Kraton Steering servo yet agin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a binding issue a while back and some suggested steering servo, which was the issue I changed it she was great after about 60 or so laps not continuous of course it is now doing it again dies anyone else have this issue and any suggestions thanx

I'm always looking for an excuse to share this image.
poop servo.jpg

I got two of these for $36 on amazon. I’ve ripped out a pillow ball twice and hit the usual track pvc after landing with no issues. These work. They do turn 180 so make sure you set your end points.

1E40B257-8CE1-4B1D-8264-D8558AD44714.jpeg

This is the third thread I’ve read on the same S652 problem this week. I haven’t had the time to read extensively here, but with this apparently having been going on for some time, has anyone investigated the cause of the problem?

ie. Is it the gears stripping and jamming the internals that is causing the over current problem that browns out the ESC?

Or... is it an electronics fault, that is failing to a short circuit like state, that is drawing the current? Normally I would think proper electronic design would fuse into an open circuit state before a short circuit could eventuate. ie. Opening up the servo should reveal gears intact in this case. If electronics failure is the case, would adding a capacitor to the BEC power supply help? (Not that it should be needed obviously).

I can’t do a full electronic diagnostic, but if anyone in Australia has a couple that have failed this way, I’d be happy to pay postage to have a dig around inside?

If we can nail down a common cause it’s only going to help everyone with warranty claims.

I've been having good luck with these:
https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-hcs-4521-high-torque-digital-waterproof-crawler-servo.html

I currently have 2 and just ordered another because they are on sale again. I have one in both my outcast 6s and e-revo 2.0 running off max6's at 7.2V. They both have been in the trucks since April 2020. The 3rd will find it's way to my Maxx 4S. Replacing the honking plastic geared servo they put in that thing if/when it dies. I have a MMX in it, so should be able to bump up the voltage some. I won't crank it way up, I don't want to cook my fans. ;)

@Boosta My educated guess, the servo motor is overheating and wiring is shorting out internally. Seems like the electronics have no issue tolerating the resulting higher current. This current increase pulls down the ESC/BEC voltage and causes the brownouts.

No, nothing would help and caps on the receiver won't prevent anything.

No idea why it's overheating or burning out but simply not up to the task.

@Boosta My educated guess, the servo motor is overheating and wiring is shorting out internally. Seems like the electronics have no issue tolerating the resulting higher current. This current increase pulls down the ESC/BEC voltage and causes the brownouts.

No, nothing would help and caps on the receiver won't prevent anything.

No idea why it's overheating or burning out but simply not up to the task.
Thanks for the reply mate and thoughts on the matter. Good suggestion, I hadn’t been thinking of the motor being the fault. That should be an easy one to test for as well.

I wonder if it’s just not cut out for 7.4V?

When mine went it had that always popular burnt wire smell. I have a V5 so about a week after the servo the esc joyfully did the same and 6 days after that the motor went. Woo hoo spektrum. Nothing like building a tank and loading it with blanks

I got two of these for $36 on amazon. I’ve ripped out a pillow ball twice and hit the usual track pvc after landing with no issues. These work. They do turn 180 so make sure you set your end points.

View attachment 149790
These CAN work but also at the same time it may not be strong enough. I stripped the main gear on a 20kg and 25kg one of these haha Right now another 25kg is in the Kraton, but I think it really needs the 35kg. I have 2 extra 35kg's so if this one strips then in goes the 35 :)

When mine went it had that always popular burnt wire smell. I have a V5 so about a week after the servo the esc joyfully did the same and 6 days after that the motor went. Woo hoo spektrum. Nothing like building a tank and loading it with blanks
Sounds like bad luck to me. Only my servo went, been going months and months on my esc and motor and I spray my car with a hose, go thru puddles etc.

This is what I am using on my EXB. I was planning to get Reef's 444 but was backordered at the time and did some research and found this has better specs plus brushless motor too.
At 7.4V its it's super fast and powerful. On steering wheel on the TX, release from full turn, the servo even mimicks the bounce of the TX wheel.
It's $100.

20210402_010347.jpg

I did a little tear-down to investigate mine when it went belly up. All the gears looked good and i could turn the motor. the damage was all in the control circuit.

20210125_112552.jpg

20210125_203839[1].jpg

Back