Fazon Surchaufeur's second NERO rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
I found a nero for 200 cad and decided to jump on it. Its the non diff brain version and has weaker axles vs the nero big rock. Planning on doing the screw mod to seal the diffs to run oil. Because running as is is not going to be very great. The guy sprayed grease everywhere. Even when run trough water and cleaned and dried stuff going to rust. Hinge pins one had like mushroom rust i had to send down and ton of force to get it out my ultrasonic is great at cleaning light grease but heavy grease its a bit of a nightmare. Found rust inside the radiobox and a tiny bit of corrosion on one of the receiver pins. The esc switch has rust inside? Theres some brown through the clear silicone. Motor had ton of rust dust and rust on the stator but i sont think that will effect its running
20230927_225503.jpg
20230927_225513.jpg
20230927_225520.jpg
20230927_225533.jpg
20230928_001126.jpg
20230928_012859.jpg
20230928_003058.jpg

One annoyance of the nero vs the big rock. To remove the rear of the vehicle i had to remove the whole side panel off because the body post mount is keyed into the chassis i though i could just pull it up and it would come out but it didnt.
20231003_163637.jpg
20231001_002501.jpg
20231001_002356.jpg

I had to order a wheelie bar, new diff gaskets, orings and rear, somerhing important i learned is the axles MUST BE in sync. In the nero you can put the axles any way you want. They have to be iligned. On my bigrock i didnt know this and i had vibrations and up and it felt like my motor was breaking itself in neutral and under heavy throttle. After i fixed that it calmed quite a lot. I have 3d printed mud guards ready. Those are a must as you can see..
By the looks of it he broke 3 of the 4 eod ends on the shocks. Changed the spring to the optional 75mm ones who are less hard. Im not going to do much shock wise. Went crazy with the bigrock with fiteteam springs i mainly did it because of the insane ground clearence i gained once modified and i wanted to be able to crawl. I need to design ne spring perches, i don't want to grind the rods ends to fit the ones i previously made. The point of it is to avoid twisting the shock ends and bending the shafts i will lose the ability to adjust the rid height if i do tho
20231001_002449.jpg

Currently changing the shock rods on two of the shocks for nero HD. im going to have to use a plastic 3s pivot ball because one is missing

Last edited:
I found a nero for 200 cad and decided to jump on it. Its the non diff brain version and has weaker axles vs the nero big rock. Planning on doing the screw mod to seal the diffs to run oil. Because running as is is not going to be very great. The guy sprayed grease everywhere. Even when run trough water and cleaned and dried stuff going to rust. Hinge pins one had like mushroom rust i had to send down and ton of force to get it out my ultrasonic is great at cleaning light grease but heavy grease its a bit of a nightmare. Found rust inside the radiobox and a tiny bit of corrosion on one of the receiver pins. The esc switch has rust inside? Theres some brown through the clear silicone. Motor had ton of rust dust and rust on the stator but i sont think that will effect its runningView attachment 325198View attachment 325199View attachment 325200View attachment 325201View attachment 325202View attachment 325203View attachment 325204
One annoyance of the nero vs the big rock. To remove the rear of the vehicle i had to remove the whole side panel off because the body post mount is keyed into the chassis i though i could just pull it up and it would come out but it didnt.
View attachment 325205View attachment 325206View attachment 325207
I had to order a wheelie bar, new diff gaskets, orings and rear, somerhing important i learned is the axles MUST BE in sync. In the nero you can put the axles any way you want. They have to be iligned. On my bigrock i didnt know this and i had vibrations and up and it felt like my motor was breaking itself in neutral and under heavy throttle. After i fixed that it calmed quite a lot. I have 3d printed mud guards ready. Those are a must as you can see..
By the looks of it he broke 3 of the 4 eod ends on the shocks. Changed the spring to the optional 75mm ones who are less hard. Im not going to do much shock wise. Went crazy with the bigrock with fiteteam springs i mainly did it because of the insane ground clearence i gained once modified and i wanted to be able to crawl. I need to design ne spring perches, i don't want to grind the rods ends to fit the ones i previously made. The point of it is to avoid twisting the shock ends and bending the shafts i will lose the ability to adjust the rid height if i do thoView attachment 325208
Currently changing the shock rods on two of the shocks for nero HD. im going to have to use a plastic 3s pivot ball because one is missing

I wish I could find deals like this.

I found a nero for 200 cad and decided to jump on it. Its the non diff brain version and has weaker axles vs the nero big rock. Planning on doing the screw mod to seal the diffs to run oil. Because running as is is not going to be very great. The guy sprayed grease everywhere. Even when run trough water and cleaned and dried stuff going to rust. Hinge pins one had like mushroom rust i had to send down and ton of force to get it out my ultrasonic is great at cleaning light grease but heavy grease its a bit of a nightmare. Found rust inside the radiobox and a tiny bit of corrosion on one of the receiver pins. The esc switch has rust inside? Theres some brown through the clear silicone. Motor had ton of rust dust and rust on the stator but i sont think that will effect its runningView attachment 325198View attachment 325199View attachment 325200View attachment 325201View attachment 325202View attachment 325203View attachment 325204
View attachment 325205View attachment 325206View attachment 325207
By the looks of it he broke 3 of the 4 eod ends on the shocks. Changed the spring to the optional 75mm ones who are less hard. Im not going to do much shock wise. Went crazy with the bigrock with fiteteam springs i mainly did it because of the insane ground clearence i gained once modified and i wanted to be able to crawl. I need to design ne spring perches, i don't want to grind the rods ends to fit the ones i previously made. The point of it is to avoid twisting the shock ends and bending the shafts i will lose the ability to adjust the rid height if i do thoView attachment 325208

HAHAHA! I was looking at getting that one as guy was looking for a crawler. I offered my new modded Element Knightrunner but the guy didn’t want to pay the difference.

$250 is a good find. Félicitation!
IMG_2953.png

Last edited:
HAHAHA! I was looking at getting that one as guy was looking for a crawler. I offered my new modded Element Knightrunner but the guy didn’t want to pay the difference.

$250 is a good find. Félicitation!
Ahahahah. a friend notified me when someone was selling a crawler and he said in the comment he had a nero we agreed on 200 then he changed his mind. He decided to trade it for crawler And the price went to 350 and i backed out, then he texted 2 days later back if i could confirm him for 200$. Maybe after ur offer is why he sent me a DM. I was going to search guava plants when he texted me and LaSalle was just near it and we schedule for 18:30 the plan worked as expected i took in consideration the traffic as an hour to get to lachine. He told me he might have parts and we will meet if he finds them. It was a race because someone was going to come if i didnt arrive around the time we scheduled

Last edited:
Started working on my nero again, printed the mudguards and the new spring perches. Guard are TPU and the perches PETG.
20231009_213334.jpg
20231009_213853.jpg

Then i attacked the diffs. The rear diff had nothing wrong with it but i had two large shim instead of 1 crown gear side. Just removed 1 plugged the holes and filled it with 20k and new gasket
20231022_000756.jpg

The center and the front in the other hand had big issues. The center diff the large shim was completely destroyed, the seal on the same side also vanished to bits. The front diff had a seal missing also completely eaten. The previous owners really tortured the truck. The seals were also bad? I saved my nero bigrock seals and compared to the ones i took out of the nero they are brand new. I also noticed my rebuild diff kit thr seals were also bad?? Pictures of new seal from rebuild kit vs new seal. And also old bogrock seals vs nero
20231106_192810.jpg
20231106_192835.jpg
20231106_184302.jpg
20231106_184317.jpg

Despite blowing the seals AND mangled shim the diffs DID NOT FAIL. Reused the old seals and remained few seals i had left from my bigrock rebuild to finish the diffs. I ordered the seals from my hobbyshop more than a month ago with a bunch of other nero parts. Got all of them but not the seals. My LHS told me today they are completely lost again with their orders or maybe something else is going on?
Massive 1.5 mod gears and pic of two brand new seals. The dull ones either rotted with time or some neros had a different material seals. The new ones are nice soft and shiny like the ones i got out of my bigrock
20231106_194716.jpg
20231106_195446.jpg
20231106_203854.jpg
20231106_203227.jpg

Center diff filled with 200k its the thickest i have

Last edited:
Started working on my nero again, printed the mudguards and the new spring perches. Guard are TPU and the perches PETG.View attachment 330538View attachment 330539
Then i attacked the diffs. The rear diff had nothing wrong with it but i had two large shim instead of 1 crown gear side. Just removed 1 plugged the holes and filled it with 20k and new gasketView attachment 330541
The center and the front in the other hand had big issues. The center diff the large shim was completely destroyed, the seal on the same side also vanished to bits. The front diff had a seal missing also completely eaten. The previous owners really tortured the truck. The seals were also bad? I saved my nero bigrock seals and compared to the ones i took out of the nero they are brand new. I also noticed my rebuild diff kit thr seals were also bad?? Pictures of new seal from rebuild kit vs new seal. And also old bogrock seals vs nero View attachment 330542View attachment 330543View attachment 330544View attachment 330545
Despite blowing the seals AND mangled shim the diffs DID NOT FAIL. Reused the old seals and remained few seals i had left from my bigrock rebuild to finish the diffs. I ordered the seals from my hobbyshop more than a month ago with a bunch of other nero parts. Got all of them but not the seals. My LHS told me today they are completely lost again with their orders or maybe something else is going on?
Massive 1.5 mod gears and pic of two brand new seals. The dull ones either rotted with time or some neros had a different material seals. The new ones are nice soft and shiny like the ones i got out of my bigrockView attachment 330546View attachment 330547View attachment 330548View attachment 330549
Center diff filled with 200k its the thickest i have

I think the orings were damaged by whatever it was he used to clean that thing, I mean look at the shock boots how dry rotted the rubber is.

I think the orings were damaged by whatever it was he used to clean that thing, I mean look at the shock boots how dry rotted the rubber is.
Yeah that was my assumption until i pulled “new orings” from the diff rebuild kid and they looked almost the same. I compared them to some left overs i bought and the used one from my bigrock that i replaced
From the new rebuild kit and new from the specific part number. Things like these makes me believe arrma is still making nero parts despite saying the contrary.
1CDE59F4-11B1-490A-82D6-E8F37FE3C2CA.jpeg

6B9A8C67-F191-4850-9224-5DCE6178168F.jpeg

Weird Bigrock shock cap oring on the right and nero oring on the left.. even arrma in those times had some QC issues. They are big almost like the orings that should go inside of the diff

20231113_132445.jpg

20231113_132450.jpg

20231113_132723.jpg

Maybe he changed the orings for the ones of the diff. But why. Oil was redish clear with dark stuff at the bottom. Likely the original fluid with a bit of anodizing worn off

This is why I hate Traxxas.
But I love their products.
You hate Traxxas because Arrma copied their patented designs? I honestly don't understand what they were even thinking or why they even thought it was a smart idea to copy the patented designs of another company that has a track record of suing other companies for copying their patented designs. Vaterra had already tried to use that same suspension design on the Twin Hammers and got shut down real fast. What did Arrma expect was going to happen?

Here we go again. Theres many rc who use cantilever style suspension. Tamiya cars is one of them. If arrma makes a nero 4s somehow will there be grounds to sue? they just have to modifie the shock towers. If i remember correctly you mentioned how the servo saver was positioned and the radio box. But if you ask me that is just filler when they filled the lawsuit, you sue someone and find other small grounds to fill up the lawsuit to make it bigger an more costly to the defendents, if ur suing and trowing a tomato better throw them at all once while ur at it.. The lawsuit was specificly about the cantilever style suspension and how it will lower the sales of the e revo because their costumers would think they getting an e revo but would in fact be a nero.

Words of their own lawyers not mine. A company that talks down on the inteligence of their own costumers shouldnt be defended. Someone with one working braincell knows that the e revo and nero had bassicly 0 resemblances. With that logic Traxxas could have sued HPI for copying the sledge motor mount because it looks like a sledge because of it. Sure then you will bring amazon and how we buy stuff from them ect when they do bad business so that we are big hypocrites. but let me ask you this. The forum itself is supported and maintained by amazon. The website benefits from affiliated links. Wont be surprised if it runs also on their servers. Every big company are bad. Goes for apple, samsung, LG, Amazon, facebook, Twitter, Discord, Activision, Blizzard. All of these multi million companies do little to no good to society and planet earth. We have to deal with what we have unfortunately. Heck theres worst. Theres the food industry using chemicals on our food that gives us straight cancer. But we buy it anyway because it taste good. I don't even buy Cereals anymore because of that.

here's the thing. This kind of suspension is used on touring cars and lots of F1 kits. And Traxxas legit says that they essentially took the idea from F1 as a whole. As far as I know, you should be able to steal a stolen design....
Thats how everything in the world was created pretty much. Stealing others creations and making it better. Goes for everything. Look no further than the light bulb or ur cellphone. Heck pixels/LEDS. imagine if only one brand of Cars existed or only one cellphone company. Because anyone trying to make a car or a different cellphone is infringing on a patent/stealing the product

Last edited:
here's the thing. This kind of suspension is used on touring cars and lots of F1 kits. And Traxxas legit says that they essentially took the idea from F1 as a whole. As far as I know, you should be able to steal a stolen design....

Here we go again. Theres many rc who use cantilever style suspension. Tamiya cars is one of them. If arrma makes a nero 4s somehow will there be grounds to sue? they just have to modifie the shock towers. If i remember correctly you mentioned how the servo saver was positioned and the radio box. But if you ask me that is just filler when they filled the lawsuit, you sue someone and find other small grounds to fill up the lawsuit to make it bigger an more costly to the defendents, if ur suing and trowing a tomato better throw them at all once while ur at it.. The lawsuit was specificly about the cantilever style suspension and how it will lower the sales of the e revo because their costumers would think they getting an e revo but would in fact be a nero.

Words of their own lawyers not mine. A company that talks down on the inteligence of their own costumers shouldnt be defended. Someone with one working braincell knows that the e revo and nero had bassicly 0 resemblances. With that logic Traxxas could have sued HPI for copying the sledge motor mount because it looks like a sledge because of it. Sure then you will bring amazon and how we buy stuff from them ect when they do bad business so that we are big hypocrites. but let me ask you this. The forum itself is supported and maintained by amazon. The website benefits from affiliated links. Wont be surprised if it runs also on their servers. Every big company are bad. Goes for apple, samsung, LG, Amazon, facebook, Twitter, Discord, Activision, Blizzard. All of these multi million companies do little to no good to society and planet earth. We have to deal with what we have unfortunately. Heck theres worst. Theres the food industry using chemicals on our food that gives us straight cancer. But we buy it anyway because it taste good. I don't even buy Cereals anymore because of that.

Thats how everything in the world was created pretty much. Stealing others creations and making it better. Goes for everything. Look no further than the light bulb or ur cellphone. Heck pixels/LEDS. imagine if only one brand of Cars existed or only one cellphone company. Because anyone trying to make a car or a different cellphone is infringing on a patent/stealing the product

Here's the big difference all the cars prior to the Revo or after the Revo that are still in production look absolutely nothing like a Revo. The cantalevers are completely different, the angles are completely different the orientation of the shocks is completely different. Traxxas parts do not fit on any of the other cars like they do the Nero. I've said it once and I will say it again Traxxas does not have a fiddlesticking patent for cantilever shocks nowhere in any of their patents does it even mention anything about cantilevers. It's all about the angles at which everything is oriented. Now look at the Nero it is almost exactly the same and it is so similar that even a court of law decided in Traxxas favor.

You can argue all you want about this but at the end of the day Arrma was 8n the wrong. Every company on the planet has the right to patent their designs even if their patent contains elements of others designs that were never patented. Said company has every legal right to defend said patents.

Stop blaming Traxxas for Arrmas unoriginalality when it comes to designing their cars. Arrma copies everyone it's no secret that time them copying someone just bit them in the ass.

Last edited:
Back