Team Associated Trophy Rat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Mojave
  7. Senton 3s
  8. Typhon 3s
Hey guys, just wondering if there are any Trophy Rat owners here? Apparently these things debuted before I got into the hobby, but I stumbled upon a video on YouTube about recently and they look super cool. I'm thinking about adding one to my collection, but I just wanted to get any thoughts or opinions first from actual owners. Thanks.

Hey guys, just wondering if there are any Trophy Rat owners here? Apparently these things debuted before I got into the hobby, but I stumbled upon a video on YouTube about recently and they look super cool. I'm thinking about adding one to my collection, but I just wanted to get any thoughts or opinions first from actual owners. Thanks.
I remember looking at these a few times, it is basically a Pro2 SC10 with a rat rod body on it. The body for it should fit any short course truck iirc.

I remember looking at these a few times, it is basically a Pro2 SC10 with a rat rod body on it. The body for it should fit any short course truck iirc.
Thanks man, you're like the Wikipedia of RCs lol. The body of course is super cool, I like the fact that it's based on a real-life vehicle. But what really stood out to me was how well it handled for a 2WD platform, would you say that's a fair assessment?

What do you want to know about them? They are basically the same as the DR10 and ProSC10, of which, we own and bash both. They are pretty durable, and can take a fairly good amount of abuse, no matter what way they are set up (drag car, SCT, SWB dirt stock car (the SR10 is a SWB version of the Trophy Rat)), and, even running them at a concrete skate park, the only thing that has broken so far is the rear bumper and rear shock tower on my ProSC10. Here is a video of her running her DR10 in our yard:

What do you want to know about them? They are basically the same as the DR10 and ProSC10, of which, we own and bash both. They are pretty durable, and can take a fairly good amount of abuse, no matter what way they are set up (drag car, SCT, SWB dirt stock car (the SR10 is a SWB version of the Trophy Rat)), and, even running them at a concrete skate park, the only thing that has broken so far is the rear bumper and rear shock tower on my ProSC10. Here is a video of her running her DR10 in our yard:
Thanks for the info & video, I appreciate it. I was really interested in the durability more than anything, and based on your experience they sound very durable.

Thanks for the info & video, I appreciate it. I was really interested in the durability more than anything, and based on your experience they sound very durable.
This post shows a bit more about how she uses her DR10, as well as shows a comparison between the DR10 and ProSC10, as well as a few pics showing just how hard she can be on it: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/thread...-as-a-stunt-truck-oh-n-it’s-possessed.138009/

One thing about the Trophy Rat, the finished body is impossible to get anymore by itself, so, for hers, that body sits on a shelf, and she runs it with a beater ProSC10 body i had laying around.

They're really more of a lightweight race truck, as a basher they're OK for light stuff, maybe around a dirt backyard track. But any of the Arrma 4x4's are going to take much more of a beating and be more versatile IMO.

I've got a million videos on the ProSC10 version up.

They're really more of a lightweight race truck, as a basher they're OK for light stuff, maybe around a dirt backyard track. But any of the Arrma 4x4's are going to take much more of a beating and be more versatile IMO.

I've got a million videos on the ProSC10 version up.
Thanks man, I'm really not a hardcore basher so this platform would work out pretty well for me. Plus it'd add some diversity to my RC lineup (y)

My buddy's just showed up with all four shocks fluid leaked out in the box.
Tell him to check the O-Rings in the bottom of the shocks. They tear easy, and if they are over or under tightened, will leak badly. If it isnt that, then someone didnt tighten the caps enough. It is somewhat common on AE RTR stuff.

Tell him to check the O-Rings in the bottom of the shocks. They tear easy, and if they are over or under tightened, will leak badly. If it isnt that, then someone didnt tighten the caps enough. It is somewhat common on AE RTR stuff.

He said the caps were extremely tight.

Idk what you need for body mounts though, you may have to get creative. Maybe the Proline mounts will work.
Actually, the holes in the front of the body are way too far forward for it to fit a Slash, unless you have the Fiesta Rally ST bumper and mounts. The rears fit perfectly though. I ended up drilling 2 new holes in both my DR10 and Prosc10 bodies. I originally tried putting the body mount between the shocks and shock mount, with longer screws, and, it almost fits, but, the body mount I used wouldn't stay.

If you are into 2WD, go for it. Remember that it is an Associated RTR model, far from a TA race proven platform. IMHO. It is a ThunderTiger product in reality. TT owns TA now. Their race kits are in a different league. When the licensed Trophy Rat gets discontinued, good luck on getting some parts. I was TA fanboy until I got caught out there with my SCT Pro SE 4x4. Sits on the shelf only 6 month after I bought it. Far from durable from normal parts wear alone. No parts support now Discontinued. Both diffs are blown out. No RTR TA stuff for me anymore. Their XP RTR radios are also The worst crap going. A carryover radio from Old tech. Signal drops, poor range, runaways etc. Interference..... RTR ESC's are garbage from years past.
When TA discontinues a RTR model, they shut down parts support right away. They sell off the remaining parts in bulk for pennies on the dollar to the highest bidder RC vendor and then for a short while you are paying triple the retail price on parts, until they are all gone. Leaving you high and dry. Been there. Never again. Spoke with TA directly. They knew I was pissed and basically laughed at me. Trying to sell me that next new RTR. TA/TT RTR stuff sucks for this reason MHO. If you like that Trophy Rat body, just buy one and put it on another brand's chassis.:ROFLMAO:
It is a nice looking body. Can't deny. It was a licensed design.
Racing TA models is what got me into the hobby back in the 1990's. TT bought them and and TA went downhill from there. TA's Race program is all that matters to TT. And rest on their laurels in regards. The Element line is not even that popular as Crawlers go.

Last edited:
If you are into 2WD, go for it. Remember that it is an Associated RTR model, far from a TA race proven platform. IMHO. It is a ThunderTiger product in reality. TT owns TA now. Their race kits are in a differnt league. When the licensed Trophy Rat gets discontinued, good luck on getting some parts. I was TA fanboy until i got caught out here with my SCT pro SE 4x4x. Sits on the shelf only 6 month after I bought it. No parts support. Discontinued. Both diffs are blown out. No RTR TA stuff for me anymore. Their XP RTR radios are also The worst crap going. A carryover radio from many Old tech. Signal drops, poor range, RTR ESC's are garbage from years past.
When TA discontinues the model, they shut down parts support right away. They sell off the remaining parts in bulk for pennies on the dollar to the higest bidder RC vendor and then for a short while you are paying triple the retail price on parts, until they are all gone. Been there. Never again. TA/TT RTR stuff sucks for this reason iMHO. If you like the body, just buy one and put it on another brand's chassis.:ROFLMAO:
When the Trophy Rat was first released they had parts listed as discontinued already. I was looking at that and thinking to myself how tf are parts for a new model already discontinued?

Be careful is all I am saying. Don't be that guy. Like me. If there was ever a $$ Loss for me in this hobby, aside from 2 Redcats, it was Team Associated. Stay only with their Race kits if anything. TA's RTR stuff are Hit and Run money grabs. Then quickly discontinued and get you for another...A Poor RC business model.
There is more to an RC than a beautiful looking body and it nice marketting.

Edited.

Few are buying TA RTR stuff IMHO. Slow sellers at best. :unsure: Based on $marketting$ hype.
I see many sponsored RC YT reviews say many times that TA RTR's "must be great because of TA's long standing Racing accomplishments" What crap. Even when Demo'ing their Element platform.:sick:
Those TA hey days are gone.
Or TT wouldn't keep discontinuing them. A pattern since the 2000's ever since TT bought TA.

Last edited:
Geez, it's already extremely difficult locating some of the parts to keep my ECX Torment alive, it would drive me nuts if I had 2 vehicles like that in my fleet.

The thing about TRX and Arrma/HH is that they keep the parts train moving, and for many years. It's why they dominate IMHO. The other brands, simply have Hit and Run money grab models on the cheap more for the casual wannabe RC'er for a few weeks that will throw his Broken unfixable RC in the corner of the garage after a few months of use, and never look at it again for years. Then sell it on FleaBay years later like it was gold or something. :ROFLMAO: I see this all the time. I am sure we all have.

Last edited:
The Trophy Rat/ProSC10/Pro2SC10 is a rear motor version of the SC5M race truck. It also shares all transmission parts with the RB10/DR10/etc.

I’m not saying parts won’t eventually go out of stock, but this platform is the basis for all of their RTR 2wd kits, and is based on the previous generation B5 series. I actually think it will be around for a long time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back