Vorteks Steering Issues with Vorteks 3s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonic016

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
First time posting here, my Vorteks 3s is about 2 years old and out of warranty. Some background information about the car's steering problems started when I was gifted the car. When going in reverse the wheel would hard turn spinning it back around but that wasn't a huge deal since it was only in reverse. (Hindsight should have contacted Arrma).

Fast forward the servo died for the second time so I upgrade to this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076CNKQX4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Also used this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G3R5LQG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

This new Servo required me to change the Sterring from N to R which has made the throttle do the hard turn when accelerating and reverse to drive relatively straight.
Before ordering the stock servo and reversing this, does anyone know what could be the issue?

Thanks for any tips or help! (Can add videos or pictures if that helps, dogs hate the car so I can upload these later if needed)

First time posting here, my Vorteks 3s is about 2 years old and out of warranty. Some background information about the car's steering problems started when I was gifted the car. When going in reverse the wheel would hard turn spinning it back around but that wasn't a huge deal since it was only in reverse. (Hindsight should have contacted Arrma).

Fast forward the servo died for the second time so I upgrade to this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076CNKQX4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Also used this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G3R5LQG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

This new Servo required me to change the Sterring from N to R which has made the throttle do the hard turn when accelerating and reverse to drive relatively straight.
Before ordering the stock servo and reversing this, does anyone know what could be the issue?

Thanks for any tips or help! (Can add videos or pictures if that helps, dogs hate the car so I can upload these later if needed)
Find a 180 degree servo, not a 270. lots of guys use Amazon servos so Im not sure why yours is reversed. Have you tried recalibrating? Make sure the rig is completely level if it has AVC, also make sure your steering trim is centered, the DX3 will beep when you hit center. The Spektrum electronics with AVC are kinda fussy I personally went with a Spektrum S652 that I got for $9 and set my end points with no issues. Im sure one of the pros here will offer better advice.

Find a 180 degree servo, not a 270. lots of guys use Amazon servos so Im not sure why yours is reversed. Have you tried recalibrating? Make sure the rig is completely level if it has AVC, also make sure your steering trim is centered, the DX3 will beep when you hit center. The Spektrum electronics with AVC are kinda fussy I personally went with a Spektrum S652 that I got for $9 and set my end points with no issues. Im sure one of the pros here will offer better advice.
Thanks for responding, I will try to recalibrate it again and see if it makes it any better. I think I'm going to replace this current Servo with the stock one it was originally shipped with.

Still does not explain why it would hard turn in reverse and now does it on the throttle since I reversed the trim. I don't think its a common problem, maybe a video would help?

Hey uploaded a quick video. May help show my issue

Hey uploaded a quick video. May help show my issue
Oh, thats one I haven't seen. I would definitely switch to a 180 degree servo and re-bind and re-calibrate. Make sure you allow the servo to center before installing your servo saver. Make sure you have the rig completely level and still before calibration and don't let the chassis move while calibrating. I know you need to have steering trim centered and zero out the avc before calibrating. I had a bad servo out of the box cause weird issues but not the same as you are experiencing.

Oh, thats one I haven't seen. I would definitely switch to a 180 degree servo and re-bind and re-calibrate. Make sure you allow the servo to center before installing your servo saver. Make sure you have the rig completely level and still before calibration and don't let the chassis move while calibrating. I know you need to have steering trim centered and zero out the avc before calibrating. I had a bad servo out of the box cause weird issues but not the same as you are experiencing.
Yeah i'm going back to the stock servo since I don't need to run the reciver in Reverse mode, so the issue only happens when going backwards and not forward. I will recalibrate it again, but its like the servo turns on its own and wont return back to neutral and I can need to move the wheel to get it back. Thanks for looking at it, maybe someone else will have some idea as to what is going on. Been happening out of the box in reverse, so I thought it was normal. I guess not!

Yeah i'm going back to the stock servo since I don't need to run the reciver in Reverse mode, so the issue only happens when going backwards and not forward. I will recalibrate it again, but its like the servo turns on its own and wont return back to neutral and I can need to move the wheel to get it back. Thanks for looking at it, maybe someone else will have some idea as to what is going on. Been happening out of the box in reverse, so I thought it was normal. I guess not!
I would go with a Spektrum S652 instead of the stock S651, its not much of an upgrade but you can get it from Jennys at about $10 and its double the torque of the S651 which fail all the time. Ive got 3 fried ones. If you go back to the stock S651 set your steering endpoints conservatively or it wont last long. Stock S651 is only 7kg, the S652 is 15kg

I would go with a Spektrum S652 instead of the stock S651, its not much of an upgrade but you can get it from Jennys at about $10 and its double the torque of the S651 which fail all the time. Ive got 3 fried ones. If you go back to the stock S651 set your steering endpoints conservatively or it wont last long. Stock S651 is only 7kg, the S652 is 15kg
Got it, will do! Hopefully one day I can figure out why it turns like that in reverse or accelerating

Servo horn or servo saver aren't scratching anywhere on the chassis?
No it doesn't appear to be touching at all. Just replaced it with a stock servo and the car steers forward perfectly fine but now does it in reverse since changing the remote back to N for steering instead of R (That servo I bought required it apparently).

So for now I can drive around with no issues, just a very strange issue

Back