Thinking about getting a 3d printer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clan-of-Nowina

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 3s
Good day,
As it says, thinking about it. Question would be, for a starter, which one. Been looking a the Neptune 4. Than what material is best suited to RC parts? Looking for something to learn on. Is Cura an ok program. Or would one of the free programs be best for now. It would be great to have a section here that’s pinned to answer basic questions about machines and materials. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Robert

I'd say Bambu Labs. Anything from them I'd recommend. They are SUCH good printers. A little pricey to get you started, but worth every penny
I’m on a budget. Out of work at the moment, so looking for entry level. But something that will be useful. Looking for stuff off of Amazon in particular. So the Neptune 4 is about $300 just for the printer. That’s about max for me right now. The Bambu printers would be the next level.

Good day,
As it says, thinking about it. Question would be, for a starter, which one. Been looking a the Neptune 4.

Bambu Labs
Creality K1
Neptune 4

>> They all have the approximate print volume AND run Klipper.

Than what material is best suited to RC parts?

Depends on what you are designing and for what purpose.

PETG
TPU
CF

Looking for something to learn on. Is Cura an ok program. Or would one of the free programs be best for now. It would be great to have a section here that’s pinned to answer basic questions about machines and materials. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Robert

Slicers:

Ultimaker Cura 5.6
Orca Slicer 2.0

3D programs:
That really depends on how invested You are in wanting to learn CAD.

I’m on a budget. Out of work at the moment, so looking for entry level. But something that will be useful. Looking for stuff off of Amazon in particular. So the Neptune 4 is about $300 just for the printer. That’s about max for me right now. The Bambu printers would be the next level.

You should look at Elegoo's eBay store ,they have tons of sales there..

You can get the Next size BIGGER -
Neptune 4 Plus
for $279.99
Apply the Discount Code!

Screenshot_20240317-174313.png

Last edited:
Bambu Labs
Creality K1
Neptune 4

>> They all have the approximate print volume AND run Klipper.

Depends on what you are designing and for what purpose.

PETG
TPU
CF

Slicers:

Ultimaker Cura 5.6
Orca Slicer 2.0

3D programs:
That really depends on how invested You are in wanting to learn CAD.

You should look at Elegoo's eBay store ,they have tons of sales there..

You can get the Next size BIGGER -
Neptune 4 Plus
for $279.99
Apply the Discount Code!

View attachment 355229
Thank you. As far as learning CAD, well having thought of it much, but I have a minimum of another 3 months at home due to a rotator cuff repair. So anything is possible.

Oh, I plan to make part for Airsoft and for my Senton and my Traxxas TMax project. Everything else would be just extra. But making stuff for my wife would help endear her to the idea of having a printer. Oh, and my son is all for it of course.

Last edited:
Thank you. As far as learning CAD, well having thought of it much, but I have a minimum of another 3 months at home due to a rotator cuff repair. So anything is possible.

So just to be clear..

CAD software -
Allows you to create your own 3D designs..

Fusion360
Solidworks
Onshape
SketchUp
Blender
TinkerCAD
FreeCAD
OpenSCAD

in the file format of
.stl

Slicer software -

Cura
Creality Print
OrcaSlicer
Bambu Studio
PrusaSlicer

Takes your 3D designs that you created and prep it for sending to the 3D printer to be printed.

> in the file format of
.gcode

They do NOT allow you to create designs directly.

So just to be clear..

CAD software -
Allows you to create your own 3D designs..

Fusion360
Solidworks
Onshape
SketchUp
Blender
TinkerCAD
FreeCAD
OpenSCAD

in the file format of
.stl

Slicer software -

Cura
Creality Print
OrcaSlicer
Bambu Studio
PrusaSlicer

Takes your 3D designs that you created and prep it for sending to the 3D printer to be printed.

> in the file format of
.gcode

They do NOT allow you to create designs directly.
Thank you for the clarification. So looks like I need to learn CAD.

Here's some more insight / reading material..
Make yourself a pot of coffee!

1. Here's the Cliff Notes (of what I mentioned above) >>
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/abandoned-3d-printers-restoration.69039/#post-1057845

2. What was said before about 1st printers >> https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/whats-the-go-to-place-for-3d-printers.64783/

3. What you want to know about Neptunes >>
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/elegoo-neptune-4-max.67841/
Thank you so much. I will read all the threads you linked.
Again, thank you.
Robert

And, in the meantime if you're just looking to print something that other 3D designers have created..

Look at >>

CrealityCloud.com
Cults3D.com
Thingiverse.com
Printables.com

You mean like owning a hobby grade RC vehicle? Or it will make me a thousand? Just clarifying.:unsure:

Well you had mentioned a budget, so I was just mentioning there is far more to it than just getting a machine...filament, replacement parts, the amount of failed prints while starting out, post process tools..

I go through about 2-300 dollars worth of filament per month.. The worthy materials are especially costly..

Well you had mentioned a budget, so I was just mentioning there is far more to it than just getting a machine...filament, replacement parts, the amount of failed prints while starting out, post process tools..

I go through about 2-300 dollars worth of filament per month.. The worthy materials are especially costly..
Thank you. That is one of the reasons I am making this query. I realize that all extra parts and materials will cost. 3D printing look fascinating, but I realize that it may not be for me. This discussion has opened up a lot of issues that need to be looked into. I opened up Tinkercad yesterday for a quick look. There is a learning curve there. I’ll have my son try it today. He’s 10. Probably learn faster than me. I know we can just download files and print, but it would be best if we learned to design. These are the reasons I have not pulled the trigger yet. I’m doing my due diligence first.

Thanks again,
Robert

Thank you. That is one of the reasons I am making this query. I realize that all extra parts and materials will cost. 3D printing look fascinating, but I realize that it may not be for me. This discussion has opened up a lot of issues that need to be looked into.

That's the Smart move..
To ask inquiring questions Before investing/diving in head first..

I opened up Tinkercad yesterday for a quick look. There is a learning curve there. I’ll have my son try it today. He’s 10. Probably learn faster than me. I know we can just download files and print, but it would be best if we learned to design. These are the reasons I have not pulled the trigger yet. I’m doing my due diligence first.

Thanks again,
Robert

TinkerCAD is a good starting point to dip your toes into 3D CAD.

My 10yr daughter have created her own designs.
1710772993018.png

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/what-did-you-print-cad-today.60592/page-20#post-1046930

^^^
You should go through this thread from the beginning ,to get some inspiration. 🤘

Back