Suggestions/help for new build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trexdd

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Senton 3s
Hey all, I’m interested in looking at doing a build from the ground up, only I don’t know where to start as this would be a first for me, building something that’s for surface use.

I really would like to build a U4 buggy, similar to the Losi Lasernut, but would like it to be a little larger more towards 1/8th scale.

Are there kits I could look at that include everything that my search history hasn’t shown? Or am I SOL unless I go full custom?

I want something I can take to a beach and run on sand or the roads around here that are hard packed gravel. As well something that I can get parts for to replace when I inevitably send it to hard.

Open to suggestions and thanks in advance!

You can start by checking Jenny's as many others are going to suggest. For me, when narrowed down to which car/truck I am going to build, I do an Excel spreadsheet/list for everything that I will need, where I will get to from, $$, etc.
It can get away from you very quickly money wise...

Building from scratch gets very expensive: you will wind up with a vehicle that costs two to three times what it is worth. One suggestion is to start with a roller of your choice; add your choice for electronics; and upgrade other items to your tastes. By starting with a roller, you won't easily forget the parts you need, and you can still build it up the way you want it and get the experience of wrenching on it.

Yeah, as others will also comment, it's not a 'cost saving' way to obtain an RC. It's more about building something that you want to the spec that you want. In that regard, depending on how you approach the hobby, it can save you money. If you buy a roller/RTR and then go and upgrade everything, its going to cost you. If you're a drive it as I buy it and only replace/upgrade failed parts, then you can potentially save some coin.

Ultra4 kit in 1/8?

Yeah you're SOL unless you're happy with 1/10 scale and get the new CAPO Ultra4 "Queen" kit.

It’s not so much about the money. It’s more about the build process itself. I enjoy that part almost as much, if not more, than driving them and putting them through their paces.

Too bad, looks like other than the CAPO kit (which I’ve looked at) perhaps I will have to set my sights on a different kind of build at this stage in my RC adventure.

But while I’m here, does anyone care to weigh in on any U4 cars/trucks they own?

Back