Typhon The Evol Speed Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evol_13

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Welp, @Dutch213 and @GMballistic have inspired me to build a Speed Typhon.

I am positive I know way less than them about this kinda thing, so I will be shamelessly hijacking their ideas, as well as anyone else I come across XD

So far, I have nabbed a Typhon slider from Ebay, some GRP S4 wheels, and a clear body (I like to paint my own)...... oh, and I already have my GPS :cool:

Hopefully I will have the time required to complete this build in a timely manner.

Here are some pics

Welp, @Dutch213 and @GMballistic have inspired me to build a Speed Typhon.

I am positive I know way less than them about this kinda thing, so I will be shamelessly hijacking their ideas, as well as anyone else I come across XD

So far, I have nabbed a Typhon slider from Ebay, some GRP S4 wheels, and a clear body (I like to paint my own)...... oh, and I already have my GPS :cool:

Hopefully I will have the time required to complete this build in a timely manner.

Here are some pics

View attachment 34967

View attachment 34968

View attachment 34969
Any idea on what motor you plan on getting? They all seem to like the TP brand. Looking forward to watching your progress.

Great stuff @Evol_13 looking forward to seeing how you get on. We're all learning as we go I think tbh. ;)

I've had a lot of helpful tips along the way from other speed runners on YouTube like Phillip Jolley and Brandon (Innovation RC) who've been doing this for a long time now & have learnt their craft.

Good luck with it all. Subbed. (y)

Any idea on what motor you plan on getting? They all seem to like the TP brand. Looking forward to watching your progress.
Yes everyone does seem to be going with a TP motor. I am also looking at those. However, I am first going to work on the chassis setup. I just ordered a carbon fiber sheet and am going to try my hand at creating a few things. I fully intend on destroying the first sheet as practice. LOL

I may throw my BLX system from my Talion in the Typhon once I have the chassis the way I want it, just to get some base numbers.

@GMballistic and @phildogg Thank you!

For now I have a modest goal of simply entering the 100mph club. But once there, I am sure I will be pulled to want more :cool:

Side note: Phildogg, I see you recommend the XLX over the Max5. I was curious as to why? Easier to tune, better BEC, or something else? Asking because I was considering the Max5 over the Castle originally.

I have had both ESCs in an X-Maxx 8s, and there are many good things about both ESCs. Data logs are a speed runners best friend.
Seeing loads, watts, ripple voltage and rpms are very helpful to determine if a gear change is needed, cap packs, etc.

I realize things change after going out and going fast a few times, but what are your current goals?

-Liberty

Currently, I am aiming to clear 100mph. I know many have done this on the stock electronics, but I know I will want to reach for the 120's eventually.... If I don't smash my Typhon to bits before then.

I want to ease into this a bit, bc I have never driven an RC car higher than 70ish. So I would like to hit milestones, and not go for any world records right away.

But what you say about data logging makes complete sense. I can see how that would be a huge help.

Definitely take baby steps, make sure you have no radio issues.
Another perk to the Castle ESC is the option for drag brake. Just in case it does drop reception it will automatically apply the brake instead of coasting off at 100+
Alignments and stiff suspensions are important, I also highly recommend a raked stance where the tail end is jacked up higher than the front. It will naturally squat back down some under power. The number 1 enemy is having the front end lift up.
Aero drag is the enemy of speed. Check out Phill's videos, he has hundreds...(king of speed) look at how he sets up his cars/trucks.

I may end up doing a little speed running with my Kraton also, even though I told my self I wouldn't. I just cant resist :)

-Liberty

You're welcome and FYI phildogg on here is the legend that is Philip Jolley on YouTube.
:king:

Worth watching all of his videos and subscribing if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1g2__nXBMR6SqQkehkevwA/featured

Also check out these guys too: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsJjXrrnKSuTrih97FOQjwg

Currently, I am aiming to clear 100mph. I know many have done this on the stock electronics, but I know I will want to reach for the 120's eventually.... If I don't smash my Typhon to bits before then.

I want to ease into this a bit, bc I have never driven an RC car higher than 70ish. So I would like to hit milestones, and not go for any world records right away.
Sounds like you're being sensible and have the same sort of goals as myself.

One thing I'd say though is try not to get caught up in trying to do too much too soon, ...no point buying things or fitting things you don't need or that don't work, so research and more research, but I think you're doing that already.

I love working on my Typhon and it's almost as much fun as running it, well "almost", but not quite. I think you're really going to enjoy this. :D

@GMballistic and @phildogg Thank you!

For now I have a modest goal of simply entering the 100mph club. But once there, I am sure I will be pulled to want more :cool:

Side note: Phildogg, I see you recommend the XLX over the Max5. I was curious as to why? Easier to tune, better BEC, or something else? Asking because I was considering the Max5 over the Castle originally.
Hobbywing esc have built in protection and when trying to speedrun they will cut out. xlx will pull the amps and castle has the only good esc for speed runs. xlx has data logging also, very tunable also.

You're welcome and FYI phildogg on here is the legend that is Philip Jolley on YouTube.
:king:

Worth watching all of his videos and subscribing if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1g2__nXBMR6SqQkehkevwA/featured

Also check out these guys too: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsJjXrrnKSuTrih97FOQjwg

Sounds like you're being sensible and have the same sort of goals as myself.

One thing I'd say though is try not to get caught up in trying to do too much too soon, ...no point buying things or fitting things you don't need or that don't work, so research and more research, but I think you're doing that already.

I love working on my Typhon and it's almost as much fun as running it, well "almost", but not quite. I think you're really going to enjoy this. :D
thanks brother.. idk about a legend. I just have always been into speed runs and promoting the hobby.

My first attempt at fabricating anything. Not the prettiest, but I'm kinda happy. ?
It looks fit for purpose which is the main thing so you should be happy.
I assume you're going to put a velcro strap around it though or at least some sort of tether wire on your GPS just in case? Better safe than sorry imho.

I like how low you're going btw, ...you've replaced your droop screws (grub screws) with longer cap head screws then I take it?
Might have to do that myself at some point if only because the standard droop screws are a nuisance to adjust.
Looking good. (y)

Really liking this build, along with the other Typhon speed run builds on this forum, lots of useful information(y). I'm curious to see how the S4 tires perform, I almost bought a set but held back. Love the look of the black GRP's and how low you've went with you're ride height:eek:. I'm also liking the fact you chose to go with the clear body. I like to paint my own as well.

It looks fit for purpose which is the main thing so you should be happy.
I assume you're going to put a velcro strap around it though or at least some sort of tether wire on your GPS just in case? Better safe than sorry imho.

I like how low you're going btw, ...you've replaced your droop screws (grub screws) with longer cap head screws then I take it?
Might have to do that myself at some point if only because the standard droop screws are a nuisance to adjust.
Looking good. (y)
Thanks, been busy with work and have not had much time to work on it.

Yep, I will def wrap some velcro around it. In truth, I see this one as more of a template. Just seeing where the screws need to go, as well as getting use to cutting the aluminum. I found out today that I need some proper dremel bits for metal and carbon fiber. Once I get those, I will remake the GPS holder I think.

Yep, replaced the droop "grub" screws. Though they still are starting to come off the chassis. But I saw someone loctite a nut on the end to help with this. I may explore this or a diff option, like maybe a cap of some sort.

Really liking this build, along with the other Typhon speed run builds on this forum, lots of useful information(y). I'm curious to see how the S4 tires perform, I almost bought a set but held back. Love the look of the black GRP's and how low you've went with you're ride height:eek:. I'm also liking the fact you chose to go with the clear body. I like to paint my own as well.
Thanks. Ya, I always make custom bodies for my car. Its part of the fun of making it "my own".

I was not sure what compound to get. I read a few posts, but did not see anything definitive, so I hope the S4 end up working well for me.

Thanks. Ya, I always make custom bodies for my car. Its part of the fun of making it "my own".

I was not sure what compound to get. I read a few posts, but did not see anything definitive, so I hope the S4 end up working well for me.
Yeah making it your own is the main reason I mostly paint up my own bodies, that and I like to paint Loll. I actually ran the factory blue body with my V3 Typhon, but threw some custom camouflage decals on it. I didn't keep my V3 very long, and sold it but instantly regretted it. I just got a V4 roller chassis on Ebay, along with an unpainted body. I'll definitely be checking in to see how the S4 tires work for you, good luck with your project..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back