The absolute state of the ARRMA aftermarket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
I have been getting a bit fed up by the aftermarket and what they have been up to specially recently. It has really openned my eyes since i jumped on the 6s line of trucks and now on the v2 arrma 4s trucks.

The most recent thing the aftermarket has been pushing is "upgrade fixes for the 4s trucks. by offering chassis reinfocements that bolt under the chassis and a solid metal tube as T2T. By installing a solid metal part as T2T the flex of the front will be transfered to the rear. So in a heavy nose crash the rear is going to break. Saw countless of people on facebook and other groups being conpletely confused on how did the rear off the truck snap off after a frontal colision.

They were all running a solid aftermarket chassis brace. Installing a center metal reinforcement on top of that in the middle will make the car more fragile and vulnerable because it restricts the flexibility of the chassis. The chassis will break either on the middle of the front gearbox or in the rear where the power module connects making the metal skid reinforcement an outter waste of money. All it does is make ur rc more fragile on both ends, only positive thingis ur chassis wont break in half and might survive a hit on the brace. The 6s metal chassis flexes a lot without you knowing making it a solid piece like a 7075 bathtub one is a receipt for complete disaster. Theres a reason nobody now buys those or make those kind of chassis. Kevin talbot did once with his v3 kraton 6s and it was a complete waste. It broke when you farted next to it. The solution to the v2 chassis issues can easily be dealth with by adding preload to the cebter chassi brace, changing the hinge pins for longer ones and upgrade the hinge pin braket.

The aftermarket is straight up wasting our time and money over solutions that do not tackle the problem but they market it to be a problem fixer anyway and they cost an arm. Im truly really disappointed. Since i own a rtr v5 truck and an exb truck whatever big youtuber tell you to upgrade is all a big scheme. Ur rc does not need 2k in upgrades. It only needs a reliable transmission and chassis. I torture my v5 chassis. Why spend 50$ for a single shock tower when you can bend back one or twice the factory ones before they are junk? And they cost 7$ a pair from jennys. And when the 50$ bents or breaks what u going to do? Buy a another 50$ shock tower.

I crash into trees and everything and my arms are still good. Sure i did bend a few pins a tiny bit and developped micro cracks in the inner holes in the arms. But why would you go out spend what 100$ on a captured hinge pin set and make it a complete pain in the ass to work on when you have to do maintenance for the claim that its going to "increase the durability" of the vehicule?.

I talk about this in the perspective of money. Sure if you have tons of money and don't mind to burn more money than you have to and ending up spending more money on more fixes/upgrades as a result then ignore this post. But majority of us we try to avoid burning money so that we can buy other things tgat are more valuable and useful for our hobby

Last edited:
If it’s a must need I’ll grab it. I’ve cut back on my spending habits since i ditched both of my limitless. Now for the 5th scale I’ve come to terms with replacing what breaks with either M2C or RPM. But there’s different levels of people in the hobby. The ones who want a show queen…. And the newbie’s that don’t know any better yet… then the ones who think they think upgrades cure everything

then the ones who think they think upgrades cure everything
1685235563546.png

I think this holds true for the 6s line but not the 4s trucks in my experience.
they are good for what they are. They are good at skate parks. If you push it or threat it like if its a 6s its going to not end well obviously. My biggest issue with mine was the steering. I converted mine to the LWB with the v1 kraton body. Should handle even better now

I have a few upgraded cars from m2c custom rc upgrades and scorched rc and there all very durable and feel more planted when running them which I like. but I got a new kraton 6s v5 at christmas and have left it completely stock not even put any bumpers on or skid plates on . I have been bashing it as hard as I all my upgraded cars and the only thing that has broke was the servo but I replaced it with the same one from ebay and its been fine for months. only other thing is I put a high speed fan on the motor and in the esc. think they got it right with the v5 kraton (y)

I have a few upgraded cars from m2c custom rc upgrades and scorched rc and there all very durable and feel more planted when running them which I like. but I got a new kraton 6s v5 at christmas and have left it completely stock not even put any bumpers on or skid plates on . I have been bashing it as hard as I all my upgraded cars and the only thing that has broke was the servo but I replaced it with the same one from ebay and its been fine for months. only other thing is I put a high speed fan on the motor and in the esc. think they got it right with the v5 kraton (y)
Might feel more planted because its considerably heavier than stock. I feel my trucks are a bit more planted now than before because the springs got a tiny bit softer with time. Im running kraton springs on my nero and the new springs raised my kraton up quite a bit and made it a bit stiffer feeling.

In fairness to what you're saying, I'll add that I got back into RC cars this December when I bought a largely stock noto and since then I have literally not broken one thing. Now, I just bought a full m2ced kraton for pennies-on-the-dollar and on the second outing it broke a turnbuckle ballcup. I got a chuckle out of that.

With all that being said, I love the Arrma aftermarket. It's one of the only reasons I run arrma. So many fun things to buy and try. Lots of ways to customize your car. It may not be worth it to YOU to spend $50 on a random part but for me it is. I don't apologize to anyone for spending money on stuff I enjoy. You get this same attitude with full-size cars. For example, people will talk crap if you buy the latest technology injectors, fuel pump or turbo. "You don't NEED all this fancy stuff to make xyz horsepower", they'll say. But here's the trick, none of us NEED any of this crap. I don't NEED a toy rc car, I don't NEED a 700hp full-sized car. These are items that exist purely for my amusement and don't affect anyone else's life in any way. Therefore, I don't care what people do to their cars and you shouldn't either. Some people like to blow money (me), others don't.

Last edited:
In fairness to what you're saying, I'll add that I got back into RC cars this December when I bought a largely stock noto and since then I have literally not broken one thing. Now, I just bought a full m2ced kraton for pennies-on-the-dollar and on the second outing it broke a turnbuckle ballcup. I got a chuckle out of that.

With all that being said, I love the Arrma aftermarket. It's one of the only reasons I run arrma. So many fun things to buy and try. Lots of ways to customize your car. It may not be worth it to YOU to spend $50 on a random part but for me it is. I don't apologize to anyone for spending money on stuff I enjoy. You get this same attitude with full-size cars. For example, people will talk crap if you buy the latest technology injectors, fuel pump or turbo. "You don't NEED all this fancy stuff to make xyz horsepower", they'll say. But here's the trick, none of us NEED any of this crap. I don't NEED a toy rc car, I don't NEED a 700hp full-sized car. These are items that exist purely for my amusement and don't affect anyone else's life in any way. Therefore, I don't care what people do to their cars and you shouldn't either. Some people like to blow money (me), others don't.
My issue is not buying parts to enjoy but the marketing on how this part will improve your rc durability when it doesn’t or trying to fix issues that aren’t issues to begin with and charge crazy money for them. We have yet to see an aftermarket company making a better servo saver for the 6s vehicules and a 3s servo saver. Like thats one of the biggest complains since for ever and none of them has made one.

My issue is not buying parts to enjoy but the marketing on how this part will improve your rc durability when it doesn’t or trying to fix issues that aren’t issues to begin with and charge crazy money for them. We have yet to see an aftermarket company making a better servo saver for the 6s vehicules and a 3s servo saver. Like thats one of the biggest complains since for ever and none of them has made one.
BQ makes a decent 6s servo saver

Fair enough. Can't disagree with this.

don't no why they don't change the servo saver back to how it was in the first place they have taken a step back with that one and not changed it for years. its a right pain having to put clips under the thing to make it work properly :unsure:

don't no why they don't change the servo saver back to how it was in the first place they have taken a step back with that one and not changed it for years. its a right pain having to put clips under the thing to make it work properly :unsure:
Because it will cost money and the R&D. When a company does somwthing they never revert back

When I started out again in the hobby, I had the mentality that if it broke, I will upgrade. It didn't matter if that break was a genuine weakness that needed addressing, or if the truck landed on its nose from 30 feet in the skatepark. As a result my Outcast is a bloated, M2C'd, Scorched, Vitavon, big Hobbywing etc pig and it breaks constantly.

As I got more into the hobby 2 things happen. The biggest one was stopping and asking did that break as a result of it being weak, or is the reality that I exceeded the capabilities of a toy car. For example, I kept ripping out bulkheads when I go to the skatepark so I spent £200 on Scorched CNC'd ones. The reality is it's a toy car landing on concrete from 30 feet over and over again. It is what it is.

The second is I got better at driving. In hindsight the literal thousands I have spent on mods I should have spent on battery packs and an inventory of basic spares to keep me going. Wheel time is far more fun, and the more time I spend driving, the less time I spend fixing.

But it's a free market. I love looking at the latest and greatest modification and deciding if it's worth it or not. I would say there is a lot less rubbish than 15 years ago when forums where awash with aluminium monstrosities

If your jumping out there keep it plastic, keep CA glue with you and for the 3s keep jb weld around. The brace kept it together but don't land on the roof🤣. Luckily it's a small bend and was able to straight it out. Worth the money??🤔

20230527_150657.jpg

Because it will cost money and the R&D. When a company does somwthing they never revert back
they have gone backwards strange how they have sorted most of the weak points out on the v5 and then put a crap none adjustable servo saver in they must no its crap everybodys been moaning about it for years

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back