Talion Talion Speed Tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonio239

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Outcast 6s
  3. Talion
  4. Typhon 6s
How do I top 100mph with my talon blx 6s?? Just recently installed the mamba x motor swapped out the original spur gear and installed a spool now I’m running 30T/34T... upgraded my battery from a 50c to 100c.. I’m new just bought the car a month ago

How do I top 100mph with my talon blx 6s?? Just recently installed the mamba x motor swapped out the original spur gear and installed a spool now I’m running 30T/34T... upgraded my battery from a 50c to 100c.. I’m new just bought the car a month ago
What motor?

Be prepared to dish out some money. You will probably spend 3x the car value on upgrades..easily.

What tires? Stock will rip apart a little above 70mph. With Hoons you need different gearing.
What ESC? Stock? Not going to make it, it will burn up.
What battery? Your battery upgrade probably didn't do much as C rating is a marketing tool. Turnigy Graphene or CHL are favorites

Need to lower front and rear, stiffer springs in the front.
Front spoiler or it will take off, rear modified spoiler or it won't go above 75ish.

Look at some Talion speedruns on youtube and probably this one below. Above 70 you run into stuff you never heard about.
Set your toe, camber, upgrade hubs and so on. Do all the adjustments BEFORE you spend money.

What motor?
Mamba X
Be prepared to dish out some money. You will probably spend 3x the car value on upgrades..easily.

What tires? Stock will rip apart a little above 70mph. With Hoons you need different gearing.
What ESC? Stock? Not going to make it, it will burn up.
What battery? Your battery upgrade probably didn't do much as C rating is a marketing tool. Turnigy Graphene or CHL are favorites

Need to lower front and rear, stiffer springs in the front.
Front spoiler or it will take off, rear modified spoiler or it won't go above 75ish.

Look at some Talion speedruns on youtube and probably this one below. Above 70 you run into stuff you never heard about.
Set your toe, camber, upgrade hubs and so on. Do all the adjustments BEFORE you spend money.

I have the mamba x I upgraded from a 5200 50c LiPo battery to a 6500 100c. I have the grp t01 tires.. upgraded to the hot racing spool running on 30T pinion/34T spur... some guy said I need to program my mamba to make it go faster but idk bout any of that.. I’m already bout 1300/1500 in and I’m only a month in

Also wanna know a good/affordable transmitter that’s not 500 dollars

Not trying to support traxxas on an arrma forum but I use their receiver and remote on my talion v4, works great.
I’m digging the spectrum controllers I was thinking probably going with a upgraded version of that brand

I’m digging the spectrum controllers I was thinking probably going with a upgraded version of that brand

I recommend going with something that has some more bells and whistles. For premium, Spektrum, Futaba, Sanwa all make really nice receivers and transmitters, but they do tend to cost an arm and a leg.

For budget options, check out FlySky and Radiolink. They feel cheaper (and are cheaper) than premium options, but they offer great bang for buck option. Receivers are cheap, model memory, a bunch of settings to adjust..

You get what you pay for, as usual, but most any upgrade you get will be a step up from what comes stock.

Good luck!

I hear good things about their higher quality stuff. I also hear a lot of people go with futaba.
Bro when I typed in transmitter Futaba was the first thing popped up they got one that’s like 549 that does everything but I wouldn’t even know how to use it
U know how to program a mamba x esc?
What I would be buying today under $500 for a speed runner:

1) Flysky Noble NB4
2) Futaba T3PV
3) Dumborc X4

In that order.
Appreciate that big homie

Futaba for the range needed in speed running. I have the DX5C. I may change it out if range is a problem. I used to be a Futaba fan boy.

Futaba for the range needed in speed running. I have the DX5C. I may change it out if range is a problem. I used to be a Futaba fan boy.
The DX5C is that a spektrum?

The DX5C is that a spektrum?
Yes it is, i don't have any experience with it, but people seem to like it a lot! Also it's pretty affordable.
The DX5C is a fine radio for most RC needs, but the range just isn’t good enough for speed runs. Vas @Aussie RC Playground did a recent speed run with his and had range issues. He’s since done a great review of many radios on his YouTube channel.

If you are serious about going over 100mph then I would go one of 2 routes with the budget radio. (spektrum range isn't very good)

1. Find a Futaba running FASST protocol. These used on eBay are between $50-290.00 (typically this will be the 3PM and 4PK models for a budget price)
FASST protocol easily covers 1200+ft range.
2. Buy a lower price radio like RadioLink ,DumboRC ,or Futaba 3PV and add a signal booster.

As far as the motor, which Mamba motor is it? The 1515 (2200kv) ?
The ESC is the real limiting factor. A good Castle ESC will get this car well beyond 100mph. (MM2 retro, XLX, and MMX8s being the top 3 options there)

Your gearing at 30/34 sounds fine to me. GRP 1/8 tires are a must until you reach 140 and then swap to BSR foams. The GRPs need balancing!

The DX5C is a fine radio for most RC needs, but the range just isn’t good enough for speed runs. Vas @Aussie RC Playground did a recent speed run with his and had range issues. He’s since done a great review of many radios on his YouTube channel.

I take what Vas says with a grain of salt.
He's the type of guy who flubbs here and there like we all do but he'll blame it on things not true. IMHO.
I see how he build his rigs. I don't like it considering how he actually works for Metro hobby.(LHS) He cant even mount a lipo and connectors properly. He loses lipos and gets disconnects etc. during his vids.
His driving is good! I will concede.
He is a take it out the box and drive it guy. He will conceal an issue he doesn't understand. He should do better video editing. Just my subjective opinion. Obviously I do watch his content nonetheless.:cool:
Edit:
When it comes to range issues, everyone blames the Radio. How about making sure your batteries are up to snuff. (Full power).
And most importantly, understand how to properly install a RECIEVER!
No one ever talks about Rx brownouts at the tail end of a speed run. Rx voltage can drop significantly. There's alot more to range beside the Radio. Rx is the other half of the equation. I've see the sloppiest Rx installs ever. But most will blame the radio. Some Rx's are just better than others. Depending on brand, some surface Radio's can use Air Rx's for better range.
I think @razorrc does a better job evaluating RC rigs and gear.

Last edited:
On receiver install, antenna is the most important item on the entire rig and is the only item impacting range. Keep line of sight in mind. RF shadows are in areas behind metal parts aka battery, motor & gears. They will block any RF signal. A build-in or sloppy laid-out antenna wire will be in an RF shadow in certain orientations. My guess, that is the case in 90% of all brownouts. External noise is only a factor if the received RF is too low but obviously range is a limitation as well.
DX5C - not recommended for distance needed for speed runs. I have lost connection many times with good layout and clear line of sight. It's great for bashing etc but beyond 2-300 yards it's getting sketchy. Some people use external amplifiers which are not quite legal and heat up quickly. That is for extreme speed runs and you probably only get 1 or 2 runs in before something overheats, but that is what speed is all about anyway.
If you are into speed, you must have an understanding of every ESC setting, some electrical basics are a plus. Need to be able to analyze graphs based on voltage & current besides all the mechanical knowledge around suspension etc. At some point it's more a job :geek: that will cost money but it's fun.

On receiver install, antenna is the most important item on the entire rig and is the only item impacting range. Keep line of sight in mind. RF shadows are in areas behind metal parts aka battery, motor & gears. They will block any RF signal. A build-in or sloppy laid-out antenna wire will be in an RF shadow in certain orientations. My guess, that is the case in 90% of all brownouts. External noise is only a factor if the received RF is too low but obviously range is a limitation as well.
DX5C - not recommended for distance needed for speed runs. I have lost connection many times with good layout and clear line of sight. It's great for bashing etc but beyond 2-300 yards it's getting sketchy. Some people use external amplifiers which are not quite legal and heat up quickly. That is for extreme speed runs and you probably only get 1 or 2 runs in before something overheats, but that is what speed is all about anyway.
If you are into speed, you must have an understanding of every ESC setting, some electrical basics are a plus. Need to be able to analyze graphs based on voltage & current besides all the mechanical knowledge around suspension etc. At some point it's more a job :geek: that will cost money but it's fun.
Watch your Ripple. Keep it below 2 or 3v. < 10% of total lipo volts. This will save your ESC too. :cool:

Last edited:
I take what Vas says with a grain of salt.
He's the type of guy who flubbs here and there like we all do but he'll blame it on things not true. IMHO.
I see how he build his rigs. I don't like it considering how he actually works for Metro hobby.(LHS) He cant even mount a lipo and connectors properly. He loses lipos and gets disconnects etc. during his vids.
His driving is good! I will concede.
He is a take it out the box and drive it guy. He will conceal an issue he doesn't understand. He should do better video editing. Just my subjective opinion. Obviously I do watch his content nonetheless.:cool:
Edit:
When it comes to range issues, everyone blames the Radio. How about making sure your batteries are up to snuff. (Full power).
And most importantly, understand how to properly install a RECIEVER!
No one ever talks about Rx brownouts at the tail end of a speed run. Rx voltage can drop significantly. There's alot more to range beside the Radio. Rx is the other half of the equation. I've see the sloppiest Rx installs ever. But most will blame the radio. Some Rx's are just better than others. Depending on brand, some surface Radio's can use Air Rx's for better range.
I think @razorrc does a better job evaluating RC rigs and gear.
The Limitless speed run was when he lost signal. I believe he checked voltages and still had issues. ??‍♂️ I’ve seen similar issues on my Futaba 3PV when using AA NiMH cells vs a 2S Lipo.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back