Granite This is bad.... Really bad!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prisma

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
Hey everyone,
I know this is my fault for using cheap drivers, but I managed to strip the biggest most inaccessible screw in my granite. Can't access the diff. Is there anything I can do? I'd ideally not destroy the diff case with it
IMG_20210514_091802.jpg

Thanks for any replies

You could usually get a star bit or square bit to fit in there maybe even a small straight head screwdriver just have to search for whatever you have on hand.

Get some good bits and the MIP set will still probably get it out as is.

So I used to have this problem pretty frequently. What I did was bought a cheap speed-out kit from my local O'Reilly auto parts store, and then I ended up ordering a second set from Amazon. The extractors are only good for about 3 removals before they lose their bite. Especially on the black oxide screws. This probably won't work on the screw you've shown but i also have used my Dremel with a cut-off wheel to cut a notch across the head of the screw and used a flathead to extract. This is pretty hit-and-miss, I'd use a speedout for that one.I bought some decent hex drivers and bits from Amazon for not a lot of money and I haven't had any issues with camming out and wrecking the drive on my screws. The drivers I have are the ones with gold titanium coated shafts and black knurled aluminum handles. They have been really really good. Especially for the price. I got a set of Wiha bits for my screw gun and those have been excellent as well. Amazon is cool because if you get your tools and the tips don't fit snug in the fastener, you can send them back usually for a full refund. If you have the cash MIP makes the best hex drivers and bits around. They aren't cheap to put it lightly. Hope this helps.

A Wera bit is another one to try if you know anyone with Wera bits as they operate on a slightly different way on a different portion of the head so worth a punt, depends how bad you've mullered it really , good luck ...
Left handed drill bits is another suggestion for once further action is needed, because if they bite, they're going the right way to loosen... GL!

Hey everyone,
I know this is my fault for using cheap drivers, but I managed to strip the biggest most inaccessible screw in my granite. Can't access the diff. Is there anything I can do? I'd ideally not destroy the diff case with it
View attachment 145553
Thanks for any replies
Pick up one of these off Amazon, the hardware store, auto shop…
They’re amazing and work well on screws small to large.

93EBF98B-48FE-410A-94E6-5AE3134C0A76.png

I'd carefully drill the head, with a bit just bigger than the shaft diameter of the screw. The head will pop off you can remove the diff and use a pliers to remove what left of the screw. Re assemble with new screw and presto fixo your back in business!

Worst cast you drill it out and pickup a new chassis and some quality hex drivers. Maybe out $20 or so for a chassis.

Don't drill it unless its last resort. Get a torx bit one size bigger and tap it in. It should bite enough to get the screw started out. Once it's out far enough you can grab it with vice grip pliers and take it out the rest of the way.

I have a bunch of extra chassis screws if you need any, just message me. I’m east coast us.

If enough of the head of the screw is exposed to grab it with pliers I'd do that, remove the screw then try to remove the bit head from the screw. If you're careful you might be able to avoid damaging the screw head so you could reuse it. To remove the hex head I'd try to secure the screw in a vice and using pliers try to remove it. With the screw mounted in a vice you could also try using a drill bit to dissect the stuck piece.

Not sure, but it looks like he broke the screw off, or not? I don't see a head of the screw in there. And if he broke it off, I wonder what cheap tools have to do with it?
You might be right. I was looking at the other screw that was still in the bulkhead. Looked stripped. Didn't even look at the one he was holding. It does look like it broke which would mean there is only a small piece left in there. Might have to drill it out.

You might be right. I was looking at the other screw that was still in the bulkhead. Looked stripped. Didn't even look at the one he was holding. It does look like it broke which would mean there is only a small piece left in there. Might have to drill it out.
Oh wow, I was thinking the shallow bolt as well. Sux.

Back