Typhon The Evol Speed Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, here is my next "I'm a noob Speed Runner" question.

I see many of you experienced Speed Runners using large capacity batteries, i.e. 5000 - 6000 mAh. It is my understanding that capacity on really help duration of time you can run. If you are only running for 1 to 3 runs, why not use a 4000, 3000, or even lower capacity battery with the same specs? Voltage and discharge rate should be the same, no? Is there some other advantage to using these high capacity batteries?

Sorry if I am missing the obvious answer, but I always have a need to fully understand things :)
This is another big perk of the castle data logs. During a run you voltage will sag alot. Larger batteries will help. Fastest guys often run 2 of them in parallel to give 10000mAh or 12000mAh

This is another big perk of the castle data logs. During a run you voltage will sag alot. Larger batteries will help. Fastest guys often run 2 of them in parallel to give 10000mAh or 12000mAh
OH MY!!! This voltage sag must be serious! Not sure how to even that under a Typhon shell! lol

So the larger the battery capacity = less voltage sag? Which is different than ripple issues I assume?

Sorry for all the questions. And I do have the Castle XL X now, but I have not installed yet. So I am sure this stuff will make more sense once I start logging.

Tnx

OH MY!!! This voltage sag must be serious! Not sure how to even that under a Typhon shell! lol

So the larger the battery capacity = less voltage sag? Which is different than ripple issues I assume?

Sorry for all the questions. And I do have the Castle XL X now, but I have not installed yet. So I am sure this stuff will make more sense once I start logging.

Tnx
You are correct ripple is different from sag and the larger batteries or adding a second in parallel will reduce the sag that occurs. Also higher quality batteries with high C values helps. (except those numbers are all imaginary now days) I'd stick with known high quality batteries. (I personally use Turnigy Graphene)

During a speed run you can drop as much as 1v per cell.
Consider 6v drop and the kv of the motor. You have lost 12k rpm for example with a 2000kv motor.
Seeing that for the first time in data logs blew my mind!
A specific example I have was running the XMaxx on 34v (8 cell) and the logs showed dips down to 25volts! I was using two 4s SMC 150c LiPos in series to make 8s that were 6000mAh.

-Liberty

Last edited:
Tuggified Speed Typhon! :)
IMG_20190428_200324.jpg
IMG_20190428_200334.jpg

I have always just been a basher but after looking at yalls thread and a few others I think I'm gonna try to build one myself... I'm sure I'll probably destroy the first one but as long as I don't hurt myself or anyone els this could be fun! gonna look at some different builds and try to find some inspiration ....

I have always just been a basher but after looking at yalls thread and a few others I think I'm gonna try to build one myself... I'm sure I'll probably destroy the first one but as long as I don't hurt myself or anyone els this could be fun! gonna look at some different builds and try to find some inspiration ....
I will definitely say its fun and worth it. But I will warn ya, its can get pricey, depending on how far you plan on taking it! Good Luck!

I will definitely say its fun and worth it. But I will warn ya, its can get pricey, depending on how far you plan on taking it! Good Luck!
it's all pricey lol just looking for something new to try I guess trying to find a typhon now just gotta find a really good deal or senton

my inspiration I was looking for
Ahhh, the extended chassis.... I am still on the fence on that one. But a SICK looking car none the less!

I thought about doing a front splitter like that one, but I felt it was a bit complicated for my current fabrication skill level. Lol.

Ahhh, the extended chassis.... I am still on the fence on that one. But a SICK looking car none the less!

I thought about doing a front splitter like that one, but I felt it was a bit complicated for my current fabrication skill level. Lol.
for me it makes it easier cause I have the chassis already but idk man I think I'll start with a standard typhon and just work up to that lol

for me it makes it easier cause I have the chassis already but idk man I think I'll start with a standard typhon and just work up to that lol
If you already have the chassis, go for it! You can find good deals on just the parts you need. I would piece it together and avoid buying a whole new car just to take it apart and not use many of the parts. But the spare parts can be nice. XD Good luck and keep us posted.

The AVC rx needs to be mounted horizontally to work properly, so I feel this caused some issues.
Welp, I was wrong about this. The receiver actually learns it orientation at the time it is bind. So make sure to have it orientated correctly when binding. :)

If you already have the chassis, go for it! You can find good deals on just the parts you need. I would piece it together and avoid buying a whole new car just to take it apart and not use many of the parts. But the spare parts can be nice. XD Good luck and keep us posted.
only reason I want a typhon is cause iv never had one I'll play around with the stock car just to get used to it then use my chassis i already have and other stuff to build the speed run buggy I'll probably beef up the typhon and bash it like all my other stuff lol after iv had my fun with the stock set up but you make a good point no doubt it would be the cheaper rout I just want one to be honest

#digger_rc photos & videos

credit goes to this guy found him on Instagram all his builds are one of a kind best work iv seen yet with the speed builds I'll see if I can steal a few more pics lol I'm sure he wont mind

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back