA TOUGH vehicle isn't so arrma tough. I literally tore the whole thing apart last night to install the Jimsbearings kit and found nothing. The motor mount isn't bent, I found nothing. Some of you are ARRMA fanboys and I am beginning to hate this brand. Contacted support and they told me to send them my torn up spur gear in order to get a replacement. I told them I would happily send all 7 of my torn up gears if they paid shipping, but of course they wont. Somebody take this POS of my hands
I'd call horizon hobby. And let them send u parts to fix it.

Last edited:
Thank you, now this makes sense and just might be the problem! I had a slipper hub crack because it was too tight so the spring may very well be the problem. Thanks again I will look into it. Do you know if I can buy the spring by itself or if I would have to buy the slipper clutch maintenance set?
Fyi, the spring is not used nor is the little black nut that comes in the rebuild kit. This info comes right from horizon themselves.

What about the video?
Sorry I have been busy I will upload one today
Fyi, the spring is not used nor is the little black nut that comes in the rebuild kit. This info comes right from horizon themselves.
The spring is not used? mine came with one installed and It even shows it in the diagram of how to assemble the slipper.

Something worth noting here that I found when installing a hobbywing motor in my granite. When I installed the hobbywing 3200kv motor and put the pinion on the mesh between it and the spur gear was really tight. I used the cover to hold the spur in place with motor and pinion installed, I moved it around holding it together with the motor plate until I could could see what was going on. Seems like some of the pre drilled holes for the motor for different pinions are off slightly. I used a drill bit the same size as the pre drilled holes and wollered the 15 pinion holes out to an oval shape so that I could set the mesh myself. Now I have no more tight mesh or binding and it even runs quieter and smoother. I think this just may be your problem since spur gears aren't perfectly round. I would try to oval out the mounting holes on the motor mount for the pinion you're using to give you some adjustability for setting the mesh. This was just my experience and I believe it's what's causing motor and ESC failures, mesh is to tight from factory pre drilled motor mount holes for the pinions.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back