Outcast EXB Build—-An Outcast named Ponyboy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tossed the Surpass 1650kv motor in temporarily and started working on getting the max6 mounted to the factory esc plate. The motor wires could be a touch longer but it should work.

IMG_8054.jpeg

Thanks for the kind words, brothers. It’s a shame so much of it gets covered up by side guards. Getting it dirty for the first time is definitely going to be a sad experience.

Today’s progress, I got all four shocks rebuilt. Nothing fancy, just went back together with 80wt TLR oil. I went back and forth whether to do gold caps/collars with silver bodies or vice versa. I figured if I ever end up going to aftermarket caps, they’d already be silver so I went this route.

IMG_8071.jpeg

Made a little more progress, got a lot of the front/rear swapped over from the original EXB. Still need to swap out a few red bits for gold ones, but it’s getting close to being a roller/slider again. I’ll probably build the diffs last, cause that is my least favorite part of the build. Can’t really see them, but I did use a set of M2C shock stand offs.

IMG_8197.jpeg

IMG_8199.jpeg

IMG_8200.jpeg

I’ll be running black hubs and nuts, I’ve got one of the rears on, but that’s as far as I’ve got.

Like an idiot, the upper hinge pin I sent off to be anodized had a bad thread and I missed it, so this ain’t gonna work.

IMG_8198.jpeg

And like a double idiot, I only got 3 of the needed 4 pillow(pillar?) ball retainers anodized.

IMG_8201.jpeg

It seems Bateman’s Custom Coatings has closed up shop, it sounds like he wants to try to come back, but until he does I will probably just run black retainers. The upper hinge pin, I think I’m just going to order one from ADU and go to the non-EXB upper hinge pins. Really bums me out that he had to call it quits, it was a nice way to really make a build stand out.

I need to find some wire loom that will go with the build to do the motor wires, can’t have that red/yellow/blue stuff.

I’m a bit undecided on diff oils at the moment. Planning to run all three open, if anyone has any input that would be greatly appreciated.

I’m also debating swapping the servo saver set up to the new Kraton EXB one, but I’m not sure my gold bits will transfer over. Need to do a little more research on that.

Making some more progress

IMG_8208.jpeg

IMG_8210.jpeg

IMG_8212.jpeg

IMG_8216.jpeg

Decided to throw the wing on to see how it looks. When I do the diffs I’ll have to pull it back off. I also installed the gold ball retainers on to make me feel stupider about not sending all 4. The red wheel hex that is still on there unfortunately has a stripped grub screw. I ordered replacement parts and will try to get it apart at a later date.

Looking good so far. I had to reinforce my rig as well since parts kept breaking. The aluminum bulkheads is a must as well as M2C diff output cups and driveshafts.

Got the black retainers. Decided to do one of each for now.

IMG_8634.jpeg

I also installed the ADU upper hinge pin holder. Theirs isn’t like the EXB that uses set screws. I thought I had a set of the non EXB upper hinge pins, but I don’t so they are on order. If it proves to be a weak point, I’ll just remove the red anodizing from a stocker I have laying around and go back to that.

IMG_8635.jpeg

Also got the max6 mounted on the stock esc plate. It’s held on with 3 screws and feels plenty secure.

IMG_8636.jpeg

Not pictured, but I replaced the bearings on all 4 hubs, shimmed the wheel hexes and got them loctited up.

I found a set of m2c droop screws in one of my totes, so I should probably throw those in. I also found some of the spacers to stick under the factory servo saver spring so I’ll probably chuck three of those in.

Still a fair amount of work to do, but it’s getting there. I originally bought it in like October of 2022, so why rush now?

Getting pretty close. Rebuilt the diffs, went with 60k front, 500k with a touch of 200k in the center and 30k in the rear. All diffs set to open, the front and rear I used m2c outdrives.

IMG_8932.jpeg

IMG_8934.jpeg

Wrapped the motor wires, not perfect but not bad for my second or third attempt at it. I stuck a 18t pinion on to start, don’t really want to run fans so I may have to adjust from there. I trimmed out the side guard to allow for the longer motor, and the max6 esc. I also installed a few rings under the servo saver spring to tighten that up a bit.

IMG_8930.jpeg

IMG_8931.jpeg

IMG_8933.jpeg

IMG_8935.jpeg

For some reason I thought the Outcast had a rear bumper or skid plate, but I guess not so I’ll have to pick something out for that. Otherwise it’s mainly fitting the receiver and getting everything wired up. I want to customize the stock body a little bit, but that will probably be last on the list.

Got the dumbo receiver installed and everything wired up. Had to reverse the motor rotation, but it’s ready to go. I ordered a rear bumper that was supposed to be here today, so hopefully tomorrow. Arrma did such a terrible job putting the decals on that I’ve removed most of them. I was going to do some gold accents on the stock body, but I’m kind of digging the all black look.

IMG_9074.jpeg

IMG_9073.jpeg

IMG_9077.jpeg

Wow!
Killer build that Matt. Inspirational stuff with this one (y)

Thanks brother. I’m pretty excited with how it turned out. It’s a shame you can’t see most of it with the lid on. Hopefully the bumper shows up tomorrow so I can get a run with it this weekend, excited to run it, not excited to get it dirty.

Well, USPS sucks and the bumper I ordered didn’t show up, so I decided to see how a Kraton EXB front bumper would look.

IMG_9101.jpeg

IMG_9097.jpeg

IMG_9098.jpeg

I don’t totally hate it, but I think it sticks out a little too far for the wheelie bar to do any good. I’m guessing the other bumper I ordered will also stick out too far. I’m contemplating ordering another Outcast bumper which is tucked in roughly another 1/2” or just getting a RTR Kraton front bumper and calling it a day.

That’s one clean AF OC, SIIIIIIIIIICK build sir! 🤤🤙
Wow! Just wow! Haven't checked up on ponyboy in a while.. that gold anodizing is sweeet!! Nice work bro!! Really dig it.👍😎🍻

Thank you guys. Had the vision for it for right around 18 months so it’s pretty neat to finally see it complete.

USPS really sucks, the bumper I had ordered was at my local post office yesterday in southern Minnesota and now according to tracking it is in Montgomery, Alabama.

Thank you guys. Had the vision for it for right around 18 months so it’s pretty neat to finally see it complete.

USPS really sucks, the bumper I had ordered was at my local post office yesterday in southern Minnesota and now according to tracking it is in Montgomery, Alabama.

Bigfax! Every. Single. Time. I’m just outside of Raleigh, NC, and my shitt hits Greensboro from Cali, then up to DC, then 2mi from my house in Pittsboro, then just west of Greensboro, until finally hitting the Pittsboro hub, and on to my front door.. it’s asinine..🤷🏻‍♂️😅

Back