Testing solder joint.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingpin

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Amateur solderer using good equipment here.
I had to solder extensions to my ESC (mamba monster x 8s) 8 or 10g wires.
Without hooking a battery up is there a way I can use my voltage tester to check the quality of my joints?
I guess I would be checking for resistance?

not sure about using a tester but you can Inspect the joints visually. They should look shiny and completely cover the wire and a portion of the connector equal to the surface area of the wire. How about a picture so we can see them.

not sure about using a tester but you can Inspect the joints visually. They should look shiny and completely cover the wire and a portion of the connector equal to the surface area of the wire. How about a picture so we can see them.

I forgot to take pics. They were shiny. I spread the wires in like a circle and jammed them all together. I then took a piece of wire and wrapped it around to tighten it up. I removed that wire and then fluxed the crap out it. Heated the bottom of the wire until it was hot enough for my solder to melt on top. Only thing is there was some loose single strands but I snipped them off. It was a solid mass and shiny.

Pics? When I extend wires I use bullet connectors.

I was going to do that but something in my head was telling me that I thought you weren't supposed to do that.

I’m sure you will be fine, next time tin each end first that way you won’t get loose strands and the solder will flow better when connecting the two ends. I wouldn’t worry about bullets unless your going to be taking it apart a lot and if you are extending you already have them present. Keep the Tip clean and practice makes perfect.

The Best way to be sure > is to practice..
Meaning using some spare cables of the same exact gauge and soldering them together just as you would on the final 'product'.
Visually inspect, yes. But most importantly is to physically try to pull your soldered joint apart.. Multiple ways and a couple of manly jerks to see if they separate. If not after all that, then you can assume it's good to go.

You do that couple of times practicing ,you'll eventually to get familiar to what makes a strong solder joint.

And, here's two decent vids talking about soldering ,for future reference:

Last edited:
The Best way to be use > is to practice..
Meaning using some spare cables of the same exact gauge and soldering them together just as you would on the final 'product'.
Visually inspect, yes. But most importantly is to physically try to pull your soldered joint apart.. Multiple ways and a couple of manly jerks to see if they separate. If not after all that, then you can assume it's good to go.

You do that couple of times practicing ,you'll eventually to get familiar to what makes a strong solder joint.

And, here's two decent vids talking about soldering ,for future reference:

This is the way I did it but the problem is the 10g wire is very fine strands and very tough to splay together. This is the reason I used a piece of wire to wrap around them to tighten the bundle up. They have the consistency of hair IMO.

You can't tin this first and then solder together right?
It's like a frikking mop the wires. LOL

IMG_20220210_195801.jpg
IMG_20220210_195813.jpg

Twist the wires. I just soldered stuff all last night. Twist the wire, put your iron on top of the wire and feed solder into the wire. It should heat up pretty quickly. Then put some solder in the bullet and apply the wire.

I find it also helps when you panic and end up burning yourself…

If you're soldering them side by side sure but doing #1 in the option shown above you won't be able to splay them together right?
You would hard pressed to splay these wires together. Works great with copper. A little twisting will take care of the mop in most cases however I’ve used clean vice grips on occasion to shape the wire after tinning. Personally I won’t use bullet connectors unless necessary ads another possible failure point. Not as big of a worry on ground base rc but I fly as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back