Typhon Steve's Typhon 6s V5 build **lots of photos**

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stivine6

Reaction score
Super excited this is my first Arrma I picked up last week. Figured I should start a build thread so i can keep my stuff updated and enjoy this hobby a little more :)

My plans are to mostly keep it stock for now and enjoy it as is. I may widen it using Kraton parts and run the stock wheels until I need new ones.

• One of the most exciting part - unboxing! Initial impression out of the box was Arrma build quality is quite good. Everything is well put together and you feel like you get a lot for your money (metal chassis, metal cvds, decent quality electronics, screws were all nice and tight, diffs required no shimming). I specifically went for the v5 because i wanted the updated Spektrum electronics and SLT3 remote.

T8.jpg

T2.jpg

T9.jpg

• I did my first run on grass with 6s. Initial thoughts is this little buggy SCREAMS. It's faster than my erevo but less scary if it makes any sense. The erevo weighs a lot more so when it zooms past you really feel the mass. It could definitely use thicker fluid in the center diff so it can put more power to the rear wheels. Other than that I don't have any complaints in stock form. Amazing power and handles great out of the box. I believe Arrma did a good job setting it up and refining it.

• First mistake was taking it out on grass I thought it was relatively dry until I hit the throttle - Oh well too late at that point. Let's just say the clean up wasn't fun and took quite a while

T10.jpg

T11.jpg

After my first run I went ahead and installed the Kraton EXB Super basher from bumper for some added protection. Honestly it looked naked without it and would cause more damage in the long run without one.

T7.jpg

• During that one run on grass I noticed so much crap would get thrown onto the rear arms and cvds. Decided to fab out my own mud guards out of some ABS plastic. Turned out pretty nice hopefully these will keep the car a bit cleaner.

T12.jpg

T13.jpg

Bonus: If anyone is curious these are the parts you need along with the part #'s to truggify your Typhon 6s.

1614978377296.png

Last edited:
**Update** Had my 2nd bash session - total beast but we don't have the greatest weather here and the fields are just nasty. Tons of inconsistent little bumps causing the typhon to get tossed around and chassis slapped. I decided to truggify it and orderd kraton parts already. Hope to see those soon. Also took all my diff's apart to check and they were all only about half full. I topped them off with stock fluids for now as diff fluid is all on back order these days.

Also installed Power Hobby heat sink with dual fans. It was a little loose so i added a bit of duct tape to tighten the gap. Tried to make the install as clean as possible - So far I'm impressed with the power of the fans.

T14.jpg
T17.jpg
T18.jpg
T20.jpg

Next to my other beauty :)

T19.jpg
T22.jpg

Just some tips from me, I'd definitely go 500k in center diff 60k front and 20-30k rear it will make it a new beast, I like the 18t pinion for bashing. Great job on the mudguards I did the same thing but not as nice of material but helped a ton I'd say kept 80-90% of the mud/grass/debris off the shocks/tierods and driveshafts. Hate to say it but the SLT3 I'd replace as I had mine cause a few take offs and on certain start ups would not connect well or something causing my steering to be delayed and twitchy so I'd have to turn off and back on until it got good connection with rx. Not sure where you run but I did not like the stock katars as the small holes in the rims would get filled with small rocks stuck in them and absolutely no air control with the small tires for jumps/flips. Ran some MX28's on my TyphCast for a little but they too where to small for my driving style, you may like them if you don't do a lot of flips or big air that you need the air control. I run backflip LP's on my TyphCast now and love them but almost want to get some 4s backflips as they are so big I don't get any chassis slap which has caused a broken A arm already. Also I'd suggest going to the 46t spur over the 50t should help with motor temps. If you want a wider stance add Kraton arms, driveshafts and turnbuckles to your list as well👍

Just some tips from me, I'd definitely go 500k in center diff 60k front and 20-30k rear it will make it a new beast, I like the 18t pinion for bashing. Great job on the mudguards I did the same thing but not as nice of material but helped a ton I'd say kept 80-90% of the mud/grass/debris off the shocks/tierods and driveshafts. Hate to say it but the SLT3 I'd replace as I had mine cause a few take offs and on certain start ups would not connect well or something causing my steering to be delayed and twitchy so I'd have to turn off and back on until it got good connection with rx. Not sure where you run but I did not like the stock katars as the small holes in the rims would get filled with small rocks stuck in them and absolutely no air control with the small tires for jumps/flips. Ran some MX28's on my TyphCast for a little but they too where to small for my driving style, you may like them if you don't do a lot of flips or big air that you need the air control. I run backflip LP's on my TyphCast now and love them but almost want to get some 4s backflips as they are so big I don't get any chassis slap which has caused a broken A arm already. Also I'd suggest going to the 46t spur over the 50t should help with motor temps. If you want a wider stance add Kraton arms, driveshafts and turnbuckles to your list as well👍

Lots of useful info thank you! I did order Kraton hubs, axle stubs, and hexes to extend the track on it. I will be getting MX28s non-belted eventually. I don't usually jump my rc's or do flips with them I have my erevo if i do choose to do that. You're right about the Katar's they are decent tires for all around bashing the only major issue i have with them is it accumulates rocks and dirt in the hole like no tomorrow. I usually just add a piece of tape there but sometimes it comes off.

As for diff oil i plan on running 500k in the center and leaving the F/R for now to see how it changes its behavior. Only issue right now is finding some diff fluid at my local hobby store...

No issues with my SLT3 so far... fingers crossed, I actually enjoy using it

Ya just changing center to 500k will be like you adjusted punch up a few settings as it delivers the power better to front and rear. I'd suggest at least going heavier in front so you don't get so much ballooning in the front tires. Should be able to find some diff fluid on eBay, Amazon or maybe Amain. Even if you can get some 500k and some 10k you can mix them by ratio to get say 50k etc. I'll drop the link for the fluid mixing as it is very helpful.
https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/oil_mixer.html

Ya just changing center to 500k will be like you adjusted punch up a few settings as it delivers the power better to front and rear. I'd suggest at least going heavier in front so you don't get so much ballooning in the front tires. Should be able to find some diff fluid on eBay, Amazon or maybe Amain. Even if you can get some 500k and some 10k you can mix them by ratio to get say 50k etc. I'll drop the link for the fluid mixing as it is very helpful.
https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/oil_mixer.html
Awesome that's really helpful I'll definitely keep that link in hand :)

**Update** Got my parts in to truggify this beast. Kraton hubs, stub axles, and 17mm hexes. Let me just say right away there is a noticeable increase in width with these hubs as shown by the pictures below. Very happy with how everything came out and ease of install.

• Stock hubs vs Kraton 6s

T23.jpg

T24.jpg
T28.jpg

• Truggified front vs stock rear track width

T25.jpg
T27.jpg

• End results - New wheels are next

T29.jpg
T31.jpg

Sweeeetttttt build , here’s my truggified typhon . Great fun to drive she be 👍🏻 My badlands are not belted and they balloon huge , must try the fishing wire trick
3DDB9F07-004B-4BAF-BB2F-4BA5A32B29B4.jpeg

Sweeeetttttt build , here’s my truggified typhon . Great fun to drive she be 👍🏻 My badlands are not belted and they balloon huge , must try the fishing wire trick View attachment 132932
thanks dude! I was just wondering about that. They do balloon like crazy. Are you able to go full throttle on yours? I haven't tried yet but kinda nervous lmao. Are you on stock gearing?

Hello there , mines built from a kraton exb , so she’s got 3 x lsd , 50t spur gear and 20t pinion , running a rocket 1720kv motor , can’t go flat out with these on as they’ll pop , but I can use them in my little garden cos full throttle ain’t possible , will look for some fishing line to try , should be loadsa fun then

Hello there , mines built from a kraton exb , so she’s got 3 x lsd , 50t spur gear and 20t pinion , running a rocket 1720kv motor , can’t go flat out with these on as they’ll pop , but I can use them in my little garden cos full throttle ain’t possible , will look for some fishing line to try , should be loadsa fun then
Let me know how that goes!

Anyone else having trouble finding diff fluid? Only managed to locate some 100k, 50k, and 30k so decided to try that for now. Even the 100k feels STIFF I'm not sure how people are able to squeeze 500k stuff out of the bottle haha.

Setup: 50k/100k/30k

Let me just say it still completely transformed this beast. I'm able to pull wheelies even at almost full throttle down the streets. The front tires are still ballooning but manageable. Hope I can find 300k-1mil diff fluid down the road and mix/match them. Overall though I am VERY happy with how everything came out!! I'll be looking at Proline Badlands MX M2 buggy wheels/tires as my next set.

T40.jpg
T41.jpg

I cannot get over how good this thing looks... Might be my new favorite car over the erevo 2.0

T42.jpg

I've had a good 15-20 packs through this thing now and each time i take it out I am still blown away by its speed and durability. It's taken a hell of a beating and some crazy tumbles but i haven't broken a single part... yet. My wing has taken the brunt of the impacts and is about to break off so i am looking into a replacement for that. My stock tires are worn to poop but still hanging in there. Other than those 2 wear and tear items its scooting a long just fine.

I have 3 sets of tires for this thing, stock, proline mx m2 badlands, proline mx28 trenchers. Out of all 3 sets my favorite has to be the mx28's... amazing air control, insane wheelies at any speeds, and its ability to soak up any terrain makes it an all around best basher tire for my driving style. The badlands buggy wheels look the coolest by far and straight up turns this thing into a bullet on grass/dirty.

Super happy with this as my first Arrma

T53.jpg

T52.jpg

T55.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back