Outcast Thicc boi Outcast build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ross_jsy

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Mega
  2. Outcast 6s
  3. Talion
Hi guys

A bit late to start a build thread as there isn’t much left to do, but I’ll keep track of anything I do in here.

Started off with an early model Outcast that I picked up second hand in great condition, then over time as things broke I upgraded it to a v5 with parts from a kit breaker whilst upgrading as I go.

It has:
Hobbywing Max 6 combo
M2C chassis and braces
CRCU ABCD blocks
Scorched bulkheads
Just Bash It thick towers
Scorched standoffs
Vitavon steering rack
RPM wing mount
Savox servo

Probably some other stuff I’ve forgotten. Probably wouldn’t build it like this if I was to start again, or at least not on the Outcast platform but a bit late now lol

Next stage is to swap the diffs out for EXB items. I’m just using my stock of standard diff parts before I swap but it’s getting boring doing a diff every outing. The last 3 bashes have resulted in 3 broken out drives

BA7445C2-43FC-467E-B3BD-26FF272C9104.jpeg

4135479B-05A8-4F51-9701-084D28639609.jpeg

F3905383-EA20-44EA-8D2C-76CFDE81FE46.jpeg

54A5E7A9-7798-40A1-816D-B23880463D4D.jpeg

Nice build, man! Also, if you wanted to keep the stock diffs you can buy hardened steel outdrives for them. I know the pins are stronger in the EXB diffs but I’m not nuts about setting them up. It usually takes me a few tries to get them just right. I can set up the regular diffs really well with my eyes closed I think. 😂. I like tuning diffs with different viscosity fluids too, not by swapping the orientation of the plates.
Just me.
Have fun with this thing, it’s a tank!

Cheers bro!

I hear you about the diffs but I’ve had enough and need to try something new. You know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result? Yeah I’m there man.

I’m good at building and shimming them, but started going through the drive pins every bash so replaced them with 2.25mm HSS drill blanks and now the output drive is snapping where the pin goes through. So going to give the EXB ones a go but convert them to open. Something has gotta work bro!

Cheers bro!

I hear you about the diffs but I’ve had enough and need to try something new. You know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result? Yeah I’m there man.

I’m good at building and shimming them, but started going through the drive pins every bash so replaced them with 2.25mm HSS drill blanks and now the output drive is snapping where the pin goes through. So going to give the EXB ones a go but convert them to open. Something has gotta work bro!
Best of luck man, I've had nothing but problems with the EXB diffs. Even in open orientation the plates seem to wear down quickly then the gears get play and I shred gears constantly in there. I actually downgraded to the standard diff on my outcast rear, but lo and behold I shredded the ring gear or pinion. Can't win with the 6s diffs.

I wish Horizon would have just Tanked up the stock diff... I rebuilt a Team Corally and was surprised the diff's look NEW... I didn't even see any wear on the ring or pinion..

The entire truck uses only two sizes of bearings (both hub bearings are also larger), its great.

After 20+ packs my Redcat Volcano diffs have never been touched..

Cheers bro!

Not saying you’re necessarily doing it, but for them to break that often (pins) and then to upgrade pins and start breaking outdrives I’d guess you were regularly landing jumps on the throttle or brake. There’s nothing that will break diffs quicker than this, and you can’t stop it.
If you upgraded to hardened outdrives next, with hardened pins, and landed on throttle/brake you’d start lunching the diff gears.
Doesn’t matter what diff it is or how you set them up at that point, especially with heavy rigs like yours.

So going to give the EXB ones a go but convert them to open. Something has gotta work bro!
I don't use the plates in any of my 4-6s rigs, all exb diffs, open...zero problems. I bash hard. Land on throttle from time to time trying to get the rig around and land on tires. Hopefully it works out for you too!

Not saying you’re necessarily doing it, but for them to break that often (pins) and then to upgrade pins and start breaking outdrives I’d guess you were regularly landing jumps on the throttle or brake. There’s nothing that will break diffs quicker than this, and you can’t stop it.
If you upgraded to hardened outdrives next, with hardened pins, and landed on throttle/brake you’d start lunching the diff gears.
Doesn’t matter what diff it is or how you set them up at that point, especially with heavy rigs like yours.
I wish you were correct dude, but I’ve not jumped it in a while, been running it round a field as the skatepark is rammed.

The reality is it’s the weight and power, my basically stock Talion doesn’t have the same issues. It’s why I say if I was to build it again I wouldn’t build it this way. Too much a case of oh it broke I’d better upgrade it rather than oh it broke landing upside down on a quarter pipe coping from 30 feet up, maybe don’t do that again

I ran it last night on 4s in a smaller gravel area and had a blast

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back